Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Snipe, RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon), 750 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 153 of 183 1 2 151 152 153 154 155 182 183
P
P
My pond is still 3’ low also. I bet those stripers are fun to catch . I would stock a few but can’t seem to be able to keep any BCP so for now will have to pass on them

A
A
If I can just keep the poachers out, stripers seem to do fine. Great fun on light tackle. They do take feed readily, so fishing for them near feeders often works.

Wish I knew the magic trick for tilapia harvest.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
Temperature has dropped close to 50 degrees over the last 2 days and is now in the 20s (and it is snowing). Opening day of gun in Indiana, but I am all tagged out until muzzleloader. It looks pretty outside, but I am kinda glad to be inside with a fire going in the woodstove. I have not heard any shots from neighbor's properties which is odd since the first snow usually gets the deer moving. Maybe they are all in my place:) Will be keeping our dogs away from the edges of our property this weekend... Forecasts predict below normal temps for the next 10 days. Winter appears to be here.

1 member likes this: FishinRod
C
C
Same here, but without the evil white stuff. 75 on Thursday, high of 34 today, with a low in the high teens tonight. Knew it was coming & got the wood furnace fired up yesterday afternoon in preparation. Got 4 cords of seasoned, split oak laid in, so we're good to go for winter.

Fortunately, all the grass seed & straw I started putting down around the pond in late September is paying off. We had way more worked/raw earth than I was willing to pay for the straw to cover it all, but I did focus on the areas that would receive the most runoff. It's not near as thick/established as I'd like, but is growing in pretty well, considering the weather & timing. Hoping it helps to keep the worst of the erosion & silt at bay.

3 members like this: gehajake, RAH, FishinRod
A
Online Content
A
Been flat on my back with the covid since 11/5. Felt great on the 4th, woke up to a living hell on the 5th.
I'm starting to improve, but I wouldn't give a nickel for me right now.

I used a pellet fly to catch this HSB on 11/4. 19.75" 4.665lb 112% Wr

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

The two I butchered a few weeks ago were full of crayfish. This one was full of Optimal Hand Throw pellets.
I didn't pay attention to the livers of the other two, but I'm thinking this one should be a different color?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
HSB have been shown to get morbidly obese when they eat carbs from some pelleted fish food.. I would expect that to exhibit in fatty livers.

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by Augie
Been flat on my back with the covid since 11/5. Felt great on the 4th, woke up to a living hell on the 5th.
I'm starting to improve, but I wouldn't give a nickel for me right now.

Sorry to hear you are laid up with Covid.

Hopefully, your improvement slope keeps moving upwards!

A
A
Originally Posted by ewest
HSB have been shown to get morbidly obese when they eat carbs from some pelleted fish food.. I would expect that to exhibit in fatty livers.

Processed carbs do the same to me. Fortunately (???) I have diabetes, so am forced to eat a healthier diet than I'd prefer!

Hope you are recovering well, Augie. I've had healthy friends who went through the mill with Covid, sometimes after getting the shot. Not a fun deal.

Pond report: Fish still come to feed, but few if any CNBG or BG. LMB and HSB pretty much all I see, along with tiny YOY fish in the shallow weeds. Some of the LMB are good size, though it's difficult to judge exactly when they're in the water. Not a tilapia in view, I suspect most or all have already perished of cold.

May put in some RBT, which apparently are more available this year than last. That will give me a good excuse to keep feeders going all winter!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Get better, Augie!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
B
I went over to the pond about an hour before dark today to feed the fish and couldn't, already had ice covering the whole pond. Seems a bit early. Yesterday there was a little ice around the edge, but I still had fish coming up to eat.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by Bobbss
Yesterday there was a little ice around the edge, but I still had fish coming up to eat.

Fish still eating as your pond is starting to ice up is pretty impressive!

Could you identify which species and size cohort was still feeding?

G
G
I went over to the pond about an hour before dark today to feed the fish and couldn't, already had ice covering the whole pond. Seems a bit early. Yesterday there was a little ice around the edge, but I still had fish coming up to eat.

A week ago, first day of our rifle deer season, my fish were still feeding voraciously, but a week of cold weather put the kabosh on that, by this Saturday I couldn't get one to come up and eat, pond is still not froze over but some ice around the edges, some of the smaller ponds are frozen over completely.
I dont have any thermometer but I wonder how much that water temp dropped in a week. I had a friend went on the Missouri to do some fishing sat and it was already down to 44 degrees I think he said.
I was surprised that the fish were still eating on Nov 12th because usually they quit in early Oct I thought, so I let them run out in the feeder, but when I did some hand feeding in mid Oct they were still feeding good so I got them another bag of feed

Last edited by gehajake; 11/21/22 11:05 AM.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted by anthropic
Hope you are recovering well, Augie. I've had healthy friends who went through the mill with Covid, sometimes after getting the shot. Not a fun deal.

Thanks. Still getting my stamina back, but I no longer feel sick. Had enough energy to get a few light chores done over the weekend.

It's said what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If that's true I should now be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Covid doesn't give a hoot whether you're vaxxed or not. I had the one-shot J&J. Mrs. Augie had the Pfizer and three subsequent booster rounds (she's an RN at the VA).

1 member likes this: SetterGuy
C
C
We put the drain pipe in & laid down a rock pad on the dam where the tiki bar & pavilion will go.

Cold snap had a light skin of ice on the pond, so my idiot cat chased acorns all over it while watching us work.

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl
Cold snap had a light skin of ice on the pond, so my idiot cat chased acorns all over it while watching us work.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."

-- Mark Twain

You cat is lucky it didn't learn the lesson "in no other way" about how enjoyable it is for a feline to go through the ice into a cold pond!

B
B
FishinRod, all I can say for sure is BG in the 4"-6" range. There could of been others but I didn't have time to hang around. It did take a few minutes for them to come up to feed and it was pretty slow. Wednesday I seen BG and LMB, all sizes. Last weekend I seen BG, LMB and YP.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
FishinRod, all I can say for sure is BG in the 4"-6" range. There could of been others but I didn't have time to hang around. It did take a few minutes for them to come up to feed and it was pretty slow. Wednesday I seen BG and LMB, all sizes. Last weekend I seen BG, LMB and YP.

Good deal.

I have no clue about the science of over-wintering fish. However, I would imagine that your BG going through the winter with an extra 10% or 20% on their body mass can only help them grow faster and reproduce more the following spring.

B
B
Thats kind of my thinking, so I keep feeding as long as something keeps eating.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
C
C
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."

-- Mark Twain

You cat is lucky it didn't learn the lesson "in no other way" about how enjoyable it is for a feline to go through the ice into a cold pond!

He got wet yesterday, fortunately just a few inches from the bank. Just a little ice left in a shaded corner & he just had to do it. Heard it creaking & started to turn around, when one hind leg went through & when he tried to jump, the other went as well & he got wet up to his butt. Took off for the yard like his butt was on fire, leapt into a pile of leaves & began licking himself furiously. That fur ball is not right in the head.

2 members like this: 4CornersPuddle, FishinRod
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
If he has learned his lesson, then he is a smart cat.

If he plays acorn hockey in the near future and goes through the ice again - then "that fur ball is not right in the head".

We have both smart cats and dumb cats at our house. I wish I knew what the smart cats were thinking when they are watching the dumb ones repeat a prior stupid behavior!

1 member likes this: CrazyCarl
C
C
Originally Posted by FishinRod
If he has learned his lesson, then he is a smart cat.

If he plays acorn hockey in the near future and goes through the ice again - then "that fur ball is not right in the head".

We have both smart cats and dumb cats at our house. I wish I knew what the smart cats were thinking when they are watching the dumb ones repeat a prior stupid behavior!
Pretty sure this one got an extra dose of the "not right gene". Seen him 30' up a tree, stalking birds & watched him jump from the porch rail to our 12/12 pitch roof in order to chase leaves like a crackhead. Dude even follows me around outside like a dog. He's pretty sharp on the uptake, but he's goofy as all get out. At the rate he's still growing, I'm guessing he's not quite a year old (he's huge), so he's still got a healthy dose of kitten craziness.

He was a street kitten that jumped into my wife's arms when we walked out of a bar an hour from home one night while we were out with friends. She suckered me into bringing him home & darned if he ain't decided I'm his person. Big, affectionate goofball & a heck of a mouser, averaging 2-3 mice or moles per month.

3 members like this: SetterGuy, FishinRod, 4CornersPuddle
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Rod, Got a laugh out of the blow dry a cat saying.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
The pond is so low, I cut down all the cattails with long bladed loppers, then mowed the stubs off with a walk behind brush cutter, mangling them. Hauled away the big pile of long leaves. Lots of potential debris was kept out of the pond. We are still in a drought.

Augie, glad you’re feeling better. We have been lucky with the Covid. Have dodged it so far. Probably helps that we are natural hermits.

I got to spend some time in a ladder stand with my grandson. Five hours of nonstop conversation. I must have said, “let’s try to whisper” about 100 times. Lol. I ended up taking a big doe that evening. Came out behind us on my left. No shot for the little guy. Just about time shooting hours ended. He helped me drag her in. He’s just not strong enough to hold that rifle steady. If it’s not out front where he can rest his rifle on a shooting rail, he just has to wait. [Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
3 members like this: Augie, gehajake, FishinRod
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Watching you take a deer might actually give him more confidence and calmness when he gets a chance to take his own shot! Perhaps better than him taking a shot and missing.

Good luck on the next outing!

1 member likes this: SetterGuy
Page 153 of 183 1 2 151 152 153 154 155 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails