Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, catscratch, Ponderific2024), 1,056 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jetech Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello
I recently became a pond owner and am faced with getting rid of a bunch of cattail.
It appears the pond has not been maintained in quite a while. It is 3 acres and has cattail taking over the shoreline.

I started treatment using Gordon's Pond Master surface and shoreline herbicide.
I am wondering if I am going in the right direction and am open to advice.
I sprayed as much as I could get to a few days ago and some of the tips are starting to turn brown. I am assuming I will have to spray a second time.

Attached Images
pond1.jpg pond2.jpg
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Just be careful that you do not end up with a lot of decaying vegetation in the pond such that you get the DO too low and get a fish kill.

J
Jetech Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I will. I figure it will take quite a while to get most of it out. I am thinking about leaving some around the two main inlets into the pond just to help filter the water. Would that be a bad idea?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I would choose a different plant like giant burreed. Cattails spread by seed. I would cut off all the seed heads early while phasing out the cattails altogether. Until an alternative establishes, you will have lots of volunteer cattails. Although I have never planted cattails, I rogue a lot out when starting a new pond just from seeds that float in.

Originally Posted By: RAH
I would choose a different plant like giant burreed. Cattails spread by seed. I would cut off all the seed heads early while phasing out the cattails altogether. Until an alternative establishes, you will have lots of volunteer cattails. Although I have never planted cattails, I rogue a lot out when starting a new pond just from seeds that float in.

Just to clarify, cattails are rhizomes that spread to distant sites by seed, but spread locally through their extensive rooted network. To definitively kill, physically remove the plants, roots and all, or use Esshup's recommended mix to poison them (send him a PM).

Lunker
Lunker
Glyphosates along with an approved surfactant for pond use are very effective on cattails.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/management-options/cattail/

Quote:
Rodeo, Aquamaster, Eraser AQ, Touchdown Pro, and AquaNeat are liquid glyphosate formulations and have been effective on cattails. These are broad spectrum, systemic herbicides. Systemic herbicides are absorbed and move within the plant to the site of action. Systemic herbicides tend to act more slowly than contact herbicides. An aquatically registered surfactant (see the label) will have to be added to the glyphosate solution for good results.

J
Jetech Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the help so far. I see many things to do and learn about this pond.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sent you a PM. I would eradicate them all and go with the burr reed like suggested.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Jetech Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Sent you a PM. I would eradicate them all and go with the burr reed like suggested.

Thank you sir.

I have been killing cattails in my pond for 10 years now using only Roundup and a surfactant. Glystar now even cheaper than Roundup.

For everything else, I stopped using Aquathol Super K and bought a few grass carp .............. I don't even know what a weed looks like now and my old "weed rake" is filing for divorce due to neglect. grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The only problem with using Roundup is that it isn't labeled for pond use. The active ingredient is the same, but the rest of the product hasn't been tested for use in ponds. Using a product not in accordance to the label isn't a good thing, and if the State Chemist, the EPA or any other governing body wanted to, I think fines could be levied.

Just asyin'. I have to say this because I'm a licensed applicator.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
The active ingredient is the same, but the rest of the product hasn't been tested for use in ponds.
Actually, the surfactant in most Roundup formulations and in many other terrestrial glyphosate brands HAS been tested in aquatic environments.
Although "incidental drift" of terrestrial glyphosates (and their Polyoxyethylenealkylamine surfactants ~ POEA) is unlikely to cause adverse effects on aquatic organisms, the "direct application" of such products to aquatic sites is a very different scenario.
Google the string "tallow amine surfactant aquatic" for an assortment of associated articles.
BTW: In what I consider to be a very unwise decision, Monsanto recently renamed their aquatic glyphosate formulation, which was former sold under the brand name AQUAMASTER, and now call it ROUNDUP CUSTOM. Talk about confusing the marketplace!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM