Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,765
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 635 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I was walking around the pond after work, trying to decide if I needed to add a little more dye, and came across this plant floating beside the dock. I've never seen anything like it. Would really like to know what it is. Is it considered invasive? Is it a good/bad plant?

I have to assume turtles pulled it up...or it spreads thru fragmentation.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/mhNicSQdtGjXBcXA8[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/irdGe49VQBEt4am39[/img]

As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014

Fishing has never been about the fish....

C
C
Mike your photos are not embedding in the post (at least from what I can see on my end) Can someone spot what might be wrong? It appears he is setting up things correctly but maybe the link form his shared photo album isn't the correct format?

I'll defer to others on how to identify pond weeds!

OP Offline
I dont think its coontail. The "leaves", if you can call them that, are very fine, almost look like FA, but they're growing off of stems. No ringing of foliage at all like coontail or milfoil. The entire stem is covered by this fine hair-like growth. Almost feathery. Approx. 20 tiny stems emerging from a cluster of roots. Oh....there's no smell to them either.

CC...the pics open fine for me!!

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 05/01/19 05:13 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
P
P
Send a PM to Mr Bill Cody or Mr Kelly Duffie they if anyone probably would know

Lunker
Lunker
It's definitely not coontail or Eurasian milfoil.

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/category-submerge-plants/

Lunker
Lunker
I'm going to guess that it is some sort of green hair algea growing on the stems of another type of plant.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20190501-180718_Photos.jpg
Last edited by Shorty; 05/01/19 06:09 PM.

OP Offline
Hey Shorty. Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I first picked it up. I even tried to pull it off, but it's actually growing "out" of the stems. Not "on" it like algae would. And for as fine as it is, it's pretty strong. If you look closely at those stems that seem bare, you can see new growth starting.

Its definitely a strange and interesting looking plant. Would be really pretty in an aquarium.

Thanks for the suggestion Pat. I'll definitely sent Mr. Cody a PM and ask him to take a look at it.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 05/01/19 06:36 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
There are lots of types of algea, I still think it is some sort of hair algea that is anchored into the stems on another type of plant.

I have some sort of bryozoan colony (I think) that anchors itself onto almost everything submerged shallow that isn't dirt or rock around July every year. Smartweed, dog bane, grass, sticks, bark, fish cages, even my pond thermometer gets covered by it.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Shorty
There are lots of types of algea, I still think it is some sort of hair algea that is anchored into the stems on another type of plant.

I have some sort of bryozoan colony (I think) that anchors itself onto almost everything submerged shallow that isn't dirt or rock around July every year. Smartweed, dog bane, grass, sticks, bark, fish cages, even my pond thermometer get covered by it.

That's the way my FA is now!! LOL. Could be some form of string algae, I guess.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
It could be as Shorty suggests some form of filamentous algae growing on stems of a plant like Eleochris. Do you have other similar bare stem plants in the pond that don't have the hairs??. Filamentous algae can grow very strongly attached to substrates. IMO the only way to know for sure is to look at some of the hairs using a microscope at 100X-400X and see if the hairs have the structure of FA or not. FA filaments will have unique cell structure.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
C
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
I was walking around the pond after work, trying to decide if I needed to add a little more dye, and came across this plant floating beside the dock. I've never seen anything like it. Would really like to know what it is. Is it considered invasive? Is it a good/bad plant?

I have to assume turtles pulled it up...or it spreads thru fragmentation.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/mhNicSQdtGjXBcXA8[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/irdGe49VQBEt4am39[/img]

As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.

I see the problem. If you use the [img]....[/img] to try to embed the pictures right in the post, then you also have to have an upload of the actual pictures attached to that SAME post as an attachment using the file manager option that is under the posting window. And the address in between the [img]... phrase has to be the pondboss address that shows up in your browser when you click on each attachment.

If you are just linking to a picture that is hosted at an external link then you don't need to fuss with the [img] thing, you would then go to 'full screen reply' and click the little icon that allows you to embed a picture and then in the dialogue box you would paste the photos.app.goo.gl/ etc link.

Sorry if that is too complicated.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
It could be as Shorty suggests some form of filamentous algae growing on stems of a plant like Eleochris. Do you have other similar bare stem plants in the pond that don't have the hairs??. Filamentous algae can grow very strongly attached to substrates. IMO the only way to know for sure is to look at some of the hairs using a microscope at 100X-400X and see if the hairs have the structure of FA or not. FA filaments will have unique cell structure.

That's entirely possible. I have FA growing like crazy on my fish cage right now.

OP Offline
CC....that last part is how I post my pictures already. I've never been able to embed pics on this sight....only links.

OP Offline
CC....that last part is how I post my pictures already. I've never been able to embed pics on this sight....only links.

C
C
MY attempt to understand and help was like this:

If you can't embed pictures, then you might as well just post the link as a copy and paste like this:

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/category-submerge-plants/

and skip trying to add the [img] stuff etc. Saves you time and we can click on the link.

The other option is to download pictures to your computer, then use the file manager and actually attach the picture for us to click on.

If you want to embed them then you are missing a step, and somewhere here there is a better step by step instruction on how to embed them. Someone can probably easily post it. But it is about a 3 step process using the [img] trick.

I find that photobucket is a simpler way to embed pictures in the posts since photobucket hosts them and gives a proper 'link' that works with the software of this forum to make them embed nicely.

But if you use the instructions and add the necessary brackets and find the proper link after attaching the files etc etc then it will work your way with a little modification of your technique.

OP Offline
Strange that all the pic links I've posted up to now have been accessed by others up till now. Apparently others have been able to open them without any issues...as far as I know anyway. No-one else has said otherwise.

Lunker
Lunker
I have to sign in under my Google account to see them when I click the link.

B
B
For each gallon of water mix in 14 ounces of Diquat and 14 ounces of Cutrine Plus....that is a concentrated powerful mixture that will almost certainly totally kill it....if that is what you want to do. Stick a long sprayer wand (preferably 4 ft. or longer) under the water and drive through the weed bed using your jon boat. BM61.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: bassmaster61
For each gallon of water mix in 14 ounces of Diquat and 14 ounces of Cutrine Plus....that is a concentrated powerful mixture that will almost certainly totally kill it....if that is what you want to do. Stick a long sprayer wand (preferably 4 ft. or longer) under the water and drive through the weed bed using your jon boat. BM61.

It's not a bed, I just found this piece floating. It may just be FA on a dead plant I pulled up while raking. I have an email out to someone Mr Cody turned me on to. Waiting for an answer.

OP Offline
Just found another one floating by the dock. Now I'm more convinced it's a plant of some kind. This one has bright green stems. Not as "fluffy" as the first one, but definitely the same stuff. Hope y'all can open this picture.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/8myuzf4S9QgpgppD7[/img]

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 05/02/19 05:33 PM.

OP Offline
Thanks to Mr. Cody and Kelly Duffie, I now know what this is. Those who suggested FA embedded on plant stem were correct. The plant is Spike Rush, which I have along with another type. Hopefully the new dye application and aeration with keep most of the FA at bay.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 05/03/19 10:17 AM.

A
A
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
Thanks to Mr. Cody and Kelly Duffie, I now know what this is.

This forum is an amazing resource. Absolutely amazing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many LMB to remove?
by Boondoggle - 04/17/24 11:26 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM