Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Morty Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks so much, truly appreciate info regarding what you experienced this year. You all have put my mind at ease a bit, really hope we get some decent rains. It really is stressful seeing so much of the bank exposed, start thinking the worst.

Thanks for your help
M
Morty Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Excellent points and advice Aggie. Tons of wisdom on this forum.

Thank you all so much!

Thanks for your help
H
H
I'm guessing that in future years your trees will be taking more and more water from the pond as the trees get bigger and bigger. Their impact on the water level may not be all that noticeable in a wet year, but in a dry year they will be trying to get the water they need from the nearest available source. Tree roots naturally grow towards their water source; that's why they have a tendency to plug sewer lines.

What about cutting down only some of the trees? That would leave some shade, cut down on the amount of leaves, and cut down on the amount of water they are stealing from the pond, especially if the trees you kept were the ones that were further back from the pond.

As for burning the leaves while they are on the trees, it's likely that the heat from the burning leaves would damage the end buds for next year's growth. You might end up with trees that looked like they were "topped", with new branches coming out everywhere. Even if this didn't happen the heat would cause some damage to the buds and limbs, weakening the tree so that over several years of burning the tree would gradually die.

On the other hand, if you are going to cut them down anyway, it would be a neat experiment!

Last edited by HaBi Farm; 09/29/20 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling/syntax
C
C
I have hoped that someone would come up with an ingenious solution to the need to scoop leaves out quickly and easily before they sink.
Managing floating ropes that have some type of capturing device near the surface works, but is mostly a 2 person operation and if you get too long of a rope you would need a tractor to pull the loaded rope with wet heavy leaves in.
A mesh cover over the whole pond would not be good for me as I like the surface open for aeration, for my turtles, and for my minnows to feed off the surface.

To me it would be easiest if I had a powered solution. An old jet ski that floats well enough that the operator doesn't get wet but can push a skimmer basket on the front to push the leaves up on the shore. A way to tip/dump the basket once beached on the shore would be idea. Just 'mow lanes' across the surface whenever leaves are starting to float. If the skimmer rides about 6" under the surface you would get them all.

A manual process could be done with 2 people. You could make a similar wide and shallow basket that rides bout 6" under the water but also has a portion above the water with floats to help suspend the leaves as they are netted. It could be pulled back and forth across the pond. One person could attach it to the middle of a very long rope, pull it across the pond, empty it out, turn it around, leave it ready for the return trip, then walk around the pond, grab the long other end of the rope and pull it back across, etc.

I'm thinking a PVC rectangle frame, 3/4" pvc, maybe 8'-10' long, 24-30" wide. Make 2 identical frames and mount them one on top of the other with maybe 10" vertical PVC posts in the 4 corners. You could use any mesh that is strong enough to handle sticks and leaves dragging in it, maybe reuse an old seine net section. Cover the bottom, the two short sides and the back side, keeping the top open and the front entrance open between the frames. Let the bottom frame sink in the water as the floor of the 'skimmer' and wrap the top frame with pool noodles to keep it floating.

Probably best to scale it down and do a smaller test model first?

The same setup, but this time weighted by drilling holes in the pvc frame and filling the tubes with pea gravel might work well to drag muck off the bottom if pulled across with a garden tractor. You probably could use the same setup for both, you just would have to add pea gravel and take off floats during spring and summer season and empty gravel and add floats during fall season.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Google parachute skimmer.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
I am looking to cleanup my 40 year old 3acre lake, it has a bunch of muck in it, the bio-3 says it takes 125lbs per surface acres for a treatment! i'd go broke doing that, the muckaway TL is $699 and says it treats 3 acres, and advertises it is "delayed release" pellets. Have you used both? or would reccomend anything else?

thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Talk to both companies and see how many inches of muck per year they estimate that it will remove. If your pond is more than 8 feet deep, you will need aeration for it to have a chance of working.

There is no silver bullet for removing muck shy of draining and mechanically removing it. That's the only way I know of guaranteeing that it will work. (the muck removal)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images