Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,057
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch), 633 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#519028 04/07/20 02:42 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hello all! New to pond ownership. I live in Western NY and own a 1/2 acre pond that is fed from a large hill, my gutters, and many French drains. It is about 8-9ft deep at the deepest, so I was wondering if you think I could support holdover trout that will survive the summers and/or winters. I’d b happy to offer more information! Thanks![img]https://ibb.co/BsJNfJW[/img]

Last edited by FlyFishingTrout; 04/09/20 06:57 PM. Reason: Pic
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcome to Pond Boss!!!

Overwintering trout is dependent on your water temps in the summer, as well as probably water quality issues.

Go ahead and post any details you want, and we'll see what we get back.

If you don't get enough responses in this category, maybe move to one of the more general, high traffic categories.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

K
K
Originally Posted by FlyFishingTrout
Hello all! New to pond ownership. I live in Western NY and own a 1/2 acre pond that is fed from a large hill, my gutters, and many French drains. It is about 8-9ft deep at the deepest, so I was wondering if you think I could support holdover trout that will survive the summers and/or winters. I’d b happy to offer more information! Thanks!

Although I am no expert on trout or trout ponds, I may have some knowledge of your situation. I am located about 30 miles East of you and have a pond that is dedicated to trout. Our pond is slightly less than one acre, located at an elevation of 1900 feet, about 15' deep at its deepest point and fed primarily by rain and snow melt. We have been struggling with trout for about 30 years. Originally our trout did well with no aeration and within a year or two of stocking we were regularly catching fish approaching five pounds. At that time, we were not aware of any summer or winters losses. In the past 10 to 20 years the situation has changed and we have been having trouble with fish kills during the hot summer months. We have been forced to stock annually to assure that there are trout in the pond. The fish may last a couple of years but usually a hot summer will wipe them out and you have to start over.
Unless you have a constant source of cool high quality water to keep your pond cool and oxygenated or are able to keep the water temperature below 70 degrees at your deepest point you may be pushing it. If I could do anything to improve my pond, it would be to make it deeper.

Last edited by KenHorton; 04/09/20 10:20 PM. Reason: mistake
KenHorton #519148 04/09/20 06:47 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you so much for the reply! This is great information that I cannot find anywhere! My pond is only 9ft deep at the deepest, and I dye it to keep it dark. I guess what I can do this year is stock with trout, and assess what next summer does to the population. I’d hate to keep restocking but I LOVE trout...

Sunil #519149 04/09/20 06:51 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I have .5 acres and 9ft depth at the deepest. Open field with all the water that I know of coming from runoff. If I could post a pic I would!

F
OP Offline
F

U
U
I've got a two acre pond in Southern NH about 15' deep it's spring and groundwater fed. We've got predominantly rainbows but some browns and brookies too. The key to getting trout to survive is a constant source of cool, oxygenated water. If you don't have that source then chances are they won't survive the summer. Even if the water is warm but Well oxygenated they can survive as long as you leave them alone in the warm water. But you never know - I've seen trout survive some how in some real mud holes.

F
OP Offline
F
I suppose I will take temps this summer at the top and bottom of the water column, and see what they typically are. I will then stock a few this fall and see how they fair this summer. Any ideas as to any easy methods to maintain temps? I just love the idea of trout MORE than LMB and BG...

U
U
You could have a well dug and constantly have that cold ground water pumped in. That's easier said then done though.

Uncle Sean #519209 04/10/20 06:51 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Oooof. Yeah, that doesn’t sound all that inexpensive either!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A pond with 0.5 ac of water will require a pretty large inflow of well water to keep trout alive during the hot July August temperatures in 9 ft of water. It is much more feasable to do the well water trout in a 0.1 ac pond which can raise big trout as regularly practiced for brook, rainbow, brown and tiger trout by emeritus forum member Cecil Baird. If I was better at posting pictures here I would show you some of Cecil's current huge trout pictures all raised in 0.1 ac.
Brookie 6 lbs; Brown trout
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=180049

Rainbow 9 lbs 9 oz, Brown 12 lbs
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=283273&page=1

Some of Cecil's brook trout
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=426249#Post426249

Suggested above was "..... or are able to keep the water temperature below 70 degrees at your deepest point". It is not just a matter of keeping the water below 70F but this water has to have dissolved oxygen above 5 parts per million (ppm, mg/L) at 70F. IN a fairly deep pond it can be relatively easy without bottom aeration to keep the bottom water below 70F; it is maintaining the 5ppm DO that is the BIG problem. The deep stratified pond water almost always wants to loose significant amounts of DO when the pond creates the upper warm and deep cold layer. The shallower the pond the more this is true.

Try trout this summer and monitor their success. When they stop feeding at the surface in just 9 ft of water they are highly stressed and close to death.

If you stock quality trout at 9"-12" as soon as the water drops to 65F in Sept or early Oct and feed them high quality pellets from the trout supplier you should be able grow them to 18 to 22" and 2.5 to 3.7 maybe 4 lbs the next June. I would aerate the water near shore during ice cover and continue to feed the trout in the open water on nice winter days. This will maintain their body weight and probably put on a little growth on them during months of ice cover.

