Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,064
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,408
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
21 members (e_stallman, FishinRod, esshup, Justin W, Augie, bstone261, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 696 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#525364 08/31/20 01:22 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I have a 4.75 acre spring fed pond that is about 17-18 feet at it's deepest, but averages probably 13 feet deep and it's often as clear as tap water. I put in 25 full size albino catfish a year ago in the spring (at $10 a piece - ouch) and when I would hand feed from the dock with floating food they would come up. Not all of them, but it was typical to have 20 of them come up and eat. We had a mild winter in Indiana, but I've not seen a single albino catfish since last summer. I still feed from the dock and some of the smaller channels that I stocked are coming up, but no albinos.

Could something have eaten all of them over the winter? I've never seen any dead floating albinos and generally, never see any floating fish as the pond is very healthy. We do get some big snapping turtles in our pond sometimes from the creek next to us. Could they have cleared them out? I have walleye too, but I don't think they would go after a full size albino.

This was a pay-lake 30 or more years ago so there's some interesting fish in it, just nothing that I think could eat a full size albino catfish. Thanks.

Our albino catfish pond has had a few visits from bald eagles from time to time. Seeming like taking 1 fish a day per bird. They don`t stay much longer than a week a year or I`d be more upset.

Forced to work born to Fish
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Snakebite
Our albino catfish pond has had a few visits from bald eagles from time to time. Seeming like taking 1 fish a day per bird. They don`t stay much longer than a week a year or I`d be more upset.

Yes we occasionally have bald eagles stalk our pond but I haven't seen any this year, and if the albinos were in shallow enough water for the eagles to get them, then I would see them. Our pond is very clear so unless they are staying in the deep center of the pond, they aren't there anymore.

J
J
Otters wiped out all my albino CC the second winter I had them. They were two to seven pounds. They also got all but a couple of the regular CC. I think I have had a few more visits since. I re stocked three times. There's fewer coming to feed every month. Between otters and the GB Herons, I quit. They are just ornamental ponds now, as far as I am concerned. Gonna quit feeding altogether when my current feed supply is gone. Probably by end of September. It's been a five year experiment that failed.

Last edited by John Fitzgerald; 08/31/20 06:21 PM.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
John, it’s tough to whip predators when you don’t live there. Cormorants have hammered me 2 years in a row. In a couple of weeks I’ll be stringing wire over mine to deter the birds. Then remove it in the Spring after their migration. I expect to do it twice a year.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
Yes, it's difficult if the ponds are not right in the backyard. I suspect if I had spent as much as the ponds cost to build to securely fence them, I could have avoided the otters.

My house is about 700 feet across the hayfield from the ponds. They are slightly above the house, so the pond surfaces are not visible from the house.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
John, it’s tough to whip predators when you don’t live there. Cormorants have hammered me 2 years in a row. In a couple of weeks I’ll be stringing wire over mine to deter the birds. Then remove it in the Spring after their migration. I expect to do it twice a year.
Dave the cormorants were not nearly as bad for me last year, but they were still destructive. I guess it varies year to year. I too have considered stringing fishing line across like the guy in Italy. He said it is very effective, but could be a challenge in a 3.5 acre pond stringing that much line. I think we trapped 1 beaver and 3-4 otters last year. Have not caught an otter in traps in months, but expect them to return. I despise both cormorants and otters, but think the otters may be worse because they are primarily active at night and eat a lot of fish before you even realize they are present....the cormorants at least you know immediately they are there to eat your fish. It's odd the cormorants are much, much more plentiful and are protected, river otters are less plentiful but you can kill them.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I saw a flock of cormorants in Fort Worth the other day. In about 10 days I'll be stringing wire over mine. That's the earliest Grandson and his buddy can make it. I was going to use electric fence wire with TPosts but Chris Steelman said the uses the electric tape. That has to be a lot easier to work with and is cheaper. I'm going to order it today. Getting hit and restocking 2 years in a row is enough for me.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 09/02/20 05:21 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Being white, the albino CC are easy picking for predators, they are a lot easier to see than the regular colored ones. I have an Osprey visit my pond from time to time, so any fish that comes to the surface could be easy pickings for them.

Where did you source the albino CC from?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
We did catch an albino yesterday....and our pond has had significant river otter and water-turkey diving bird issues the last couple of years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
And another nice albino on a minnow this morning....I guess the otters and diving birds didn't get 'em all.

K
K
Where were you able to source full size albinos at? Or any size albinos?

I searched locally for almost a year and no one had stock or didn't answer emails/voicemail.

Grew frustrated with the search, so I built a large tank in my building and sourced some from auquaponics vendor. Have nine growing now, with 100 more being delivered on Wednesday. Pricey, but very enjoyable experience with the auquaponics vendor owner.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by KW35

KW35 my primary source was a local kid 25 miles from my property that has a pay to fish pond and he went to Ark and agreed to get some for me.

Your best bet from Wichita may be to check with Nemo Hatchery in Perry, MO who show albino cats on their web page.

http://www.stockalake.com/species--information.html

J
J
I don't have much faith that albino CC are "keepable" unless you have a good, otter proof fence around the pond and a bird proof net over the pond.

I have had good success over the past 10 years raising albinos in my ponds. We do get predators from time to time visiting, but the water is kept with a good stain to limit predator visibility.

Attached Images
17.jpg

Forced to work born to Fish
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Biggest albino cats I've ever seen.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by John Fitzgerald
I don't have much faith that albino CC are "keepable" unless you have a good, otter proof fence around the pond and a bird proof net over the pond.

John maybe it's an anomaly, but I have had both signifficant otter and water-turkey (diving under water birds) invasions in my pond over the last 3 years and am still catching albinos at a pretty good rate.

Originally Posted by Zep
Originally Posted by KW35

KW35 my primary source was a local kid 25 miles from my property that has a pay to fish pond and he went to Ark and agreed to get some for me.

Your best bet from Wichita may be to check with Nemo Hatchery in Perry, MO who show albino cats on their web page.

http://www.stockalake.com/species--information.html

I was interested in these at one time, but backed off. I thought I heard they would not reproduce, but then read that they do. I’ve had bad luck with species that supposedly are not reproductive and then exploding..
FYI, my place is a few miles from NEMO hatchery. I’d be happy to stop by and ask them about their albino catfish. Transport, size, price, etc.. Just let me know.
Jeff

Last edited by SetterGuy; 09/16/20 11:58 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
K
K
SetterGuy - sent you a message

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
My pond is now supposedly bird proof. I used electric fence tape. Done by grown Grandson and his buddy.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:28 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump