Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,055
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (Freg, Donatello, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 633 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
.....The LS just stops...no wheel slip, no stall, no breakage, (okay I like that part), nothing, Just "That's all I've got, not doing any more". That's weird. Maybe normal for hydros, maybe I need to max the rpm out, I just don't know. I do know if it were a hydro mower that came into my old shop and acted like that, I would be checking for a slipping belt, or a worn hydraulic pump/motor. We'll see.

Sweet looking machine Sparkie! What model did you go with? My JD is hydro and will push till it can't. I would not like the "just stops" when the job gets a little hard thing either. I think I would be on the phone to the dealer to ask if that's the way it's supposed to operate. Maybe a faulty or incorrectly set torque/pressure sensor kicking you out?

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/16/17 07:35 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
S
A hydrostat transmission is best for utility jobs where changing speeds and reversing are the most important feature. They are far less efficient than a gear transmission for outright pull or fuel efficiency. For a steady, long term drawbar pull like plowing out in a field, they are not a particularly good choice. Quite a bit of horsepower is wasted.

But once you get used to it and for what you likely will use that tractor for, you will love it.

I'm not sure what the mechanism for protection is on the smaller hydrostats. On high horsepower ones like on a combine they can either have a high pressure bypass or they can have a mechanism to destroke the pump at stall pressure. But those are applications where the engine is supplying lots of horsepower elsewhere and the hydrostat is not designed to continuously handle full engine power. On these small ones, they may just be made robust enough to handle full engine power and not really have any over pressure relief. If you can kill the engine, it likely does not. If it stalls out while engine is at full rpm, it likely does.

If you expect it to do everything your significantly larger tractor will do in all applications, I think you will be disappointed. But used as the size tractor it is for utility jobs, I think you will love it.

As far as engine rpm, doing utility stuff and most loading jobs, I run about 2/3 throttle. If you need full power at the wheels, obviously you need to be running full throttle. About the only time I run full throttle is when I am mowing or tilling where the pto needs to be up to speed for the attachment to run properly.

Last edited by snrub; 03/15/17 11:24 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
OP Offline
J
My smaller LS (XJ2025H) doesn't stop. It spins the wheels. Maybe my ground is softer, or slicker. I haven't tried that on a driveway.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Snrub, you said something that reflects an ever growing suspicion on my part. "But used as the size tractor it is on utility jobs"....that's my worry.

This situation reminds me of an incident years ago, when I was at the Deere dealership. A large part of our customer base were farmers. They used equipment everyday, and were well versed in what one might reasonably expect out of a machine. This one family had owned Deere products for decades, including their lawn equipment. Deere had just introduced the replacement series for their bulletproof,but long in the tooth, 400 series garden tractors. These folks bought the first one that rolled into our showroom.

I got a call the same afternoon. They weren't happy, claiming the new tractor was a shell of its former lineage. After a few trips out to the farm, adjusting everything under the sun, I had to agree. It finally culminated in a three way phone call between myself, the customer, and Deere. And I listened while the Deere rep attempted to quantify the new tractor's shortcomings by saying that it was really more of a yuppie tractor. His exact words.

Dead silence. When my customer did finally speak, he left no doubt as to his thoughts on Deere's decision to discard the old platform.

I'm wondering if that's where I am with this new one. I don't need high and low beam headlights, taillights,turn signals,7-pin trailer hookup, suspension seat, cruise control, tilt wheel, or parking brake alarm. All of which this has new tractor has. What I do need is a tractor that will run into a stone pile and come out with a full bucket. No horse stalls to clean out here.

I need a tractor that will hook onto a heavy duty, 5' bushhog, and take it uphill into the woods to mow brush and saplings. I need it to pull a 60" box blade full of stone. Those are the three hardest chores I need a tractor to accomplish, and I'm talking a total of less than 30 hours a year for that. The rest of the time it an be a wheelbarrow, with a chainsaw or two in the bucket.

When I get home tonight, I'm taking it down to the pond's where a conveniently large, mature Beech lives. I know that tractor won't even shake it, everyone reading this knows it won't shake it, but I need the tractor to NOT know it can't budge that tree.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
F
F
I had no idea tractors came with all those unnecessary options. A tractor is suppose to work not be a Friday night cruiser. I hope you get it figured out, I'm sure that thing cost a pretty penny.

When I bought mine, I bought it for the sole purpose of plowing and shredding. I had a 5 acre garden that I used to save endangered open pollinated crops. I also grew family heirlooms that people sent to me to continue on and pass on to others. I'm disabled now and no longer able to do those things, so my tractor doesn't get much use, but I have thought of making it pretty for parades and stuff

J
OP Offline
J
I don't need turn signals and such either. Cruise control might be useful if you were mowing in long lines, but it might be a danger if one fell asleep and ran into the road, pond, etc, or fell off. Otherwise hydros will quickly stop when foot is off the pedals.

B
B
It's here. Not really sure about it yet, I need to get some seat time and see what I think before passing judgement. It's such a far cry from what I'm used to, I'm unsure whether it's my inexperience, or the machine itself. My initial assessment from a whopping 20 minutes of operation is that the 60 year old 801 it's supposed to replace, would absolutely eat it's lunch. If it were my first tractor I would be thrilled, and probably outside wrapping it in a blanket. But it isn't my first tractor.

It runs good, and operates like a dream. Very easy and intuitive. It's light....way light compared to what I'm used to. The notion that 4WD makes up for light weight, appears ludicrous at this time. But, that may be my unfamiliarity talking again. I love the simplicity of operation that the hydro offers, with it's twin pedal setup, but I'm expecting more grunt from the transmission. The old Ford, and the even older Allis, will continue to pull right up until they 1) Lose traction, 2)stall the engine, 3) Twist something expensive in two. The LS just stops...no wheel slip, no stall, no breakage, (okay I like that part), nothing, Just "That's all I've got, not doing any more". That's weird. Maybe normal for hydros, maybe I need to max the rpm out, I just don't know. I do know if it were a hydro mower that came into my old shop and acted like that, I would be checking for a slipping belt, or a worn hydraulic pump/motor. We'll see.

I had a Kubota 3010 and 3830. Both HST models. Both needed to run about 2100-2300 RPM when doing anything other than driving. PTO was about 2650RPM. You can fill the bucket in medium range, but you have to feather the HST pedal. Low range is much better, but slower. The 3010 would spin all 4 tires in medium range running the loader, but the 3830 would only do it in low range @ about 2500 rpm.

It will take a little seat time to figure out the way your's will work.

Last edited by BrianL; 03/16/17 10:39 AM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

Last edited by RAH; 03/16/17 11:55 AM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The LS wasn't able to uproot that 30" diameter Beech, but it made a fine showing for an unweighted machine. Next step, rimguard.

J
OP Offline
J
The LS wasn't able to uproot that 30" diameter Beech, but it made a fine showing for an unweighted machine. Next step, rimguard.

Aww..you should have bought a Cat D-11H. grin

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: John F

Aww..you should have bought a Cat D-11H. grin

Tried. Our accountant broke out in a cold sweat at the thought of trying to legitimize it as necessary for our maple syrup farming operation. wink

Sorry Bill, almost forgot...it's an xg3140

Last edited by sprkplug; 03/16/17 06:42 PM.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
When I get home tonight, I'm taking it down to the pond's where a conveniently large, mature Beech lives. I know that tractor won't even shake it, everyone reading this knows it won't shake it, but I need the tractor to NOT know it can't budge that tree.

As you get a little further into the bonding process, I would suggest some gentle buffing between the headlights with a patch of lambs wool, accompanied by soft, barely audible mumblings of affection and encouragement, and perhaps a gallon or two of the very best impeller pressed, nonGMO biodiesel to be quaffed after a particularly productive, trouble free afternoon together.

Last edited by Yolk Sac; 03/16/17 06:53 PM. Reason: Sparkie--only the smallest sip of biodiesel for you, to cement the bonding process as a show of solidarity
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
....I would suggest some gentle buffing between the headlights with a patch of lambs wool, accompanied by soft, barely audible mumblings of affection and encouragement, and perhaps a gallon or two of the very best impeller pressed, nonGMO biodiesel to be quaffed after a particularly productive, trouble free afternoon together.

+1 but remember that little guy is Korean and a long way from home... The "mumblings of affection" should be uttered in Korean and that "biodiesel" should be the juice pressed from the finest Kimchi (filtered of course!) to really make that guy perk up! grin

[Linked Image]
S
S
laugh Sprkplug your having buyers remorse, but way too early.

My prediction is a year from now you will wonder why you waited so long to get it. That is if it is a good tractor, which I suspect it is.

Give it some time. You are the one that was talking about accepting new technology instead of rejecting it.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I am a big fan of new technology, this is true. However I still reach for a notepad and pen when I need to jot down a note or two.....the message here being the latest and greatest should not become so enamored with itself, that it forgets what the primary reason for it's creation was in the first place. It is a tractor first and foremost, and the biggest reason to have it, for me anyway, is for it to do tractor-type stuff, adequately. The built in latte machine is a nice touch though, particularly on a chilly morning.

Yolk I'm glad you weighed in. As you know, I have spent several years now growing out my enhanced brim strain. I'm pleased to announce that they are coming along nicely, but their phenomenal growth hasn't come without a price. They are consuming feed at an astounding rate, and even after much research I have been unable to find a mechanical feeder capable of supplying pellets at the advanced rate and volume that their voracious appetite demands.

I've hit upon an idea whereby the enhanced brim will get the nourishment they need, AND allow me to use my new tractor in another, useful fashion. Check this out:

http://www.agrisupply.com/fertilizer-spreader/p/70271/

I think I can simply hook it up, back down into the water, and let er' rip. It has a capacity of 350 lbs, so that should last 4-5 days most of the time. I know what you're thinking, the enhanced brim might chew through the tires in their frenzy to attack the feed, but I'm willing to risk it.

I've enjoyed this thread, and have learned a lot. Since most everything in this area revolves cutting hay, bailing hay, or hauling hay, I see few if any smaller tractors.

We have a cabbed Kubota L5030, and most of the time it's relegated to grounds-keeping duties. This last week, I've been filling sink holes, and smoothing up our hay meadows for our hay guy. Much like my wife, when he's happy, I'm happy.

AL

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Yolk I'm glad you weighed in. As you know, I have spent several years now growing out my enhanced brim strain. I'm pleased to announce that they are coming along nicely, but their phenomenal growth hasn't come without a price. They are consuming feed at an astounding rate, and even after much research I have been unable to find a mechanical feeder capable of supplying pellets at the advanced rate and volume that their voracious appetite demands.

I've hit upon an idea whereby the enhanced brim will get the nourishment they need, AND allow me to use my new tractor in another, useful fashion. Check this out:

http://www.agrisupply.com/fertilizer-spreader/p/70271/

I think I can simply hook it up, back down into the water, and let er' rip. It has a capacity of 350 lbs, so that should last 4-5 days most of the time. I know what you're thinking, the enhanced brim might chew through the tires in their frenzy to attack the feed, but I'm willing to risk it.

Gosh, Sparkie, what a strange coincidence. I was contemplating GSF specific uses for PTO driven implements at almost exactly the same time:
Should work great with enhanced bream, as well. Now if they just made a 3 point hitch for a trebuchet......

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've heard it said that inspiration can be found in the strangest of places, Yolk. Your most recent photo must surely qualify as inspirational in that regard, as I believe it has given me an idea whose time, I'm convinced, has finally arrived.

Recall if you will, the current, fashionable trend among fish feed producers to combine different size pellets in the same bag, and then charge a premium for the same thing we complained about as being indicative of poor service in the past. Marketing genius.

Okay, bear with me. We purchase the pto driven chipper/shredder, and we convince the folks at Optimal to greatly increase the size of their extruders. Something around the diameter of those foam pool noodles, aka the diameter of a fence post for city folks.

So they extrude the Optimal noodles, or Optoodles, (I initially went with Opoodles, but the mental imagery was quite ghastly), in lengths of 5-6 feet. They could package them in giant plastic wrappers, similar to a super-sized Slim Jim. Include one of those plastic whing dings like what's used to seal up a loaf of bread, and the rest becomes obvious.

Back the tractor equipped chipper up to the water's edge, rev er' up, and start feeding in the Optoodle. Every size from mere dust, to chunks the size of a quarter will be expelled out over the water at great velocity. When the fish get full, just spin the plastic wrapper and secure with the whing ding. Keep fresh for days.

What do you think? Shall we combine our resources and get in on the ground floor?

G
G

Nice looking tractor, Sprkplug, hope it works out well for you.

First thing I did to my new tractor was use a blow-dryer to heat and remove a couple of dozen warning stickers from it........... In hindsight, I wish that I had also removed the Kubota decals from the hood and FEL arms as well. Over a few years the decals have become faded and tattered, while the surrounding orange paint still looks good.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
We spent a little quality time together this weekend. It's growing on me.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
The only thing that I really dislike about my John Deere is that it is wrapped in plastic, ok; fiberglass, that cracks and breaks. Also the "door" that covers the fuse box has a piece of rubber that is supposed to hold the door/cover/gate closed. It no longer does.

The mechanical stuff all works great. It's just wrapped in crap.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
There are a couple things I don't like on my JD X585.

It has three pedals; forward, reverse and brake. They are all on the same side. It is a real PITA if you have stopped on a slope like when dumping a load of stone from the FEL into the pond. Going down hill when you want to move is not an option so you have to move your foot very quickly from brake to reverse or take a bath.

The other thing is the PTO stops when you go in reverse which is a nuisance when mowing around trees and need to constantly be backing up.

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Bill, I'm sure you know to raise up on the pto switch to engage the Rio option? I figured you were already doing that, but I have run across a few folks who didn't know.

It will let you use the pto in reverse when you pick it up, but I agree it's still a pain in the butt.

Thanks Tony,

Nope. I don't know about the "Rio" option but I will definitely try to figure it out now! smile Any hints?

Edit: Got it figured out. You're right. Still a PITA.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/20/17 08:15 AM.

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You don't have to hold the switch up the entire time you're backing up, once the tractor starts to move back you can release the switch and it will continue to reverse on its own

Touching the brake, or forward travel pedals will reset the system and make you start over, unfortunately. Sorry!

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??