Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Snipe, RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon), 750 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#523838 07/22/20 09:09 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Recently added some Water Lilies, not doing as well as expected. Not sure what to make of this.

Planted the tubers in large pots 3 feet deep, they had a few leaves, a couple inches long at the time. A week later, leaves to the surface and more on the way, up to seven leaves each plant!
The leaves are red in color when growing and at the surface, but they didn't last a couple weeks before turning brown and disintegrating away.
Now leaves keep coming but, they seem to die shortly after reaching the surface.

The Lilies were removed from a small Lillie overcrowded backyard pond nearby. I looked at the pond they came from, clean healthy water, beautiful red flowers. The owner did not want to throw them away, so held them in a plastic container, and put them in the classifieds for free, not sure how long they were in the container.

Any input is appreciated.

I'm new to lilies this year, but I would try to place one of them in shallower water and see if it reacts positively to it. Some of my smaller specimens do not like to be in water much deeper than a foot. They would throw a leaf or two to the surface and then they would get slimy looking and rot off the stem. I moved them up from 18 to about 8 and they are doing better. My plants are hanging from baskets off the dock so I don't have to worry about hot shallow water (and crawdad destruction).

Fish on!,
Noel
J
OP Offline
J
Shallower it is.
Not expected the pond to not be at full pool the whole summer like it is, it's more than a foot high, crazy year.
I'll move one this weekend.
Thanks!

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
I started lilies this year too. I planted tubers in dish tubs about 4 inches deep in soil with sand and small rocks on top to keep tubers in place. I started them in water 4 inches above tub top. As they grew I pushed deeper into water they are now at 24 inches of water. I will leave them at that depth or a little deeper for the winter freeze then plan to pull shallow next spring and hopefully start cycle over again. I also placed fertilizer in pot while planting.

Attached Images
IMG_2879 (2).jpg
I
I
I can't keep water lilies for the life of me. Two years now I've had them start great only to be decimated by what I assume are the White Amur. I even potted them in chicken wire caged bins. No-go. Sucks..

J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
Turtles would wipe out my lilies so I gave up on them. They would root around the pond bottom and chew up the tubers. I had a little better success keeping the tubers in plastic containers but then the turtles just munched away at the stems.

I know those turtles "need to make a living" as Bob says, but Don says, "I like Turtle soup."

NE Ohio, 2 ponds @ 1.3 @ 16' & .5 ac.@ 6'. Aeration x 6 bottom diffusors, 2 HVLP fountains, Honey Hole habitat x 35 pcs, FHM, SMB, WE, RBT, YP, BG, HBG, CC (in newer WE/SMB pond only) 2nd 1/2 ac pond LMB, CC, RSF, SMB, BCP, CBG, HBG, FHM.
N
N
Another Buckeye reply here... NE Ohio. The GC aren't fond of water lilies in my experience, however, the water lilies seem to be one of the first emergent plants in our pond in the spring. As a result, when we had GC, they would munch off the new leaves and stems. I only became aware of how much damage can occur to the water lilies with snapping turtles this past summer (2020). Our pond is small, about 1/4 surface acre. I speculate that when a mature snapper or two visit a smaller pond that may not have much in the way of injured, dead, or sick fish that the turtles then turn to eating more vegetation. At the peak of the water lily growth last summer, we had them growing from 6" depth to around 5' depth and encompassing 75% of the circumference of the pond. I don't know the variety, but they are probably a common, native plant that I transplanted once about 25 years ago. They were obtained from a local pond owner generous enough to let me dig and take some tubers home. The blooms are white in color.

As far as destruction goes, I would say the GC do a lot of water lily damage when pond weed or other preferable aquatic plants aren't available. We haven't had GC in the pond since the Polar Vortex of 2014. Just prior to that time the APW and lilies were nearly eliminated in the pond by the GC. We had only one GC in the pond before the vortex, but it was approaching 36" in length. Both plant types recovered over the next few years until we had muskrats in 2019. I removed the muskrats during 2019 summer and 2020 spring. I anticipated a bountiful 2020 summer for APW and lilies. The APW was slower to recover than the lilies in 2020. Then came a snapper visitation that probably cut 40% of the lily leaves during July and August. Our turtle traps have not been as productive as I had hoped, so when the turtles left the pond on their own I was pleased. They will probably come back, so more effort to remove turtles will be needed in 2021.

If you have both snappers and GC, in my opinion you have two critters that will continue to damage plants. BTW, when I planted the water lilies years ago, I planted them in 1' of water depth or less. In my experience it's better to go shallower with planting depth than deeper. The lilies' tubers will naturally creep into the deeper water over time on their own. We've had them in water up to 6' deep after several years. I can't offer an opinion on any issues you might be having with water chemistry, soil type, or a particular variety of water lily. Hope you can find some answers. We do enjoy the lilies blossoms during the summer months and the fish welcome the shade and cover.

I
I
Originally Posted by neopond
Another Buckeye reply here... NE Ohio. The GC aren't fond of water lilies in my experience, however, the water lilies seem to be one of the first emergent plants in our pond in the spring. As a result, when we had GC, they would munch off the new leaves and stems. I only became aware of how much damage can occur to the water lilies with snapping turtles this past summer (2020). Our pond is small, about 1/4 surface acre. I speculate that when a mature snapper or two visit a smaller pond that may not have much in the way of injured, dead, or sick fish that the turtles then turn to eating more vegetation. At the peak of the water lily growth last summer, we had them growing from 6" depth to around 5' depth and encompassing 75% of the circumference of the pond. I don't know the variety, but they are probably a common, native plant that I transplanted once about 25 years ago. They were obtained from a local pond owner generous enough to let me dig and take some tubers home. The blooms are white in color.

As far as destruction goes, I would say the GC do a lot of water lily damage when pond weed or other preferable aquatic plants aren't available. We haven't had GC in the pond since the Polar Vortex of 2014. Just prior to that time the APW and lilies were nearly eliminated in the pond by the GC. We had only one GC in the pond before the vortex, but it was approaching 36" in length. Both plant types recovered over the next few years until we had muskrats in 2019. I removed the muskrats during 2019 summer and 2020 spring. I anticipated a bountiful 2020 summer for APW and lilies. The APW was slower to recover than the lilies in 2020. Then came a snapper visitation that probably cut 40% of the lily leaves during July and August. Our turtle traps have not been as productive as I had hoped, so when the turtles left the pond on their own I was pleased. They will probably come back, so more effort to remove turtles will be needed in 2021.

If you have both snappers and GC, in my opinion you have two critters that will continue to damage plants. BTW, when I planted the water lilies years ago, I planted them in 1' of water depth or less. In my experience it's better to go shallower with planting depth than deeper. The lilies' tubers will naturally creep into the deeper water over time on their own. We've had them in water up to 6' deep after several years. I can't offer an opinion on any issues you might be having with water chemistry, soil type, or a particular variety of water lily. Hope you can find some answers. We do enjoy the lilies blossoms during the summer months and the fish welcome the shade and cover.

Where are you at? I'm also NE Ohio in Medina. I do not have any other aquatic vegetation which is part of my problem. Trying to figure out what to get started that won't be invasive and also not get decimated by the GC.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails