Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,021
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
13 members (jludwig, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, canyoncreek, Pat Williamson, Boondoggle, Jason D, STG, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil, JoshMI, gautprod), 1,210 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34662 04/13/05 02:31 PM
K
KGP Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Trying to figure out whether to treat with chemicals or bacteria. We have a pond that is about an acre in size that is in the bottom of a hollow in the middle of some timbered land (weekend retreat). The lay of the land makes certain that each fall leaves find their way into the pond. I assume this is what is feeding the fil algae. At present, most of the algae is on the bottom (completely covered), although there are two mats on the surface already.

I have read most all of the other threads on fil algae, but I guess I haven't come to a conclusion on what to use. A game plan if you will. Chem's? Bacteria? The corn meal (bacteria solution)? Combonation? Would aeration be beneficial?

If anyone needs more specifics let me know. Photo below for reference (taken Jan 1, 05).

W
W
I'm in the same boat as you with a pond on the edge of large timber and most of the watershed draining wooded areas, so I assume I get a lot of nutrient load from the drainage. Last summer here in Pennsylvania we were hit by the tail end of 3 huricanes and had several inches of rain with each one. These cleaned out the stream channels and dumped the load in the pond, with resulting mud and algae. The pond was unswimable and unfishable most of the summer. So this year I did several things to try to prevent it and all added together they are working very well. I'm just not sure which ones had the most benefit. I suspect they are listed below in the order of most benefit, but would really like to hear others opinions.

The first thing I did was to build a sediment pond upstream of the main pond to catch the leaves and debris. (I've had a question out on this page for a while with no response, and am still wondering if I should try to get rid of the algae in the sediment ponds or let it grow to help use the nutrients before they leave the upper pond) These sediment ponds stop all upstream crud from getting to the main pond but do nothing for the leaves from about 20 big Oaks and Walnuts around the edge of the pond. I already had one sediment pond on a different drainage into the main pond and like using it to grow minnows, tadpoles etc that reproduce in huge numbers as long as I keep game fish out of it.

I had some algae show up around the edges and also floating globs in early spring. Almost immediately after seeing it I added some blue pond dye and hit the edge with a small dose of Cutrine plus (about a half gallon cutrine in 4 gallons water. I sprayed about a gallon of the mixture for four consecutive days after the water temperature hit 60 degrees.

As soon as the ice was out I put in some barly bales, but have little evidence of their effect.

The main pond also has about six 18 inch Koi and a couple dozen 12 inch goldfish that were in an earlier small pond and originated from my kids aquarium. Just to see what affect these goldfish and Koi have I threw the bass and bluegill that were in the aquarium all winter into the pond and restocked the aquarium with a few small Koi and goldfish, along with some algae from the pond. I've put a pretty good sized blob (3 or 4 inches in size)of algae into the aquarium every day for a week or so and each time within a couple hours it's all eaten. I've seen both the Koi and goldfish eating it. So based on this and the price of the goldfish (6 cents each at a local pet store - just ask for feeder goldfish) I added about 100 of them to the new sedimemt pond. From past experience they grow fast and produce thousands of young. The small ones tend to hang out near the overflow and get washed into the main pond during rain and you can see the bass and bluegill lined up at the inlet to pick off the easy meal. I've seen no evidence of them getting too populated since only the original largest ones survive and no young ones make it to maturuity. If they ever did get too populated their habit of hanging out near the surface would make them easy to shoot or end up as Herron food.

Since I prefer low maintenance, permanaent solutions, and had some bottom growing weed problems last year, I planning on getting a couple grass carp also.

In general, I'm just doing everything I can to beat the algae, with a preference for cheap, low maintenance and relatively permanent solutions. So far this year the pond looks the best it has since the first year it was built.

W
W
I forgot to mention that I also added a dose of Pond Clear biological treatment (bacteria) once this year. I'm trying minimize or eliminate both this and the Cutrine beacuse of cost and labor.

K
KGP Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Sounds somewhat similar, except that mud is not much of an issue, and leaves from run-off don't seem to be either. There are some natural sediment ponds that seem to trap the leaves that come down from rain run-off through the hollow (far end of photo). Our pond is in the Ozark hills and much of the terrain is rock.

It's just that the slopes on two sides of the pond are very steep and high (right and left side of photo), so any leaves from those slopes typically end up in the pond. It's rugged terrain, and raking up leaves is pretty much out of the question.

Right now I'm leaning towards an application of Cutrine plus and then a bacteria treatment. Not sure if I should wait for the bacteria treatment, or how long to wait. Any other thoughts are most welcomed. \:\)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:57 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:52 AM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:46 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
Concrete pond construction