Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#500480 01/08/19 08:11 PM
M
Madelyn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Everybody,

My name is Madelyn and I am the owner of a 1/2 acre pond in Michigan. The pond is about 30 years old. We are doing our best to slow eutriphocation (need spell check) smile. We have just some minnows, bluegill and a few bass. This last summer we created a sandy beach on one end.

This summer I also pumped into the pond a lot of water from the nearby stream. Pond is not connected to any water bodies or streams. I think I messed up the water chemistry as now we have a bright green carpet of whatever all over the bottom of the pond frown. This has never happened before and we don't usually have much algae except chara. How can I fix this and stop it from happening again? Our water is usually pretty clear. Thanks for any help.

S
S
Welcome Madelyn! You've found a great place here for your question, and someone with much more experience than I will speak on this, I'm sure. Some great folks here when it comes to water quality/Chemistry!!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Is your new green bottom carpet just new Chara growth? Or is the green growing on top of the Chara? Is the water still clear? Can you collect some of the green and get a close clear picture of it. Maybe put some of it in water of a cool-whip lid for the picture?

If it is filamentous algae then the water from the stream likely contained lots of nitrogen to stimulate filamentous algae now growing on top of Chara.

How soon after you pumped stream water did the green develop?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/08/19 09:14 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Madelyn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your help. It is new green carpet on the bottom and on the chara. Showed up after I added the stream water. :{ Yup, I think you are right about the water. The algae is bright green and breaks up if I try to rake it.

Sure sounds like FA!!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Look at this thread from the archives with pics and see if it looks similar.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92633#Post92633

M
Madelyn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We've had filamentatious algae around edges occasionally which I rake out, but this stuff carpets the bottom like green velvet. If I use some green clean pro, cutrine or even hydrothol? I hope it will die and surface so I can rake it up.

M
Madelyn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's spring and I still have a lot of green algae, and even on my white sand area we built last year for swimming. Anybody have any idea what I can do to fix this?

Hi Madelyn, welcome to the forum. Just out of curiosity and possibly insight, why did you have to supplement the water in your pond and how did you do it?

M
Madelyn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We live in a sandy area and I suspect the pond may have a leak because the water goes down about a foot in summer. So I pumped a lot (about 100,000 gals.) into it from the stream near it to keep it up higher. I believe this pond holds between 400,000 and 500,000 gals. of water. It could be evaporation also? That was a lot of water to pump. The creek goes through peoples yards and I realized it probably had phosphorus in it. Pond is looking better now with addition of pond bacteria and some salt. Could be that it is correcting itself. The pump I used was a gas water pump 2" putting out about 130 gals. a minute if I read the pump booklet right. Thanks for your inquiry.

M
Madelyn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I forgot...we added green clean pro granules and killed a lot of algae on the bottom also.

I would guess your loss in water over the summer is due to evaporation. My little pond holds 1 acre foot and lost about 16" last year strictly to evaporation. This year will probably see the addition of a water line from my well to help keep it more full.

I am strictly watershed filled, with a large portion coming off of my neighbors lot. It never fails that I get a bloom after every significant rain event, even using dye in the pond. His septic discharges to the opposite side of his property and he never uses fertilizer, but the nutrients from cut grass and the treeline between us is enough.

With the creek running through other properties, those plots fertilizing and possibly discharging grey water from their septic systems into the creek, you definitely have a greater potential for high P and N being pumped into the pond.

Is the creek full of algae or is it clear most of the time? That might be a good indicator. My pond overflows into the drainage ditch and it sometimes gets loaded with algae after a big rain too. My side of the road will have algae, the other side, none.

I'm no expert, by any means, this is all pure speculation. Just some food for thought. Hope it helps.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
M
Madelyn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your thoughts and help. I appreciate any as I like to pick smarter than me peoples brains. The stream, (Mann Creek) has a pretty healthy flow but not enough to make electricity frown. It has some weeds, clams, crayfish and some other fish also. Stream is clear except for the green weeds appearing here and there on the bottom. Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images