Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg), 697 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I never have. We swim in the pond a lot, and it just didn’t seem like a good idea. I dress a fair number of perch, and double bag the skins, bones, and guts. After a few days in August it still gets pretty ripe. I’ve thought about dumping them in the woods. I’m sure the coons would love them. Compost for the garden?
I imagine this has been covered before. Sorry if my weak searching skills make this a repetitive post. Just seeing what other folks that swim in their ponds do.
Thx
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
I bury them in the garden when I can. When I can't, I double bag them and set them in one of the freezers until trash collection day.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
The garden approach has the best results, but I don't garden so back into the pond they go. I also don't swim in the pond regularly either. If swimming were to be planned in the near future I would avoid throwing remains in just to eliminate the possible encounter. The few turtles I have, and the raccoons, will make short work of any offal left in the waters. No to mention the benefits to the stocked fish and pond critters.

The only real concern I have is the dog bringing something smelly back to the house.

Fish on!,
Noel
B
B
I throw mine out in the woods or along a drainage ditch for the coons, opossums or whatever can get a snack. I didn't think it would be good to put them back in the pond.

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
Lake of the Ozarks discourages the offal being put back into the waters, where as Truman Lake allows it. The difference being that Lake of the Ozarks has private properties all along the shore and has a large draw to those wishing to ski and swim. Truman lake is surrounded by Corp of Engineers property and is more of a hunter and fisherman's haven.

I believe that there is a benefit to returning the remains back to the water, but I certainly understand the mess it can create for blow-up raft loungers and the like.

Fish on!,
Noel
Good question. When I filet fish at the pond's edge, I'm surrounded by our dozen layer hens, all trying their best to swipe the goods. They get the carcasses and quickly clean them up. I cut the skins into bite sized pieces. The birds particularly enjoy these treats.

The uneaten portions go back into shallow water. Next morning the skeletons are picked clean by the crayfish. If I were to shine a light onto the carcasses at night, I'd see big crays working over the remains.

My pond water is not overly fertile, so the small amount of nutrients returning to the water doesn't seem to be harming anything. I view the process as fish feeding.

A
Online Content
A
Buried in the vegetable garden or fed to the chickens at my house.

I did learn that putting catfish heads in the garden is a bad idea. I stepped on one last summer and poked a hole in my foot. That was an unpleasant experience that I don't want to repeat so for now all catfish heads get bagged and tossed in the garbage.

Once I get the crayfish population established I won't hesitate to toss fish carcasses into the pond.

OP Offline
Thanks for all the feedback. We really swim almost every time we are there.
This does remind me of a funny story. When I was in college my two brothers and I hunted bullfrogs one night. It was after 2 in the morning when we finished. (400 ac lake south of Kansas City). We dressed all the frogs, and put the heads in a burlap bag with rocks and threw it out off the dock. The next day the whole family was out there swimming. My sister and her 3 kids. Etc.. The bag must have come open, the tongues of the frogs inflated, and they started popping up everywhere.
I’m glad my Dad couldn’t swim that fast.. whistle

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Yes I do. I throw the remains of about 15,000 trout per year in my pond. Probably average 125 lbs per week all year round. Pretty sure if you have catfish in your pond there won't be an issue.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
WOW: 15,000 trout !

Lusk talks about stepping on a fish bone in shallow water and recommends against it if you swim or wade.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
OP Offline
Holy crap! 15,000 trout. Those look like big trout too..
I’ve got a chest freezer up at the farm. I’m thinking freezing then dumping. Amazing how fast they can generate stink on a July weekend.
Thx

Otter attack in 2023
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
My cousins own a commercial fish farm up the road to sell to restaurants and grocery stores. I’m guessing most of the trout are 16-19”. I probably go through 8000lbs a year. I’m hoping the HSB I stocked last fall takeover the feeding soon rather than the catfish.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
S
S
In the past if we cleaned a large number of BG along with CC I would dump the remains in the pasture. The next day they would be gone. Coons and coyotes.

If we only had a dozen or so I would throw them off our cleaning station on the dock to the CC in my main pond.

After feeding off and on the last couple weeks and saw what my CC recruitment was, I think all the remains will go in the main pond this year to feed the CC. I always cut the tail and head off the BG so they are easy to consume by the larger CC. Will chop the CC carcasses up into bite size also, or I might throw them in the pasture.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I have fillet trained WE, HBCP, HSB, SMB and YP that congregate beneath the dock...they love chunk BG - including organs. Some of those fillet trained fish have gotta be pushing 150 WR...it's a blast and we're growing some remarkable individuals. Get them trained over the course of 4-6 weeks and they'll hit anything that drops off the dock.

On another note...last Fall I was going to launch my canoe after it's been sitting for several months - flip it over and see [and smell] a couple mouse nests - several scatter into the grass but one gets confused and decides to instead try to swim across the entire width of my main pond. It was late November and water temps are in the upper 40s but still several fish [HSB and SMB I suspect] are striking...eventually near the far shore something finally hammered him dun good. It was such a hoot I've considered collecting them in the outbuilding [infested with field mice] with the 5G bucket/peanut butter trap and feeding them to the fishery. Another part of me thinks it's a bit wrong, however. Feedback?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
Ha! TJ, I’m not sure what my fish would do with a mouse. Be interesting to see for sure. My 4 yr old granddaughter found five or six dead mice that has crawled into my minnow trap over the winter, and never got out. They were mummified. I dumped them in the woods. I always have field mice under the row boat. My bird dog waits for me to move it, then moves in.
One of these days I’ll find something my HSB will hit on, and I’ll actually see one. Maybe the mouse luer is what I need.

Otter attack in 2023
Since I've gotten my Black Soldier Fly Generator established all of my refuse will go in there to feed the larvae. Dropped a 3 ft water snake in the day I stocked it with larvae, and its completely gone after just a few days. Converted into protein and fat that will be fed to my fish as pupae.

I've figured out a way to reduce my overabundance of BG as well. Two cloverleaf traps will catch around 100 in short order. All of which will be transferred to the generator.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass