Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#523621 07/15/20 01:01 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hey guys, I recently moved to a 55 acre lake in Northern WI. The lake according to the last DNR electrofishing report it is about 75% LMB. Based on what we catch and see I would agree on these numbers. There are some decent sized BG and a few small YP, just not in great numbers.
Any suggestions on how to get this more balanced? Just keep pulling all of the LMB that I can?

55 acres is too big to make any sort of dent in the fish population by angling, imo. Sure, you can keep removing the small bass, but if this is a public lake, you would need to adhere to the local bag limits, probably 5 per day like most states.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
J
J
And size restrictions if public.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It would be tough to fish it into balance with a shortage like that. Was it ever correctly stocked?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
N
OP Offline
N

I'll defer to our experts, but after reading the DNR report, it seems that productivity may be low. As it is not your personal lake, you probably can't dump money into it.

Do you own waterfront property? If so, check in to feeding the prey species, specifically bluegill, along your shoreline. In time, you'd attract plenty of fish. The sunfish and perch would show up for chow; some bass would follow. I don't know if this would be considered "chumming" in Wisconsin. Chumming is illegal out here in the wild west.

It amazed me that the fish were so small. That may reflect the sampling technique and timing.
Our experts can advise.

Interesting that the lake was stocked with Pike at one point but none showed up in the survey. Below-average Bass and slightly-above-average Bluegill, hmmm.... I'm brainstorming here, trying to figure out why the bass are abundant, but small. Do you know if there are any bait fish? None showed up in the survey. You're too far north for shad, but you'd think some shiners or alewife would've shown up. If the bass are solely relying on eating young bluegills, perch and crappie, could that affect their growth? And the lack of another predator (pike, pickerel, musky) to control the YoY bass might be a factor. Just some thoughts from a non-expert :P

T
T
To thin the lmb why not stock Musky. It's my understanding that they will put a dent in the lmb numbers if enough were stocked? You would have to stock a size larger than the lmb could eat but it seems to me by stocking Musky your surviving lmb would grow larger and your Musky would grow to larger size for fishing. Win/Win Maybe stock one per acre.

Last edited by TGW1; 07/17/20 06:06 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
I don't know if this would be considered "chumming" in Wisconsin. Chumming is illegal out here in the wild west.
I thought the Wild West started at the Mississippi. Specifically Minneapolis. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
N
OP Offline
N
Yes, it is waterfront property and I have began to feed. I do not understand the survey. I'm sure it depends where on the lake it was taken, how far out and how long they spend. I have caught quite a few bluegills bigger than what was mentioned in the survey. Overall the fish numbers seem low. It looks like they also did one in 94 and it shows a walleye and a northern were caught.
There seems to be plenty of habitat especially after last year when a windstorm basically took out all of the trees placing many in the water.
I have been talking to the DNR to remove or reduce the 14" minimum on bass, they have done so on multiple other lakes in the area.

Originally Posted by Nick LaFave
Yes, it is waterfront property and I have began to feed. I do not understand the survey. I'm sure it depends where on the lake it was taken, how far out and how long they spend. I have caught quite a few bluegills bigger than what was mentioned in the survey. Overall the fish numbers seem low. It looks like they also did one in 94 and it shows a walleye and a northern were caught.
There seems to be plenty of habitat especially after last year when a windstorm basically took out all of the trees placing many in the water.
I have been talking to the DNR to remove or reduce the 14" minimum on bass, they have done so on multiple other lakes in the area.
Hmm, I think that could be a problem, too. Too much habitat can actually be a bad thing, because it allows more fingerlings to survive by escaping predation. In your case, there aren't any predators that will eat a baby bass more than a couple inches. The Bluegill and Crappie can eat the small ones, but once they reach maybe 2 inches, the LMB are fairly safe. I think Tracy's idea makes sense, add some Musky or maybe even some Pike again, and should improve both the bass fishing and give a new, large predator that should thrive on the abundant, small LMB.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images