Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,056
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Donatello, Freg, tws3, rjackson, jpsdad, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 643 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
My new 0.4A pond has about a grand total of 6" water in it right now, with a full pool max depth of 12' and an average depth of probably 7'. I clearly have a ways to go for it to fill, and am taking this opportunity to add structure before planned initial fish stocking next spring.

I've added some natural fall-downs and some man-made structure with natural logs, and am planning to add pallets. Along half of my eastern bank adjacent to a dock I have a pea gravel beach, which will help for launching kayaks and provide some habitat for BG spawning.

I don't desire to have riprap all around my pond, or even along a majority of my eastern bank (winds are prevailing from SW, but wind action on pond will be limited by trees), but I do see great benefit in having at least some rock piles.

It will cost me about $350 to have a triaxle of riprap delivered.

As an easier to source and move option, would using cinderblocks (since I have to buy some to weigh down my other structure anyway) and making irregular pyramids with them provide a similar structure benefit to rock piles?

It's my bet that cinder blocks (the kind with the big holes through them) would be an excellent choice, even superior to rocks. They maximize surface area for small biological growth and maximize cavities for the fish to hang out in.

There might be some pH concerns to consider depending on the water chemistry, but that would also be the case with natural rock depending on the kind. Minimal concern I would think, but worth researching.

Natural rock would be better for crawdads, however...imo.

I have to say...it depends, regarding the cinder blocks to some degree. If you want recruitment of your stocked fish, the added hidey holes will be good.

Fish on!,
Noel
A
A
Cinder block piles are fantastic fish magnets. You don't want to put them where someone might accidentally run into them while swimming. Big ouchies.

Rip-rapped banks are also fantastic fish magnets.

Maybe think about doing some 3'-4' high cinder block piles in 6'-8' deep water, and a few rip-rap piles along the bank.

You'll want a loader machine to place the rip-rap. Cinder blocks you can just drive in with the truck and toss em off the back. It will be a lot easier to get it done before the pond fills.

M
M
I have found if you approach a brick/block supplier they typically have odd lots, overruns, returns, etc sitting in some back corner. If you pay for delivery, they will sell at no or low cost. It costs them more to dispose of them than to give them away. You might not get all the same block but what difference does it make after their underwater.

I Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

To Fish or Not to Fish?
What a stupid question!
S
S
Yes the cinder blocks work well and it is best to do before the pond fills so you can arrange them in piles. If you have acidic soils the calcium in them should be beneficial.

Last edited by snrub; 08/23/19 07:42 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
T
T
I built a fish crib out of 5 pallets by tying the pallets together and then tossed in a dozen or more blocks into this open toped box. I then added a cedar tree to the outside of this fish crib. I did this in about 8 of water after the pond was full. I would have been easier if I had done it before the pond took on water. But is was not all that hard to do at full pool by adding the box and blocks onto my floating pier and then moved the pier with a trolling motor out into the area where I wanted the structure. it has made a nice fish attractor and I have caught a few fish off it. Floating piers have their benefits.

Last edited by TGW1; 08/24/19 06:43 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy