Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#475483 07/05/17 10:02 AM
O
OP Offline
O
I have a question regarding the eating habits of a blue heron. I have a one acre pond where I am an absentee land owner for most of the year. The pond has been stocked with FHM,GSH,RES and YP for 2 years. It was also stocked with HBG about 18 months ago and SMB/HSB last fall. I notice the blue heron at the pond every time I get a chance to go home which is usually holidays. This time over the 4th holiday you couldn't buy a bite at the pond, but when the feeder goes off there is plenty of activity. I fished every evening and morning for 3 days and caught 2 well fed HBG. Is it possible that since my pond is a hybrid/low fecund setup that the crane has simply eat most of my stockers while I am helpless to prevent it? There is bountiful amounts of FHM and GSH is it possible with the feed that the fish are just not hungry? I am confused because my stocking rates where set high with the hopes of a kids fishing pond. Please any help is appreciated

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
D
D
I know from my experience that when the water temp gets in the 80s the yellow perch just about disappear or it seams. They are there they just do not need to eat.

The blue heron will come on the full moon and will train to the feeder too. When the feeder gos off the heron will be there ready to pick off what fish he can.

I wonder how many fish one could eat. Most all the fish they eat do seam quite small. The blue heron will barf in the pond to chum the small minnows in to eat more. I have seen live minnows barfed into the pond and shore by these buggers.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
We fished Sat and Sunday. I threw some jigs, and lures. Nothing was biting, but when I hooked a red wiggler under a bobber at about 2', the grandkids were pulling them out. My fish are about the same as yours. I've got some little green herons that work the pond. A kingfisher or two, and a GBH. I dont see the GBH as often as I used to. I've got pretty steep banks. I'm also a little north of you in NE Missouri. My water temps always surprise me. The top few inches of water are warm, but below that it's pretty cool. In fact, swimming on Sunday when the dog was swimming around me, he was stirring up the water. Darn near gave me hypothermia..
We ended up catching around 15 YP, 4 HBG, and a SMB, all on worms. Some of our fishing was in the heat of the day.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
G
G
I have noticed that this time of year my usual curly tail jig I fish for perch with is not as effective as in the spring and fall. I set out a minnow trap and then fished with minnows on the bottom and things improved greatly, even during mid-day.

C
C
The GBH by me has switched over to nighttime sampling of my pond fish only. I caught him last night in the pitch dark. I bolted out of the vehicle and ran at him/her arms waving hollering. He was so startled or couldn't see me well that I got quite close before he took off. I don't think you can win without a fence!

I too would wonder how many fish they eat. In the shallows they have to be getting the tiny fish I would think?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Ozark that's troubling...sorry to hear it. I don't have scientific data to support diet of GBH, but from personal experience I have seen many BG from my trophy pond [8-10"] with spear marks that obviously escaped, and have seen a few nice SMB dead on the bank with the same injury markings over the years. Suggests to me a GBH will target anything possible, even if it's too large to eat. Considering this, I discourage them whenever possible, but that's far easier said than done. I can't imagine the damage performed between visits as an absenteee land owner myself.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker

J
J
If only we could get a big Wels Catfish. Those things would eat the herons. I guess Florida and south Louisiana ponds would be free of herons if an alligator lived in the pond. LOL

A
Online Content
A
I have issues with a GBH as well. He's got the timing down with the feeders, haven't seen him feed except when they go off and fish are abundant and unwary.

A fence should work, as GBH won't land in the water. They insist on walking from land into shallows, so a physical barrier to this will complicate their life. Also, steep shorelines help.

If you have a feeder, try to place it where the pellets fall into deep water and are pushed away from shore by prevailing winds. The GBH never tries his luck from the dock feeder, as it is over deeper water.

Some have had luck with GBH replicas (they are highly territorial) or even fake gators, but eventually they wise up.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

C
C
Too bad we couldn't leave those kids toys (fake fish you throw in the tub) that are made of the expanding sponge material so that once they eat it and it gets wet their entire insides would be plugged up? At least they would fly over the pond and feel like they had just left the golden corral buffet all the time and pass up a chance to stop by for another meal?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah and one more thing if you think they don't eat at night you got another thing coming. My Dad get up early to do stock trading once in a while and has scared the BH off our pond at 3 in the morning.... Dang things.....

Rc

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
O
OP Offline
O
I am back at work now. The kids and wife are still at home so maybe I will have them try some live worms to sample fish. I am just concerned that even at 2 fish per week your still talking over 100 fish eaten per year. If I am going to have to feed a crane full time I might have to make the switch to a LMB/BG style pond in order to keep up the buffet.

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: anthropic
A fence should work, as GBH won't land in the water. They insist on walking from land into shallows, so a physical barrier to this will complicate their life. Also, steep shorelines help.

Last year at Kentucky Lake I watched a GBH land on the water and grab a dead fish that was floating on the surface, then take off. This happened 30 yards from the boat I was in and the fish was floating in 6 to 7ft of water. It surprised the heck out of me.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah this Heron won't land in water thing does hold water I have seen this myself on my pond although I think the Heron new it was shallow so it didn't care... Steep banks help as they have a much harder time getting a fish cause they cant walk out into the water.

I have also tried the 20 lbs fish line fence trick and it will only deter him for a while and you must maintain it well. You will end up with all kinds of things busting the line. Deer, the Heron, dogs, coyote's. And wherever I didn't have the fence line guess where the heron was. Only one thing takes care of them for good and I'm not gonna go there.... smile

Stupid birds....

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
P
P
Be careful shooting at swimming muskrats when GBH's are around. I heard a guy the other day say he has shot at a muskrat in his pond 3 times and accidentally killed a GBH the muskrat was swimming past each time. I Guess accidents happen. The guy seemed real tore up about it.

Last edited by poppy65; 07/11/17 10:22 PM.
T
T
This may sound nuts but I saw a gbh swimming to the bank and go into some really thick brush along the shoreline. I have never seen them swim and I have spent a lot of time on the water. There is no way the bird was walking in the water because its close to 6 foot deep where I first saw him. And I attempted to roust him from the thick brush by my side by side and then by boat but was not able to find him or her, so where do they have their nest? Do they nest in thick brush or in the nearby trees? Was this a ghost gbh, it did disappear in the thick brush? I have two or three at the pond most everyday.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tracy, like you, I had no idea that they could swim. Heck, they don't have web feet.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We have a GBH rookery nearby and they frequent our ponds and wetlands along with green herons, kingfishers, and the occasional great egret. I enjoy seeing these beautiful birds. Just part of the pond experience for me. If I was fish farming, then I might have a different outlook on things.

T
T
RAH, there is a 27,000 acre cypress tree forest a mile away from my pond, let them eat there lol I also enjoy seeing all the birds but I have learned Mother Nature will take over and kick my butt it I let it. And the good Lord gave us Dominion over such things. smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
TGW1 #475929 07/12/17 07:41 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: TGW1
RAH, there is a 27,000 acre cypress tree forest a mile away from my pond, let them eat there lol I also enjoy seeing all the birds but I have learned Mother Nature will take over and kick my butt it I let it. And the good Lord gave us Dominion over such things. smile

I know right!!! I too enjoy my King Fisher but he is small and only eats 2 or 3 inch minnow type fish once in a while that's fine.

He doesn't stab a 3 pound bass or 11 inch BG that I have raised for 4 years and then leave it on the bank because he cant eat it.... Ugh.... Don't get me started.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I also don't mind the heron these days. It used to bother me, but then I realized that a pond should be for enjoying, not worrying over. If the bird kills fish, fine. If the fish die without making the frying pan, that's fine too. I still mow and spray, cut weeds and brush, feed the fish everynight. Still stock a fish or two even, but no longer obsess over it. Whatever happens, happens for a reason.

I may have dominion over animals, but it still requires thought, patience, and understanding on my part. We share the ponds.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
That kuumbiya attitude is killing me man..... smile lol just kidding.

Yes we all share and take part, but same goes as for cow's or a deer farm.... we don't want coyotes killing are hard earned raised cow's or deer. So why should I be ok with the Heron killing my hard earned raised with my money fish.... just saying..

RC

F
F
Originally Posted By: John F
If only we could get a big Wels Catfish. Those things would eat the herons. I guess Florida and south Louisiana ponds would be free of herons if an alligator lived in the pond. LOL

Don't count on that. When I was in FL I noticed Blue Herons right along right along side the alligators. I had wondered why, thinking like you said. Then at one area I seen why. An alligator was next to a blue heron with it's eyeball plucked out and still dragging along 2' away with the retina cord still attached. Thought to myself, "that's why you don't mess with a blue heron!!!!". I have a picture of that somewhere.

GBH will land in water, but I'm not sure if they swim or just flap their wings to get to the bank. Had one that would hit the 6:30 pm feeder throw while the CNBG were actively feeding. He'd grab a fish, then paddle it to the bank with it. They're smart birds, and can learn.

AL

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
OHHHHHHH!!!! Not good.... I have a feeling if you had a gator to keep the Heron away wouldn't the gator just eat your fish then anyway.... Kind of giving up one for another scenario hey.... Yeah you don't want one of them birds attacking you dang bill is hard as rock....and sharp as a knife I bet... fricken birds..

RC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails