Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,104
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Cody, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure), 725 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#502456 02/25/19 07:52 AM
N
nbell Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Pond is one year old. LMB, CHBG, FHM(I'm not sure any FHM are left). I been hassling one Comorant for weeks. I go to work before light and get home after dark so I can only see whats going on on the weekends my wife doesn't have plans for me. This weekend there were 5. My question is. What size fish do they eat? My CHBG spawned no less than 5 times last year and have been feeding all winter, I have been turning up the feeder once a week and cannot seem to afford to feed them enough food to last more than 5 minuets. Are they going too really decimate my fish or are they keeping my biomass in check? If they are eating my 10" or better fish then the war is on. Ps I used to be concerned with the GBH and Egrets that make a living at my pond but not so much anymore.

P
P
They can eat a 10-12” LMB. Have seen them eat 7” BG easy. More of them the more fish you will loose. Ugh

S
S
A flock chowed down on my old refurbished one acre pond for a few days (before I realized their numbers) and appeared to decimate the BG population. I say appeared because I have no way of knowing for sure other than the feeding response before and after and I have much diminished BG response.

They are a bad deal. A flock will hunt pack style.

Last edited by snrub; 02/25/19 12:10 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
I
I
They eat easily a 12" fish. Usually more than 2 pounds of fish/day/bird.
Some years ago 5 cormorants in 3 months eat more than half of my 1"-12" fish and killed almost all the biggers. I found many of them dead with lateral wounds due to cormorants pecks. They attack every fish. If it's too big to be swallowed, they leave it dead or seriously injured.
I've tried many legal way to keep them away from my pond, but they have been unsuccessful, more or less.
The only thing I've found successful (first year) is a sort of web made with some thick fishing line. Not a single cormorant in my pond since fall. They fly over my pond everyday but no one comes down.

Filippo
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I got a catalog today from "The Pond Guy" and they are selling a blue heron decoy. It got me to thinking. I've always had a few herons here and there, but since the diving water-turkey arrived the last several weeks no herons walking the shoreline. Ummm is there a connection of divng water turkey being there and not seeing any heron?

Weekend before last I started putting up the reflective tape and then a lot more reflective tape yesterday morning.

The reflective tape appears to be about 85% effective against the diving water turkey thus far....who knows how long that will last.

Since the reflective tape ran off the water turkey I saw a heron or two were back walking the shore yesterday.

Is there a connection?

Do herons and water turkey not get along and dont like sharing the same pond?

I would much rather have the heron pacing the shore picking off a few minnows, frogs, snakes, and small fish vs the diving water turkey having their way under water of the entire pond.

"Herons are very territorial birds; when the decoy is placed near a pond, other herons will avoid conflict and find a different feeding spot! The Pond Guy® Blue Heron Decoy deters problematic herons from visiting your pond and doubles as a realistic blue heron pond decoration. The Blue Heron Decoy should be moved regularly for best fish pond protection results. It is constructed of durable injection molded plastic and includes detachable legs and a mounting stake".

https://www.thepondguy.com/product/the-pond-guy-blue-heron-decoy

Fishing has never been about the fish....

I
I
I fear unfortunately it's just a coincidence.

Filippo
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Oh No Filippo!

but i am happy the reflective tape seems to be working thus far

my property looks like Mardi Gras along the shoreline I got so much tape up

Some years ago, a buddy and I were bass fishing on Watts Bar Lake in east Tennessee. We were out in front of a dock, about 75 feet or so, hitting some submerged brush out in front of the dock. A GBH was parked on the dock rail keeping an eye on us when it suddenly did a pelican type dive over one if the piles and came up with a crappie about 10" long, flew back to the dock and commenced to swallow it head first.

The point of the story....they don't just eat LITTLE fish!!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
V
V
My GBH, Boris, mostly eats little stuff but sometimes spears a big bluegill. I think they will eat anything they can catch including snakes, mice, etc.

Boris and I have made peace. I look for him every morning and actually like watching him (or her) fish.

Cormorants are never welcome. I believe the trick is to scare away the scouts otherwise the whole clan moves in.

I find it odd that they are protected since they are listed as "least concern", the opposite of endangered. Apparently they are protected because all birds that migrate are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Vortex 4
I find it odd that they are protected since they are listed as "least concern", the opposite of endangered. Apparently they are protected because all birds that migrate are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

morons in DC

N
nbell Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I guess I need to get proactive. The subsonic scare tactic has not been very effective(I'm not home much, they are very spooky and I can't seem to get closer than 50 yards). I don't think my wife will go for the scare tape(looks like there is trash in the trees). Has anyone tried the "scare rods"?

I
I
Never tried the scare rods, but I've had good results with scare eye balloons. You only needs to hang them around the pond and move them weekly alternating colors so that cormorants do not get used.

Filippo
N
nbell Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Just googled fishing with birds wild China. I may have to give up and start needlepoint

P
P
Ruger M77 .22M scare rod seem to work

T
T
smile smile Ha ha smile

Last edited by TGW1; 03/01/19 06:23 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
V
V
I just got my first great egret a couple of days ago. Nice addition. Much better at catching fish than the GBH. Mostly little fish. Catches something every minute or so.

Yesterday we got our first bald eagle. Crows chased it off.

This morning the eagle was in a tree surrounded by crows. They chased him off again. I don't think they like his conservative politics.

I'd like the eagle to join the pond community.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
F
F
Yesterday I put up 2 of the rotating reflectors and several strips of the reflective tape around my pond. I'm concerned how long the tape will last with the sun and wind working on it, will it deteriorate quickly? We'll see! Hope this helps keep the cormorants away.

Attached Images
Cormorant Reflector.jpg Cormorant Tape 1.jpg Cormorant Tape 2.jpg
Last edited by FayetteTX; 03/11/19 07:45 AM. Reason: Add photos

If Though Desire Rest, Desire Not Too Much.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
FayetteTX.....that spinning Comorant Reflector looks like a neat little device.

I would guess the reflector tape I put up has been about 80% effective.

I may try the spinning comorant reflector that you have.

Flock Reflector Home Depot

Flock Reflector on Amazon

F
F
Zep - if you decide to try the spinning reflector, take a look at Home Depot. Mine were only $20 each with free shipping, other places were a lot more. Some sites ship them with suction cup feet, mine did not have them.

If Though Desire Rest, Desire Not Too Much.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Ok thanks.....yes I saw one site they were $76.50

T
T
I am seeing 2 to 6 cormorants on the pond daily and we visit the pond several times a day to detour them. but, yesterday afternoon I fish a little looking for the right sized cnbg to eat. Not the big ones and not the smaller sized ones. Just looking for that 7 to 8" size. So, when fishing I caught about a dozen and 3 of them had fresh cuts on them from the cormorants. My point is if your seeing cormorants at your pond the cormorants are most likely doing a lot of damage to your fish in your ponds.

Tracy
N
nbell Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I'm not seeing any comorants any more. I do have good activity at my feeder (although I have expected more). I see lots and lots of them sitting on power lines on my way to and from work. In South Texas we have been having flooding rains since last July which has turned my pond black with oak tannin. Have they thinned my fish enough that its not worth there time? Or has the black water made the visibility poor so they cannot hunt? If the latter is true would dying the water when and if my water clears up help keep them away?

T
T
The battle continues everyday right now. Ordered some cnbg from Overton's and I want a Gatlin gun, you know the type that is on our military helicopters. Add it to my side by side and turn the music up loud as I approach the pond!

Last edited by TGW1; 04/10/19 07:22 AM.

Tracy
J
J
Have you considered using pond dye?
If they can't see anything they may move on

S
S
I've got two ponds dyed and one not. They land on all three if I am not around to detour them.

They are being a real problem this year here. Last year they really thinned the fish population out in my old pond that is farthest from my house and difficult to see from the house.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:15 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails