Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Andy G Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a new pond thats been filling slowly over the past year. Its a deep pond but surface area is goin to be only about an acre. I have been stocking with FHM and i believe last year i had some successful spawnings. I have lately been buying black minnows to fish with and have been dumping the left over blacks into the pond because i believe blacks and FHM are close to the same right? Anyways my main question is what would happen if i bought shiners from the bait store to fiah with and dumped the leftovers in the pond? Would the live? Would they spawn? Would they be good for my pond? I do not know the species of shiner. The menu just says medium shiners. Thanks guys.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Not sure what "black" minnows are.
Golden shiners would live in an Oklahoma pond. They are predators, limited by mouth size. They'll eat your baby fathead minnows, grow to 6-7" and then stop spawning. They have an endemic ovarian parasite which diminishes their reproduction over a couple of years. If you don't have any predators, I wouldn't stock shiners.
If you have bass, shiners could diversify the food chain...heavy on the word, "could".

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Never heard of black minnows and there are several species of shiners. Not sure.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Andy G Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys. Im thinkin i should stick with the fathead minnows. I appreciate your feedback.

Build it and they will come, whether you want them to or not.
Andy G Offline OP
OP Offline
I am surprised that yal havent heard of the blacks" minnow option. Every minnow store around the tulsa area all sell blacks. Ive heard they were fathead minnows but i dont know. I hope they are cause ive put about ten pounds of blacks* in my new pond lol

Build it and they will come, whether you want them to or not.
Shiners the same as fhm?
Shiners are ranging from 3-11 dollars a dozen here.
Can you raise them in an aquarium or tank?
What do you feed them?
One bait shop said the supplier told them to get whatever price they can get for them in response to the question why are their prices so high compared to other local bait shops.

J
J
Shiners are NOT the same as FHM. FHM only get to three inches or so. Shiners can reach 10-12 inches.

R
R
I've been catching some really large (10-12") golden shiners on yoyos lately using a number 8 hook intended for bluegill. Never catch them on a 4 or 6 hook... amazing what is out there when you look. Small golden shiners are never present in my bait nets, just golden topminnows and grass shrimp and small sunfish, so that lends creadance to the breeding issues.

D
D
Originally Posted By: ryjohn
I've been catching some really large (10-12") golden shiners on yoyos lately using a number 8 hook intended for bluegill. Never catch them on a 4 or 6 hook... amazing what is out there when you look. Small golden shiners are never present in my bait nets, just golden topminnows and grass shrimp and small sunfish, so that lends creadance to the breeding issues.

Wow you guys are killing me. I still have ice on our pond. frown

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
R
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

Wow you guys are killing me. I still have ice on our pond. frown

I was raised in mid-Michigan so I know your pain. But trust me the fish taste better up your way in that nice cool water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

It also could mean that the majority of the smaller Golden Shiners are being eaten before they reach adulthood.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??