Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
A
Hello.

Thank you s252101, for taking the time to make and put these photos on the forum.
A+

S
s252101 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by azteca
Hello.

Thank you s252101, for taking the time to make and put these photos on the forum.
A+

Azteca,

No problem, I have really enjoyed documenting the whole process. I hope that someone will find something valuable to use for their own project.

S
s252101 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Spring 2022 update.

Life has been really busy and we haven't been able to spend as much time as we would like fishing or managing the pond this year. We had a cool spring and extremely windy weather this spring that kept us inside when we did have a little time. The pond is still very cloudy (around 8" of visibility). I turned on the aerators in early May this year because the water temperatures were so cool up to that point and the water was already full of color so I don't think it is an issue related to this system. I have done a jar test and the water seems to clear up only slightly after several days of sitting. I have mixed in gypsum in a couple other jars in varying amounts and it hasn't seemed to help much if any at all. I'm thinking my issues are organic in nature and really want to come up with a plan soon. I know that the low visibility in the water has to negatively affecting my sight predators.

For the first time we caught what we are sure is a second generation YP this spring. I have attached a picture of the 5" little guy; to me there is no way this fish was an original. Our YP have just turned 3 years old and from what I understand when they get to 3-4" they are capable of spawning. If that is correct, we should have seen YP reproduction for the last two springs. I feel like there is a plenty of structure for them. We have had two 30' cedar trees and late this winter I added several tops of hedge trees. There is an area in my pond that is probably 60' x 30' that is full of brush from the bottom to the top. I would think that would provide a decent area for them to deposit their ribbons. Time will tell. Would my large GSH be raiding eggs and eating tiny YP fry?

We saw our first dead SMB. This is the only record we have of one of the original 100 dying. I've attached a picture. It turns out that his eyes were larger than his mouth as he chocked on a 4" RES. That's more proof that they don't go well with spiny backed fish.

I have also attached a few pictures of our spreadsheet with our data on it. We have a spreadsheet with all fish on it and then tabs for individual sheets for each species of fish. So far we have used about 140 tags. Of our original 100 SMB, we have tagged almost 90 of them! We have noticed a couple that we have caught who have lost their tags, but for the most part they seem to be staying in pretty well. Smallie #1279 has a propensity for eating artificial lures and has been caught four times since he has been tagged. I have color coded my spreadsheet tag number to keep track. Fish caught a second time are in blue, a third time in green, and a fourth time in orange.

I was late to have the conservation department come out and shock the pond this spring. Last fall we had a plan to have them come out early this spring to try and find a few WE. That just didn't happen. They were finally able to come out May 10th this year. We were in the middle of a four day stretch of 90+ degree weather and didn't have high hopes for finding a WE. We shocked for about 30 minutes and found lots of healthy GSH, SMB, RES, and YP. It was fun to see how many of them were already tagged. As we continued, we pulled up to one of the SMB beds in the northeast corner of the pond and in about 3' of water up rolled a WE! I was beyond ecstatic and so were the guys from the department. We quickly put her in the tank and continued on for a few more minutes. When we were finished we tossed all the other fish back and measured and tagged the WE. I knew she was a good fish when she boiled up but had no idea how good she actually was. Honestly, I expected a WE to be 14-16" or so at this point or even smaller since we have had no luck catching one. Check out the picture. This fish just turned 3 years old and was 21.5" and 3 lbs. 12 oz.!!!! I couldn't believe it. She was incredibly healthy and growing at a better rate than any other species in the pond. It certainly made my day and gave me reason to believe that the other WE in there were doing well too. I would have to think that this fish is in the top 10% of my WE that have survived, but it just makes us want to catch a couple even more just to see.

I have 30 lbs. of GSH headed to my pond in a few days to continue to supplement my forage base. I plan to add a few pounds to my forage pond and try to get them going well in there. Now if I can just fix my cloudy water, I would feel great about where my pond is headed.

Attached Images
20220221_151914 (1).jpg 20220221_130028 (1).jpg 20220507_194919.jpg 20220510_162502.jpg 20220221_132126.jpg 20220510_152347.jpg 20220527_151404 (1).jpg 20220527_151435 (1).jpg
1 member likes this: DrLuke
Glad you are catching us up on your ponds progress. Looks great.
Couple of questions.. Can you deer hunt from that treehouse? Ha! Just kidding.
Also, you said the Mo Dept of Conservation came out and shocked your pond? Did you have to pay them? How did you arrange it? I’d like to do the same. See if any of my HSB survived, and see if my HBG numbers are as low as I think they are. I think I’ve knocked them down a bunch.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
S
S
Nice update. Looks like that SMB bit off more than he could chew........

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
s252101 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by SetterGuy
Glad you are catching us up on your ponds progress. Looks great.
Couple of questions.. Can you deer hunt from that treehouse? Ha! Just kidding.
Also, you said the Mo Dept of Conservation came out and shocked your pond? Did you have to pay them? How did you arrange it? I’d like to do the same. See if any of my HSB survived, and see if my HBG numbers are as low as I think they are. I think I’ve knocked them down a bunch.

Sure you could deer hunt from the treehouse. I actually shot one of the otters from the top deck when I was building it!

As for the pond shocking, I just called our local Conservation department and set it up. It was free of charge.

S
s252101 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by snrub
Nice update. Looks like that SMB bit off more than he could chew........

Yes he did. I was surprised to see that and could barely remove the RES when I found him.

Originally Posted by s252101
As for the pond shocking, I just called our local Conservation department and set it up. It was free of charge.

That’s great to hear. I had no idea. I’ll be making that call next week.
Thanks!

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
G
G

Thanks!

I hope you have better luck then we did with our local conservation dept shocking fish for a pond evaluation, Ive caught as many fish out of the pond as they brought to the surface with their shocking, rattling around in their cumbersome boat and electrodes rattling, the fish were long gone before they got close enough to shock them, according to their survey the pond didnt have enough fish in it to fill a stringer, when I had filled many stringers out of that pond with some healthy sized LMB, they never floated anything over a lb.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
S
s252101 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by gehajake

Thanks!

I hope you have better luck then we did with our local conservation dept shocking fish for a pond evaluation, Ive caught as many fish out of the pond as they brought to the surface with their shocking, rattling around in their cumbersome boat and electrodes rattling, the fish were long gone before they got close enough to shock them, according to their survey the pond didnt have enough fish in it to fill a stringer, when I had filled many stringers out of that pond with some healthy sized LMB, they never floated anything over a lb.

They didn't do too bad of a job, but I agree, I felt like like a bull in a china shop at times. But, for what I paid for their services, it was outstanding!!! We probably shocked 200 fish (not including GSH) to the surface in about 30-45 minutes each time.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??