Keep us advised as to your progress in this thread about raising your trout so others can learn from your experiences.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/11/20 08:49 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Bill Cody #519243 04/11/20 05:51 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks! I took my depth finder out today and found that the majority of the pond will be about 7.5-9ft and the walls are somewhat steep drops. I have a high level of wind whipping across the pond and lots of water coming in from ground water and drainage. Not sure if that helps or not? I appreciate your responses, and I love this group/forum! I’ve never been a member of one before!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
This is a very good, in fact excellent forum for pond management and growing sportfish. Since your NY pond receives "high wind" this will tend to mix warm surface water deeper into your shallow pond thus killing your trout which will usually happen in late June, July, August. In exceptionally cool summers you could get some trout to survive in those years, but this would be the exception not a common occurrence. If you are really a die hard trout lover and trout are relatively low cost compared to other similar sized sport fish, you can feasibly stock trout each year and grow them to very respectable, fun catching and eating sizes as I noted in my post above.

You did not mention what other fish you have in this pond. They could help or hinder the quality of your recreational put and take trout population. What is the average month to month clarity of the water in your pond? Also how are you managing the filamentous string algae (FA) in the pond. BE VERY careful when dealing chemically to manage the FA problems. Trout are extremely sensitive to copper based algaecides.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/11/20 08:32 PM.

U
U
Like mentioned, if you absolutely need to have trout there's nothing wrong with stocking them in the fall - you can fish for them through the fall winter and then spring. If you know for a fact that they won't survive the summer them begin harvesting them in the spring. If you feed them through the fall and then through the spring you'd be surprised how much growth you'll get. If your pond has a good forage base they should grow quite a bit under the ice during the winter. You could also run an aerator in a shallow area during the winter to keep some water open so you can feed them through the winter.

All in all it's your pond and your choice. If you want trout then do trout. If you're really worried about survival I'd try browns. While they can be quite "anti social" and tough to catch they do have the highest tolerance for warm water/low dissolved oxygen levels. Rainbows would be next. I don't think I'd try brookies unless you get other trout to survive then maybe I'd try some. If you can get them around you tiger trout might be a good bet as well. Just my two cents.

Bill Cody #519258 04/12/20 07:27 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks all! I only have small perch, fatheads, salamanders, frogs and insect life in now. I will stock with crayfish, and will control vegetation with Tripoloid grass carp. Clarity is exceptional in the water almost always, and I also use wildlife-safe dye to darken the water and “color” it a but. I am not opposed to having different fish, but I am exceptionally fond of trout, and I feel I will eventually turn to having a bass and BG pond if I can’t get ANY holdover browns or bows... You guys all rock! Thanks!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you are not having good success with trout then before adding BG and LMbass stock smallmouth bass. They will co-exist long term much better with your current forage base especially the perch. SMB with YP are a very enjoyable fishery. Only add BG and LMB as a very last resort because one they are in you will never get them out.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/12/20 07:45 PM.

U
U
I agree. I'd try SMB before LMB. If you think trout are fun on a fly rod then smallmouths will blow your socks off!

W
W
IMO the hybrid trout like Splake and Tiger Trout are more durable than "regular" trout. How do I know?? Fall 2018 I stocked Brookies and Splake. I failed to keep a hole open all winter and DO got very low. The following spring only the Splake were left. Maybe it has something to do with hybrid vigor. If it were me I would try Tigers and/or Splake.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
wbuffetjr #519336 04/13/20 04:30 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I like the idea of stocking tigers but dont think i have access to any frown . Thanks for reminding me about smallies! You think they’ll do okay with my pond depth and parameters? Thanks all! This forum has been a godsend!

U
U
Smallies are pretty tolerant. Ideally they'll need a lot of gravel and rocks for successful spawning as well as habitat for their favorite forage - crayfish. You could stock small rainbow trout to supplement their diet too... Man if you did that you'd have some huge smallies!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I've had smallies (SMB) reproduce in an 7 ft deep hard clay bottom pond. So gravel and rocks are not a necessity but good habitat helps a lot for creating a thriving SMB fishery. Habitat also helps a lot to allow adequate forage food to thrive in the pond. SMB will survive year after year a lot better in your pond compared to trout. Use yellow perch and or pumpkinseed sunfish with maybe golden shiners & crayfish as main larger forage food items for SMB.

Bill Cody #519355 04/14/20 09:09 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I like these ideas. I have mostly stone and sand/clay bottom in my pond and can always add gravel too. Perch are the primary fish in the pond (only actually that I know of) currently, and I will supplement them with fatheads occasionally as well.

U
U
Just to get back on the trout topic...

You can still stock trout even if they don't survive the summer. I think it was already mentioned that by stocking larger 12+" trout in the fall and feeding them until ice up and then again on the spring you'll end up with some nice trout to harvest. I use Aquamax 600 for my trout and have great growth rates.

Even if you go the smallmouth route you can still add some large trout for some added fun.

Last edited by Uncle Sean; 04/14/20 09:43 AM.
Uncle Sean #519372 04/14/20 03:55 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Yea! Thanks!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
FlyFishingTr - Please periodically return to keep us updated as to the progress of your pond project. A few pictures now and then would be good to see the results of your efforts. Don't be a stranger.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/14/20 04:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB