Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 779 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Just wondering if there is a definitive point at which one much concede that their body of water is too alkaline? At this point based on the composition of my pond water/bottom I could probably point a flashlight at the pond in total darkness and get an algae bloom. I'm not complaining too much because the pond is quite productive and I get less then 18" of visibility with no fertilization... but eventually I'd like to be able to see something other then goldfish. : ) And I am afraid that this lack of clarity may at some point in time adversely affect the growth rates of my predator fish. Of course having said that I don't want to end up in some avoidable cycle of water chemistry changes. (As Cecil once pointed out to me... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and my pond water isn't broke per se.)

So back to what I was asking.... how much is too much in terms of alkalinity? Right now I read 180PPM+ with a PH of 8.1, O2 at 10PPM, No Chlorine, Bromine, Nitrites, Nitrates or Ammonia, and barely the register of any phosphates... (Perhaps <0.01 mg/l)... all read at 60 degrees F.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Pottsy,

Not only if it ain't broke don't fix it but what could you do about it anyway? Both my alkalinity and PH are higher than yours. I believe around 330 PPM and 8.3 PH. Fish are still swimming and feeding although the water has a lot of clay turbidity this year due to continuous high winds.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
True, there is not much I could do about it... and a little test last night shows that my tapwater is also 180ppm+ with a similar PH

Every time I break out the water test kit I feel like I need to fix something. \:\)

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Pottsy,

I know the feeling. I'm always tinkering with the ponds myself. I debating whether to spend the money and treat the turbid pond with some Aluminum sulfate. Clarity with a seechi dish is only 13 1/2 inches. Don't believe I would need a buffer as the alkalinity is so high. I'm concerned that sight feeders may have trouble feeding.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pottsy - Alkalinities need to get above 400 ppm (mg/L) before it starts to become a problem for human health. When alkalinites get above 600ppm iron can become unavailable to plants and lead to iron defficiency. Your levels are in the normal range for alkaline soils and are conducive to allowing plankton blooms if nutrient concentrations are adequate.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
:rolleyes: POttsy and Cecil I'll trade you my alkalinity for yours. ;\) Man I wish all my clients had that problem. Most ponds in GA have 8-10 ppm. We struggle to get them above 20 for more than 3 years with app. of 4 tons lime/acre.

My guess would be to lessen nutrients. Plants around the pond might help soak up some b/f they go into phyto production. Also probably not the most popular choice but dye might shade out some then help increase vis. also light mist of copper could slowly kill "bloom". Heck what do I know I only have to do these techniques when dealing with an old hog "poop" pond.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
JM Offline
J
Same here in central Mississippi. I'm happy to have mine up to around 20 - 25 ppm, and thats with 5 tons/acre added just over a year ago. I suspect that I'll have to add again after a few more years.

John
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Bill , after reading these posts i feel much better about-alkalinity at 70 ppm. and ph 6.5 to 7 . I've read 22ppm. alkalinity was good but did'nt know about how much higher was ok.

G
G
I read all about liming and even talked to the grain elevator today about buying some lime to apply at the suggested ton per acre rate. I thought before I do that I should at least take a pH reading...guess what...my pH is off the chart. It showed as high as two of my testers could read. In the 8.2 to 8.4 or higher range. I also did an alkalinity test...600ppm... I knew my ground water had high alkalinity as I use shallow well water for drinking and for my pool. I always have to add acid to my pool water after adding any well water.

I know if I was planting crops my readings would suggest the need for sulphur. Is there anything I should do about the high pH or alkalinity?

thanks!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Pottsy :

The information I have read indicates that 200ppm is the optimum range for LMB. Don't know what predator fish you have . Like Greg and JM I would love to get to 100ppm , ours with liming gets to 40ppm ,with out lime 10 ppm.

Goldenpond :

As for your question Greg , JM and I will let you have some southern pine trees and red dirt to put in your pond -- guaranted to add acid to your pond. Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks--ewest

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I have plenty of clay and acidity here too. Would love to get the pH level up to 7 and keep it there. 4 tons of lime in 1 1/2 acres last year barely made a dent. May try again this year. Our water shed comes through a hemlock and pine forrest on top of the acid rain here in the east so it is a constant battle as we have had large volumes of run off over teh past 12 months due to a heavy tropical storm season last summer.

H
H
Looks like my water is'nt to bad. 180ppm and 8.3 ph. I have very clear water down to 4 ft. or so and an overabundant algae bloom. Been treating it with Copper crystals but only a small area at a time. Don't think I'm gaining on it. I can see an abundance of fish and my Fatheads have spawned well it looks like. Fish are growing, maybe I can wet a hook next year. Lots of info on this board. It's great!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM