Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
10 members (teehjaeh57, Rick O, Theeck, BamaBass9, Purplepiggies7, Sunil, Tinylake, Jward87, Freunb02, Harrison55), 1,433 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
We purchased 9 acres that has an almost 2 acre pond. The house faces the pond and sitting on the front porch, you can gaze for days at the water. My wife enjoys pond-watching almost as much as watching "The Voice." Most times I relax when I pond-gaze, but often I see a list of things I need to get to work on.

Main pesky weed is the primrose. My first effort last fall was to rake it out. I did get a patch about 20 feet wide pulled out. This spring we started with pond dye and Shore Klear. Second dose of Shore Klear was applied from a paddle boat using a 4 gallon backpack battery powered sprayer. I left one cove alone, as the birds seem to like picking through the weeds for stuff to eat.

The pond is pretty old, but the previous owner spent some money fixing the levee. There is a drain pipe about 14 inches in diameter. Christmas day 2015 was a flood and we watched as the levee (which is our driveway and only exit) was topped. Repairs weren't easy as nobody would haul in anything since all the 'pits' were wet. 6 months later - there is still a bump there to remind me what happened. Maybe I should put in another drain?

Lot's of fish. My nephew fishes almost daily. I don't know all the abbreviations for the fish types you use in the forum, but there are some catfish of all sizes, bass, fish with blue dots, and maybe some crappie. I have seen lots of baby turtles and one small snake.

My wife says having the pond in the front yard is almost like being on vacation. I said 'good, because the way it's going with pond management this year, I probably won't have the time or money to vacation anywhere else.'

I found this forum while trying to figure out how to dirun(sp). I was in my local store and a salesman sold me a 5 lb bag of the stuff. He didn't really caution me any. After finding the topic here, I decided to take the stuff back. Score one for forums on the Internet.

I belong to two other forums, one for tractors, and one for golf carts turned buggies. Hence - my hobbies. Thanks to management of this forum and the smart guys who answer the tough questions.

Things I bought that my wife approved of because of the pond:
Paddle boat (used) now named the Jolly Rancher; Binoculars; 20 gauge youth model shotgun for her (thank you Mr. Snake); Weed Razor; Beer cooler for Paddle Boat; 4 gallon powered sprayer; weed eater with big wheels. President Obama was taking all the credit for the economy upturn, I credit my pond.

PondZombie from Somewhere (name of our place)
It's always 5 o clock Somewhere

T
T
Funny! Much of the same description you just said of you wife is the exact same with mine re: a 2acre pond we had constructed 2 yrs ago right off our back deck looking down. It's amazing what a great body of water will do for therapy especially when you can gaze from your back deck all day. Wife gets mad now wehn we have to leave for work or vacation.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
PZ, welcome to the forum. You will probably become a forum junkie as you will always have new ?s and enjoy all the great stories here. Kinda a shame ya seem ta lack a sense of humor cause that comes in real handy.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM