Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (IND1371, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 751 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#500568 01/12/19 10:33 AM
B
OP Offline
B
What do you do when it's cold and rainy and you can't do anything at the pond? I read the threads I have on my watch list. I started out with over 25 pages of them and now down to 17 pages. A few things that I have learned:

It really does "It all depends" Too many variables.

There are some real knowledgeable people on here.

Some information is above my head but some people can explain it in layman's terms so I can understand.

Patience is a virtue. Some pond problems just take time and can't be fixed over night.

It's cheaper to fix a balance problem with a rod & reel than with a fish truck.

And lastly, I wish to be a member of the GREEN SUNFISH ASSOCIATION Hope I can pass the extreme vetting process.

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
Originally Posted By: bigpullerman
What do you do when it's cold and rainy and you can't do anything at the pond? I read the threads I have on my watch list. I started out with over 25 pages of them and now down to 17 pages. A few things that I have learned:

It really does "It all depends" Too many variables.

There are some real knowledgeable people on here.

Some information is above my head but some people can explain it in layman's terms so I can understand.

Patience is a virtue. Some pond problems just take time and can't be fixed over night.

It's cheaper to fix a balance problem with a rod & reel than with a fish truck.

And lastly, I wish to be a member of the GREEN SUNFISH ASSOCIATION Hope I can pass the extreme vetting process.

You should look up and read the threads on RES (red ear sunfish). They are hilarious!

And I am in full agreement with your other observations. PB forum is an amazing resource, made so by it's members. Glad you are here too!

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Hey Puller.....You're more than welcome to be a member of GSF Association!! You'll find the doors open to everyone, and we don't have a standard!!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Welcome to the club

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Great Post! Love it.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
bigpullerman - Based on your post and summary, I think you are being a bit modest about what's over you head. Boiling things down to their essence is a real talent!

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the kind words. I still have over 16 pages of topics on my watched topics list to read through. I have saved several and will be probably several more. There is a wealth of information here. I also have my Pond Boss magazine to read also. Only so many hrs in a day and this work just keep getting in the way.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
C
C
Speaking of cold rainy days, I hope the Ohio Valley pond meisters have their snow tires and firewood ready, looks like another round of winter weather is hitting the same path as last time. So strange to have a snow-free MI winter this year.

How is it in Arkansas?

W
W
I have both! I'm just hoping for the rain and snow to melt to fill my new pond.
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Speaking of cold rainy days, I hope the Ohio Valley pond meisters have their snow tires and firewood ready, looks like another round of winter weather is hitting the same path as last time. So strange to have a snow-free MI winter this year.

How is it in Arkansas?

S
S

The vetting process is much simpler than you imagine. Just send a thousand dollars to my address and you are in like Flynn. grin grin

unknown "facts" about RES

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
OP Offline
B
canyoncreek
Not bad now but this weekend is suppose to turn colder. Lows in the 20s. I know that is not much for yall up north. We have been pretty seasonable with lots of rain. Highs 40-50s lows in the 30s. Just too muddy to do anything around the pond.

snub
$1000.00 Is there a payment plan? hahahahahahaha Maybe I can do one of those go fund me things.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Still reading. Down to 9 pages of topics. I have learned a lot and have been making notes. I have come across a lot of bad links to older topics and some I could not find with a google search but that's OK cause I still have plenty to read. I have kept over a page saved in watched list. Great info here. One thing I have noticed is how many people only post a few times and don't post any more. Makes you wonder how their pond turned out. One other thing I noticed is the "class" of the person posting. I see a lot with the lunker status. I guess that was something that was put on in the earlier days.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
A
A
Still reading. Down to 9 pages of topics. I have learned a lot and have been making notes. I have come across a lot of bad links to older topics and some I could not find with a google search but that's OK cause I still have plenty to read. I have kept over a page saved in watched list. Great info here. One thing I have noticed is how many people only post a few times and don't post any more. Makes you wonder how their pond turned out. One other thing I noticed is the "class" of the person posting. I see a lot with the lunker status. I guess that was something that was put on in the earlier days.

I'd like to make lunker class, but my relative weight is too low.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

B
OP Offline
B
I would hate to know what my WR is. I don't think I would fit on the chart. hahahahahahahaha

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
S
S

The bad links are mostly because of a major upgrade to the system about the time I started with PBF as changes were made that didn't quite get all the old threads accessible.

How to fix bad links

As far as the people that unexpectedly quit posting, not saying this is the case of what became of them............but just saying.

The redear sunfish

Last edited by snrub; 02/08/19 04:38 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
OP Offline
B
Tried the fix the link deal a few times and I got a message about not secure or something like that. I found several by googling Pond Boss topic and then the number but that didn't always work.

Now you may be on to something about the RES. I sure wouldn't want to cross one of those.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Been cold and rainy here the past couple days so a lot of reading going on. I am to the point when I read the first post asking options that I try to figure out what I would do. Some times I am with the experts but a few times I have another take on it. I am still amazed of the people who think you can just throw a bunch of $$$$$ in stocking new fish to fix a problem. I know that I just don't have that kind of money to throw around but some people want an overnight fix I guess. After a lot of reading, keeping a pond the way you want it is a never ending process with lots of work. Constant monitoring is the only way to try and stay on top of it.
Another thing is it's easy to veer off topic. Some of these topics end up talking about things not even close to the original topic. Also a lot funny stuff on here. Well time to get back to my 8 pages of topics to read up on.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
One other thing I realized reading all these topics is that a lot of people give advice more suited toward their own personal goals and types of fish that they like. They suggest stocking certain species because that is the kind of fish they like. Each pond owner needs to know what fish they like and work around that fish or group of fish. Now some species will just not work and the experts will quickly point that out. So it's all about having fun and catching fish. Decide your goals, make a plan and work toward that plan. And if some fish get in there that you didn't want it is NOT the end of the world. You can work around it.
Still raining and I am still reading.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I have learned that a lot or dang near all of this stuff is regional.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
bigpullerman: You have been getting a lot more rain than we have up here in the NW corner of Arkansas. My forage pond and newer pond are running over, and the old leaker lacks 4-3/4 inches to run over. I have a cousin near Bauxite. He says it is too wet to do anything much there, and has been for some time.

B
OP Offline
B
John: I have had water running out the spillway since Oct. every time we get a good rain. My pond has some leaks and seeps so it goes down in between rains. I pretty much look out my window and see a lot of stuff I need to do when it dries up enough. Reading these old topics I have made 3 pages so far of notes. It like taking notes in school on things I read and answers to questions I have. Good reading though.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
One good line or piece of advice on stocking that I come across.
"I would stock hooks and lots of them"
The best way to deal with LMB heavy ponds is to eat the fish. It seems like a lot of people think of them as pets and don't want to catch them out to eat or move to another pond. C&R of great condition LMB is good for a pond in balance but taking some out every year is a necessity.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
A
A
One good line or piece of advice on stocking that I come across.
"I would stock hooks and lots of them"
The best way to deal with LMB heavy ponds is to eat the fish. It seems like a lot of people think of them as pets and don't want to catch them out to eat or move to another pond. C&R of great condition LMB is good for a pond in balance but taking some out every year is a necessity.

Problem is we take out the most aggressive fish and leave the least aggressive. Also, we teach fish not to bite lures, plus epigenetically change their progeny not to bite lures, either.

Mind you, I have taken out LMB. But it's not the panacea it was once thought to be. frown

Last edited by anthropic; 02/15/19 12:52 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Get a 3 or 4 inch bluegill. That works. Actually, I doubt that I've ever seen a pond that was truly balanced after the first couple of years.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Get a 3 or 4 inch bluegill. That works. Actually, I doubt that I've ever seen a pond that was truly balanced after the first couple of years.

With all the reading that I have done that is exactly what I see. It is a constant battle to try to control nature. Nature doesn't always play by our rules. To try to keep a pond in somewhat balance requires lots of time, effort and dedication. Big LMB don't get that way by not eating something. This year I plan on trying to catch some bigger LMB in my pond. I have just been using GSH but I got a new spin cast R&R and some new lures for Christmas. I will also try putting some small GSF under a bobber to see what happens.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday