Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We have made the deal with a fish supplier to supply us with some rainbow trout to add to our yellow perch pond.

Brown trout and walleye were sadly out of the question to add. For some reason is it impossible to get them supplied in Ontario Canada. The MNR has the walleye market cornered and have rights to all the walleye.

With a very well established yellow perch population since 2012 we are seeing some perch in the 14"s range but most in the 13" range.

We have stocked emerald shiners, they are boom or bust. They have been repopulating but not overly. Fathead minnows and they are doing very well. Common shiners and also are doing very well. Crayfish with 12 feet of good rip rap around the entire pond they are doing very well too.

One fish I was not expecting and must have been mixed in with the common shiner stocking or I am miss ID'ing the common shiners that are really creek chub. The creek chub are repopulating in the pond and doing very well. They have also have taken very well to the pellets and have trained them self's to feed on the pellets. The perch and the creek chub are on the pellets very well. 100#s per year at least.

So the next step was to read read read on here about what to do with the creek chub. The choice was made to add Rainbow trout next week. Mostly because of the availability and the hope they will target the creek chub ahead of the yellow perch. Smooth soft tube like fish compared to tube like with lots of pokeys.

I am not sure if this was too aggressive for stocking numbers, but let me be clear, delivery is to be 1.5 hours away and they guaranty the trout survival. It was required we spend $1000 Canadian. So we asked for 18" or larger rainbow trout. This size will be able to target the creek chub from my understanding and from reading so much on this web site. I did reach out to Cecil Baird and he also recommended the 18" size or larger.

Here is my worry. The pond is aerated with a very large food base that we also pellet feed 100#s a year. The pond is about 1 acre at full pool and we keep it there with pumps to top up. The supplier has the 18" plus size and will deliver but to hit my $1000 mark will be delivering 75 rainbow trout. I plan on feeding an extra 25 to 50#s more feed with the added trout. The hopes is the trout will target the creek chub spring, fall, and winter when we are not feeding. The pond is deep, and I am not worried about the trout not surviving because it is too warm.

We do have some wild life, Martin and mink and do expect to loose some trout to them. I am wondering if 75 in the 18"+ range is too much pressure on the perch?

Does anyone have experience in fishing these two different fish in the same pond? Will too many trout not alow us to catch the perch?

Any thoughts, and, or advice after reading this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time. Cheers.

Attached Images
ShinerChub.jpg Resized_20200502_190356.jpg Resized_20200503_172320.jpg

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here are a few pictures of the trout added and the yellow perch we have in our pool.

The trout seem to like to work over the bottom of the pond. We had 20"s of visibility and after two days 8"s. Most of the visibility seems to be clay from the bottom.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
trout.jpg 14perch.jpg

C
C
Wow, this is a great plan and a neat experiment. You probably can't find too many others with your pond chemistry, size, depth, aeration, water flow and mix of forage options vs predators. You will have to see how this goes. I bet the trout will be resourceful and make their own choices. They may choose to chase down the shiners and younger YP? Or they may like the lack of 'pokeys' on the chubs! Not sure how you will know unless you catch and remeasure lengths or find some way to sample belly content on a mortality trout or one that may have been leftovers from a four legged predator?

We have sources of Walleye here in MI and folks from around here used to go across the border regularly but it sounds like the border will be sealed for a bit yet and I don't know the legality of a transport plan.

1 member likes this: DonoBBD
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I was under the impression that creek chubsuckers would not spawn in a pond. Could these be lake chubsuckers?

W
W
Very cool Dono! I am looking forward to hearing about how it goes!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
C
I'm aware of only one type of lake chubsucker and it does not look anything like the ones in dono's picture

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
YP are know to overpopulate if predation is absent. You can harvest the RT and YP as needed to adjust the population. I would try the plan as it seems sound to me.

D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Some more pictures of the creek chub. We have them from 2"s to 13"s in the pond.

They don't really have a sucker type mouth. It is just a very large wide lip smooth mouth.

Attached Images
chub.jpg chub2.jpg chub3.jpg chub4.jpg
Last edited by DonoBBD; 06/11/20 07:20 PM.

D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by ewest
YP are know to overpopulate if predation is absent. You can harvest the RT and YP as needed to adjust the population. I would try the plan as it seems sound to me.

We have been laying branches into the pond in the spring the last week of March and pull out every ribbon we can. This and these creek chub eating the baby perch has kept the perch recruitment moderate. We are getting some.

Cheers Don.

Just a technicality, but could those chubs be fallfish? Same genus as creek chub.

D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
Just a technicality, but could those chubs be fallfish? Same genus as creek chub.

Maybe but, I haven't seen anything bigger than 12-13" and I feel they are getting this big because they have pellet trained them self's.

One more interesting note about the pond and the possible spawning of these Creek chub. The pond is really two large bowls that are connected with a shallow 5-8 foot.... I would call it a saddle. In the center of both bowls is the air stations. Just one single disk in each.

Now here is my thoughts. This saddle was covered with pea stone and chips. My thoughts are that the creek chub have been making their nests on this saddle and the aeration has been making enough current to trigger the spawning of the creek chub on this saddle.

I have always run the air in the spring during the day to warm the pond and off at night until the pond water temp reaches 55F. Then I will turn the air on at night from 7pm to 7am to keep the pond cool. It works well and the fish have a cold refuge in the deep ends of the bowls during the day. The minnows get the free run of the shore lines with the top 30"s warming up from the day time sun and air temps.

I will dig into my old computer to try to find some pictures of this pond construction.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
Pond.jpg pond2.jpg
Last edited by DonoBBD; 06/13/20 07:32 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Donno, I put trout in my pond yearly and have YP in there too. I can target the YP vs the trout by using different lures and fishing different areas. I catch trout on spoons and spinners, I've caught large YP on a 4" jerk bait with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook....... Also caught trout AND YP on Stubby Steves.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images