Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I met with a dirt contractor that was recommended to me by my air-conditioner guy. The contractor built a 30 acre flooded area for the ducks for the aeration guy and he is very happy with it. They have done some adjustments over the past two yrs to improve his flooded area. Contractor and I met, walked the area I want to flood, drain and flood again each year. First plan is to thin out the brush, after that we can shoot elevation and get an idea on how large an area we can flood. Plans are to build a levee that will hold 18" to 25" of water. My thought is to grow plants, flood, drain the into a five foot ditch, a dozer blade width to catch the forage fish I plan on adding to the flooded area. Run a sein and add the forage fish to my lmb pond. The plants should provide cover for the forage fish along with attracting insects for those fish. Plans are for forage fish reproduction after the plants have grown and flooded. Maybe sooner depending on what is planted for the ducks. I am leaning toward cnbg as the forage fish along with some fhm's. The time of year due to rains and the open time for the dirt contractor will determine when we start. Anyone else ever been involved in something like this or any thing you see that I might want to consider?

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sounds like a neat idea. How large overall? Lusk once said that a forage pond ought to be rectangular and built to be seined with one end sloped and shallow.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
This is an interesting concept. So what are the plans in terms of the timing the cycle? A fall or summer fodder crop that gets flooded in late fall? How big in surface area in relation to the main pond?

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

R
R
The farmer behind me has 2 (duck ponds). They out maybe 2 - 3 ac total when full. By design they flood during the spring. They r the big circle. The smaller one is my pond (house is just out of view there).

Attached Images
Screenshot_20201024-112739_Maps.jpg

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What about rice??

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Dave, I am not sure how large it might turn out to be other than 5 to more acres, Plans are for it to be larger than the 3 acre pond I have now. It maybe two spots which would give the ducks a resting place where they would not be pressured. This area is near the bayou that runs through the bottom land at my place. I wont know how large until I can shoot elevations and can't do that till I clear out the brush. Plans are to make the bottom slope for drainage much like you mentioned. I have enough area to flood a good sized area, I just need to keep it off my neighbors land. There are two drains that run through the area. Maybe dam them up. Some years the area will flood when we get those heavy 4" or larger rains.

Timing cycle might be where the area is planted in the spring or late summer depending on what is planted. Esshup, I have planted rice along the shoreline in my pond already, it did well planted in June. I would like to plant something that might also feed the deer if planted in June, but not something the deer would eat it all up. I have several year round deer plots now. I hope to get it flooded where I would get a spawn or two of the cnbg. Remember the dozer width ditch I mentioned that would lay next to the levy. That is the area that might hold water year round. The flooded area would drain through the ditch area by using a drain and pump.

I am sure there will be a learning curve. This all came to mind when I attended my first Pond Boss Conference near Ray Hubbard lake back about 6 yrs ago. There was a speaker I went to hear but he failed to show, but I had a plan, just needed more info, just like I need today. And based on the gators that have shown up from time to time at my pond i will have to keep an eye out for them along with beavers to.

I was hoping some ideas might show up here as to what other fish might work with this for providing forage for the lmb pond. I have also thought of tp and or fresh water prawns. but I'm not sure they would work.

Has anyone had success using the drains or weirs where boards are slide into place to hold water back, if so what brand? You tube show failures due to severe leaks of this type of weirs.

Last edited by TGW1; 10/25/20 06:31 AM.

Tracy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Those are flash board riser systems. AgriDrain makes them with seals and those work pretty durn good. https://www.agridrain.com/shop/c8/structures-valves-gates/

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
G
I built one of these several yrs ago here in central MO for a fellow that was renting it to Larry Potterfield who is the owner of Midway USA, which some of you might have heard of, we built a berm about 5 ft high across the lower end of a fairly flat field with berms coming up each side on a level plain that faded to nothing, the whole thing was probably 5 acres or so, we installed one of those Agri Drain riser systems to control water levels, they drained them in the spring and planted assorted corn and other grains, then raised the water level as they needed it in the fall and winter for attracting ducks and geese, they pumped water in from a well, the theory was to bring the water level up to where the lower acre had the corn ears about head height for a floating duck, then when that forage was gone or scarce they raise the water level to put a new batch of forage within reach of the ducks.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks guys. The field where they raised the water levels as the food became short sounds interesting. Something I had not thought about. One concern in doing that here is the deer may eat all of the food if not flooded. They may dip their heels in the water anyway if it's something they want to eat. I would like to have a minimum of 10 acres or maybe two 5 acre spots where one spot could rest. We have ducks on occasion at the pond since we are so close to Caddo Lake. If we could produce food and water they ought to come.

Tracy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images