Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 948 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
ragsman Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi everyone, first post here. I've been browsing for a while, even before I started building my pond last summer.

I have about a 1/2 acre runoff pond built early last summer. During construction I told the guy I wanted it to be built not to leak, and to rent a compactor and haul in clay if necessary. He didn't feel that either was necessary, and of course my pond leaks. It leaks mainly through the dam (that I can tell), all along the bottom of the dam on the outlet side. It is more of a leak instead of seapage, when the pond is near full I can stir around in the muddy dam leak area and get slow water flow out of it. It drops a couple of inches or more per day. The leak stops once it gets below the grade level of the dam, leaving maybe 4 feet deep or so in the 'bowl' area that was dug down.

The contractor is moving and is not going to repair this for me.

The pond is currently dry right now, and should remain dry or easy to pump out in the event of small showers for repair until the fall/winter (I live near Chattanooga, TN).

I have several options for repair that I can think of, all with varying levels of cost.

I can repair myself:
1. treat it with SoilFloc once it gets water back in it this fall. I am not sure of the cost, and not sure if it would seal or not using this method. It could be wasted money.
2. treat the dam surface with bentonite, then compact myself. I have a tractor and can do this, but I don't have a good way of compacting. I can rent a padfoot roller for about $1500 per week, plus the cost of bentonite, this would cost me ~$3000 to treat the dam surface. I'm not sure that this would work either.

Hire someone to repair it:
1. Some combination of rebuilding the dam/key using bentonite or local clay, and compacting.
2. completely rebuilding the dam, possibly moving it down slightly (also using clay/bentonite/compaction)
3. I have the land/layout to put in another dam below this dam creating two ponds, although it would be somewhat long and curved (it is outside of the natural V where my current dam goes straight between). This would be the most costly option.

My problem with hiring someone is twofold, getting someone that has the proper compacting equipment in my area, and then getting them to actually come do the work at a reasonable cost.
Cost is a factor, unfortunately.

I do have one specific question: Has anyone used a vibrating plate type compactor for a dam instead of a riding sheepfoot or padfoot roller? I can rent one of those for about half the cost of a riding roller, althoug I don't know how easy it would be to use on a slope. maybe even impossible.

any advice for my situation? Are there any contractors near Chattanooga that has the right equipment that I can hire, that happen to browse this forum?

thanks
Mark

J
J
My contractor was the same way, said a dozer was a compactor too, and my first pond leaks. Most of them think they know more than the landowner, even if landowner is well informed.

Please see "dynamic compaction". I think this might work if you can find someone who does it. No one around these parts to do it, though.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ragsman,

First, welcome to Pond Boss.

I would suggest that you contact your local NRCS office. If your local office hasn't been budget cut, they may be able provide tremendous help. If your NRCS services have been eliminated, try your Tennessee Agriculture and Fisheries Extension Office.

I don't have a good suggestion on how to find a good contractor to assist, except by references from the above offices -- unless, there is someone here on Pond Boss who can vouch for local contractors.

I believe that your first suggestion will be pretty risky. It could work. I'm afraid it won't work if your dam was not properly built.

A second dam, with a good "keyway", is probably the best and least expensive (in the long run).

Good luck. Keep us informed.

Hopefully, a number of other experienced Pond Boss pond builders will provide additional suggestions.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
K
K
Welcome to the Forum. I also am a "newbie" here. Learning about proper pond construction... after the dang thing has been constructed. Lots of valuable information being provided to me by very knowledgeable folks here. Bentonite or SoilFloc are possible solutions but not without issues. Costs being an issue as well as application. My small leaking pond has become a challenge.

R
ragsman Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you guys for the advice! There is indeed a local NRCS office, and I am attempting to contact them to see if they can offer any advice.

I will keep you all updated.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Give these guys a call and see if they can help.

Jimmy Gray and Michael Gray
Address:
Columbia, TN
Phone:
(615) 308-5752
Email:
mgrayconstruction@yahoo.com
grayconstruction.net

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday