Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (Rick O, Freg, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello), 724 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thought I would show off our new project for the month. A dock we can actually use!! lol

Here we are making the first section. We already had the concrete laid and ready.

Here I am on the first part pretty excited to have a solid dock!

Here we are with the first 2 sections.

In this pic I thought I would kinda just show off the hardware we were using. It's from Tommy Docks. That stuff is a bit expensive but it's GREAT stuff!!!

I'll continue on next post.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
C
Are you pounding the support posts into the bottom at all, or do they just set on that square pad?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
New Dock Continued.

Here we are making the last walkway section. It was a total of 36ft.

Here we trying to get it in place we were cutting it close water wise lol.

Here we are sliding the larger deck section out in place. We put both the last walkway and deck in frame only so we could carry it and it was still heavy!

Here it is all in place finally.

Here I am laying deck boards but mom had to get in on the action for the picture. haha

Here it is all done except rails and we need 2 cross braces but otherwise it's sweet!! I love it! The deck is 10x12

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Cat they sit on the pads, they are called muck pads they are 14 inches wide. I only have about 5 inches a muck in my area tho, but they do have holes in them so the muck can slowly seep out and settle. Then you can re adjust pole up or down with a big stainless steel screw that you can losing up.

F
F
Very Nice! I would love something like that.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Farm thx! This same dock if you had to have someone build I would say would cost you about 3K I think I have about 1K in it and we did all the work. I love it!! We used all 2x6 treated boards and it's solid. Cant wait to get the rail on it and table and chairs. Beer in hand and pole in the other!! smile

RC

Last edited by RC51; 04/10/17 01:45 PM.

C
C
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any water fluctuation? The pond I'm installing my next dock raises water level at least 20ft sometimes. I would fear (in my situation) that it would float the dock during floods.

Dock looks outstanding by the way! Good job.

F
F
Very nice RC. Kick back end enjoy, time goes by to fast. You earned it.

Cat--- 20' is a big amount!!!! I have a pond where the water may come up for a week or so. Its' usually about a 1' difference. I built the dock so the wood platform will float up with the water. You can walk on it if need be, boots suugested, but it keep the dock from pulling out the posts. Has worked now for about 5 years. No floatation added, as most of the time it settles back down in a few days. One time it lifted about 3' up. I think if I did it again, I would build a floating dock that could be unattached that can then be taken out into the pond like a boat to fish and swim from.

W
W
Looks great RC!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
C
I'm looking for different ideas on building a dock that can handle our place. I don't think this is the solution but I do like your build a lot!

Normal water level:

After a solid rain:

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
RC, Looks Great! Do you plan on sealing the decking?

I've already replace some of my 2x6 decking and my deck is 3 years old. Now, I'm scared to seal it because I'm worried about the sealant dripping into the pond.

(Side Note... I wish they'd bring back the arsenic treated lumber or find something that lasts better than the current treated lumber!)

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey guys thx for the comments. As far as adjusting this dock you can it just depends on how high you have your poles up out of the water. If you have to adjust a foot or 2 up or down you can use a come a long (SP) to do so. Put a hook on the hardware on the side of the dock and then hook it into the top of the pipe, losing up bolt that holds pipe / pipes in place and then start cranking it up then re tighten bolt. I would do 2 pipes at a time though to try and keep thing even. As you can see I have my pipe not very high as we measured my pond this last fall when it was FULL pool and running over the spillway so we new in advance how high we really needed it for max water. So I shouldn't have to really mess with mine at all. I would say we are about 14 inches from shore to full pool right now and as you can see we have a good 10 inches or so under the dock still.

As far as sealing it yes we will. I suppose we will just use brushes and take our time doing it. A little might drop into the water but I don't think it will be enough to do any harm. I like using Thompson's water sealer. Course we will wait about 6 months to do so and let the wood cure first.

RC

Looks great, RC!

A whole new world of enjoyment having that dock. Especially knowing you and the family built it, congrats!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
F
F
I looked up that hardware and it's available through Home Depot, so it's easy to get. I've come back to these pictures several times to look.

Great job by Mom holding that drill too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey, RC, been awhile! The dock is a great addition to your pond. It's great to see you and your folks are still going at it strong together! I also see you have a feeder out there now. I haven't been around in a while and am going to search your posts to see how the overall project is coming along. Your cabin was looking really good last I saw but that's been a few years and I'm sure you've made even more strides since then!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Looks great RC. Only other thing I'd do is cover those bolts that anchor it to the concrete pad. Looks like a toe skinner if you're wearing flip flops, in the dark, toting a beer.....

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks guys here is the dock with the rails on it.

Attached Images
Dock.jpg

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Hey, RC, been awhile! The dock is a great addition to your pond. It's great to see you and your folks are still going at it strong together! I also see you have a feeder out there now. I haven't been around in a while and am going to search your posts to see how the overall project is coming along. Your cabin was looking really good last I saw but that's been a few years and I'm sure you've made even more strides since then!

Todd hey man what's up!! It has been a while and I have done a lot more stuff to the cabin just kinda got sidetracked with the posting of it all. I will try and find my original post and update it maybe next week. Hope your doing good!! We've done floor, finished the kitchen off and spare bedroom. We finished the bath room and put in a cedar closet in there. Made a cedar gun cabinet in the main closet. Done a lot of stuff I'll get some pics together and show it all off soon.

RC

I like your design, RC....nice job!

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RC51
Todd hey man what's up!! It has been a while and I have done a lot more stuff to the cabin just kinda got sidetracked with the posting of it all. I will try and find my original post and update it maybe next week. Hope your doing good!! We've done floor, finished the kitchen off and spare bedroom. We finished the bath room and put in a cedar closet in there. Made a cedar gun cabinet in the main closet. Done a lot of stuff I'll get some pics together and show it all off soon.

RC

I'd love to see those pics, buddy. Sounds like you've gotten a lot done. I'm sure it's been a fun ride!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
K
K
Your new dock looks really nice. Very functional. Now, sit back and enjoy.

Keifer

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
cat, I would look at a hinged dock to handle the fluctuating water levels.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
M
Looks great! Love the dock and the pond!

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP
C
C
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
cat, I would look at a hinged dock to handle the fluctuating water levels.

Thanks. The dock that's already there is hinged. I was hoping to find a different or new option for a new dock but I don't think there is a better system for my extremes than hinged.

The dock looks great finished! I like the railings.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails