Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
U
OP Offline
U
Theres a small, shallow area on my 2 acre pond. It receives the most sunlight throughout the day. It's the last freeze and first to open up. There's always algae growing there and from there the algae spreads. I was wondering if I could build a small DIY solar aerator and place it in that area to help remedy the algae?

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

The only time I would consider aerating just a potion of a pond would be for surface aeration like a fountain can supply. I'm not expert, but I would be concerned about moving dead water up from the bottom and lessening the quality of the upper column, especially in that area. This concept of surface aeration is not really what you are after since it may not get good DO down to your muck on the bottom that is growing algae.

I'm not convinvce that aeration is a cure for algae anyway, but more of a tool to help control it. Water depth, water clarity, and bottom muck nutrient levels are the main contributors to FA.

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 04/14/20 01:00 PM. Reason: typos

Fish on!,
Noel
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Do not expect aeration of any kind to cure algae problems especially filamentous algae. In a 1/2 acre pond put in one aerator get it in good shape, then add 2-3 cups of fertilizer. Not even 10 aerators will stop algae growth from that fertilizer addition. Aeration does not precipitate or bind the nutrients that cause algae growth. Aeration for controlling algae is a fallacy, unscientific and incorrect. Aerators have very good benefits but reliably controlling algae is not one of the benefits. If you look around at various ponds you can easily find properly aerated ponds covered with algae. Come see me and I will show you lots of aerated ponds covered with all types of problematic algae.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/14/20 12:18 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
U
OP Offline
U
Now that's all interesting to me. It seems every article I read about curing filamentous algae it will mention that aeration is the cure all for getting rid of filamentous algae.

Bill - you fly me out to Ohio, wine and dine me while I'm there and I'll let you show me as many ponds as you want!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Are the articles that you are reading about curing filamentous algae pier reviewed published articles or just promotional material from an aeration company? Sales staff for aeration selling companies very often exaggerate aeration benefits to make profitable sales.

I would like to review a few of those articles you mention about use of aeration to control filamentous algae. Can you provide links to a couple of those articles for review?? I am always interested in seeing technical test results about benefits of aeration.

It is my experience that scientifically naive people will use or install aeration into a pond with algae. In some instances the algae decreases or is noticeably reduced. Immediately these untrained people assume the aeration fixed the problem when there are many natural biological, chemical, and weather related reasons why the algae suddenly seemed to disappear. Sales staff for aeration selling companies very often exaggerate aeration benefits to make profitable sales.

There are thousands of different species of algae and some grow in just about every environmental habitat of the world including the snow fields of the Arctic, to the hot springs of Colorado - Wyoming to symbiotic growths as tree lichens to growth on the north side of houses or on roofs. So just about anything you do to your pond nature has some type of algae that will thrive there - just give it time to become established.

I repeat " Aerators have very good benefits for improving pond water quality but reliably controlling algae is not one of the benefits."

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/14/20 04:52 PM.

U
OP Offline
U
Bill, I believe you. I was wondering if they were sales pitches. Most the articles are from pond/lake management companies or other parties that sell and install aerators.

So let me ask you this - would installing a small aerator in a certain spot do any benefit to my pond?

I don't mind some algae but when it really blooms it's ugly and pain in the butt!

What can I do to get rid of it greatly reduced the amount if algae? Keep in mind I have trout in the pond and I really don't want to use a chemical. And actually, due to our proximity to a public water supply by law I'm not supposed to use herbicides, pesticides or algaecides.

I like what you've had to say so I really want to pick your brain.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Since you are legally not supposed to use any herbicides and tilapia are out of the question in your state then about the only feasible alternative that I think you have is manual removal and this for a 2 ac or even 0.5 ac is an unreasonable amount of work. I do not see how aeration would prevent enough reduction of nutrients that it would make a noticeable difference in reducing filamentous algae(FA). I will assume that it is one of the nutrient loving filamentous species that is getting its nutrients from the leaching from the sediments; probably either Cladophora, Oedogonium or Mougeotia however it could be one of the other cool water loving genera such as Spirogyra. One would only know which one by looking at it with a microscope.

FA almost always starts growth on the bottom where it begins growth by attaching with specialized holdfast cells. The filament elongates until it forms long strands that eventually break loose and the strand mass floats around on the surface until usually a strong rain or strong wind breaks it up and sends the floating stuff to the bottom where it begins decomposition. A strong powerful spray or wake from a motor boat can also break up floating FA.

One other option that I see that you have is to use a very environmentally harmless chemical, even to trout, is chemically called sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate which is granular hydrogen peroxide basically strong H2O2 that is dried down on washing soda (a type of baking soda). H2O2 releases oxygen and degrades into water H2O. This will not harm trout and most all aquatic animals. Common trade names for this chemical are Phycomycin and Green Clean Pro (having the Pro part is important). To use this chemical best it has to be used broadcast onto the growth when the algae is first starting to grow as 1"-3" tall fussy stuff. Taller than 3" it takes an unreasonable amount of peroxyhydrate to get the algae knocked back. So to use it effectively one has to be very proactive in its use and disperse it when the algae is in early growth stages. It does not work as well as copper based algaecides but it is environmentally much safer.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/14/20 09:01 PM.

J
J
Uncle Sean,

Small channel cats eat lots of FA. Don't know your species complex and what minimum size you would need to stock or how they may affect your other fish. But where they are present in sufficient numbers FA isn't a problem.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

U
OP Offline
U
Thanks for that great information Bill, I appreciate it. And yes, manually removing it is painstaking! I have a floating rake that I use when the wind pushes the stuff up against the shoreline. It's a labor of love but still a lot of work!

Funny you should mention the wake from motor boat... We actually put a small outboard on our rowboat and run it around the pond to break it up...

I'll have to look into the green clean pro.

What's your take on adding beneficial bacteria? I've been using it the past few years in the hopes of breaking down the muck and excessive nutrients that algae needs to grow. I use a cold water blend once the ice goes out and until the water warms then I use the regular stuff. The algae isn't nearly as bad as it used to be so I assumed it's working. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Thanks again!

jpsdad - channel cats are not available in New Hampshire so that's not an option. If they were I would try it.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Secondary affects of microbial additions could help minimize FA. I do not put a lot of faith in bacteria reducing filamentous algae, however is some situations they could help. The specific brand or blended mix of bacteria strains will have an influence on the results; some are better than others.

Keep regularly or weekly using the outboard motor to agitate the shorelines, it will definitely help your FA problems plus it has secondary pond benefits as well.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/16/20 09:25 AM.

U
OP Offline
U
What are the secondary benefits?

I use sanco pond booster when the water is cold, it's also mixed with a dye. The rest of the year I use sanco natural pond cleaner.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails