Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My questions is how big stocking densety of walleye and yellow perch if walleye would grow 1.3meters and perch would grow 0.6m(that is how big our zander and red fin perch grow(they are in really similar predator prey relationship as walleye or yellow perch))can i use fry of carp as their primary food.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For your yellow perch, density will depend on food source. For walleye density that depends on their food source or amount. Pellets allow more density although too many or more pellet eating fish reduce better water quality needed by walleye (zander). There are standard or normal carrying capacities for water bodies depending on the natural productivity of the ecosystem. I suggest you research what poundages are grown where you find your perch and zander. There will definitely be fishery studies that have determined this in your country or a neighboring country. Firstly one need to determine the normal fish carrying capacity of your particular pond ecosystem. The stock accordingly. All ponds have different "normal" carrying capacities - each pond is definitely different. One stocking density does not fit all situations (ponds).

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/07/18 11:25 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
A
This is a little bit off topic but does anyone know where you can source european red fin perch in the states!? They get so big and have a similar climate to us in the states. I know there are laws against putting these fish in any public BOW not being native but could I use them on private property?! Or even just for aquarium use would be cool. Imagine catching 18 inch perch regularly in the states!!!

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Im from europe and these fish are native to me

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Opposite of bluegill and bass that are invasive species here

A
A
Yea I saw that!! I was wondering if anyone had a way to source your Red fin Perch and Zander here in the states! I was actually researching a way to source the Red Fin perch years ago and there is a lot of strict laws about importation bc they are non native species. But millions of non native fish are imported every month for the aquarium trade so there has to be a way!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Importation of non-natives is how common carp, wild spawning grass carp and bighead & silver carp are a nuisance and doing damage to our fisheries. Once in a pond they can easily escape my numerous ways which is how all the above are now a problem.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/07/18 07:13 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
And all above are native species here in montenegro thats why i ask you about this species and not walleye and yellow perch (which are similar to zander and perch

T
T
Is it possible for yellow perch and red fin perch to cross breed I was thinking about this to as the red fins get so much bigger than yellow perch the perch would be bigger and produce bigger fillets and the trophy size would also increase

J
J
I understand the perch structure very well and have been working on making some for our pond, but what about walleye?

We plan on adding some walleye later to keep the perch in check but would like to keep them happy. We will be aerating the pond 12 hours at night every night year round. Before the pond fills we are thinking of making some deep water structure for the perch to winter and walleye as well.

Looking at a PVC tree of some sort. Maybe some 4" with 2" then some good old 1/2" black pipe for smaller branches. I am just guessing that the walleye are just bigger perch and would like any tree like structure just deeper water.

Thoughts and tips? That structure archive is sick with tones and tones of info. Just if it was species specific.

One other questions as well. We have a camp on a lake with both fish. The lake is very very big and man made. The water is tea stained with much much sediment on the bottom. Would it be worth to aerate by our dock and what types of structure could we add to the dock area to increase our walleye catch right off the dock? It is very deep starts off at 6 feet and is a 1:1 slope out 45 feet right off the dock.

Thanks

Last edited by Jonnywalter; 08/11/18 03:34 PM.
M
M
pond walleye love rocks and weeds for cover...mine also hang out around deep deadfall tree tops

as for structure, they're always around transition areas such as points and humps

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP
J
J
Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images