Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,021
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
13 members (jludwig, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, canyoncreek, Pat Williamson, Boondoggle, Jason D, STG, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil, JoshMI, gautprod), 1,210 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: MrSandman
Teehjaeh57, thanks for the very valuable advice. I've hooked GC by accident before. They'll take off out of the water like a sailfish sometimes. I've had them on for as long as 20 minutes but they go absolutely crazy when they come close to shore. That's when they've either broken off or straightened the hook.

The Stubby Steve's is a good idea. I've seen it advertised in PB magazine. The pantyhose idea is excellent too, so long as my wife has an old one I could use. I don't have the guts to look in the lingerie aisle at Walmart and go through the checkout with them. :-)

Mr.Sandman, I have been fairly successful caching GC, but as you know it is a challenge to even land them. They will fight harder on the bank than in the water and with one headshake they will break you off on light tackle.

The secret is “presentation”.
If you are using conventional tackle to cast a PH pellet fly or a Stubby Steve you are going to have to use a bobber to cast it or light tackle to throw it and they are very spooky fish!

Heavy fly tackle works for me, using a 9 or 10 wt fly rod with leader/tippet to 15-20 lbs.
They are difficult to target when feeding with other fish – too much feed and competition.
I have been most successful when I find them “grazing” near shore vegetation and toss a half dozen or so AQMX 600 pellets in the area.
When they begin to notice the pellets, sight cast the pellet fly ahead and to the side and they will take the “fly”. ….UNLESS …. they have been CPR conditioned or broken off before. They are smart and will become hook shy fast.

Wish I was closer – we could have a blast – they will take you into the backing in a heart beat and make the hair stand up on the back of your neck?
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Sandman, Im sure this has been covered but will toss it out anyway as I did not do a search. Would the depth that these carp can go to and the turbidity (conductivity) clay content of the water make shocking them up not feasible. I know little about optimum conditions for shocking but see more companies in Ohio providing for it.PS Great video !!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Have a big landing net handy to minimize loosing the fish at the shore.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
Have a big landing net handy to minimize loosing the fish at the shore.

Or a Gaff! grin

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Or a shotgun!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Esshup, I haven't checked out this thread for a couple of days, so sorry. Didn't want to hijack it from the original poster, MARK C. According to Google Maps I'm exactly 2 hours and 13 minutes east of you, near the town of Wellington, OH.

I'd happily buy some Stubbies from you. You could try your luck with the bowfishing outfit too. Seems like there is only one GC feeding lately at the feeder. Most of the fish now are big old CC. The water, although green, is still clear enough to see down a foot or two. Maybe you can get a good shot at one?

Bocomo, two years ago I had an electro shock survey done. You are right, there are a bit too many LMB, but what's worse, there are crappie in this lake. You can count stocking crappie as another of my naive mistakes made shortly after I bought the property. I do know this, years ago, with no management at all, the LMB, BG and YP where all fat and healthy. Seems like all I did was mess things up.

George1, Great suggestions on fly equipment! They are awfully difficult to even get within casting range though. They are very old GC and very wary. I'll consider everything you suggested. Thanks!

Ted, yes! See above. I did the electroshock survey and although we could see the GC working the surface in the distance, they never showed up when we got the shocking boat near them. We didn't raise a single one.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
K. I'll call you when I'm getting a time set up to see Bill. I should still have your number.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:57 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:52 AM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:46 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
Concrete pond construction