Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,059
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
19 members (FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, bstone261, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 694 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 146 of 183 1 2 144 145 146 147 148 182 183
S
S
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
I'm only 2 hours from Moab. You may be driving within 3 miles of our home, if you come over on US 160 through Durango and then Colorado 184 from Mancos up to US 491 out west of Dolores.
Give a shout; I'll give you directions.
You could even bring some of those HSB youngsters. Haha.
Roger
Thanks for the invite! Have not decided the route to take yet. Not sure about where the best route is to go over mountains with 22' trailer in tow. Debating on going out of the way north and just use I70 or a more direct route. Coming back from there in a car we used hwy 50 in Colorado to 400 in Kansas. Any suggestions?

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
I dive in our pond occasionally to clean off the aeration diffusers. It is no fun, LOL.

Green murk so you can't see past your elbow in the first few feet down, then totally black when on the bottom.
Originally Posted by gehajake
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
I'm only 2 hours from Moab. You may be driving within 3 miles of our home, if you come over on US 160 through Durango and then Colorado 184 from Mancos up to US 491 out west of Dolores.
Give a shout; I'll give you directions.
You could even bring some of those HSB youngsters. Haha.
Roger

You might even convince him to go scuba diving in your pond, do a survey of what you have in there.
Love to scuba dive but hadnt done it in a while, did some commercial diving back in the day, worked for a company out of Lafayette LA doing underwater construction and welding on offshore platforms after hurricane Andrew tore a bunch of them up in 93 I believe it was.

I dive in our pond occasionally to clean off the aeration diffusers. It is no fun, LOL.

Green murk so you can't see past your elbow in the first few feet down, then totally black when on the bottom.

Your commercial diving sounds like an interesting occupation.......for a young guy!

John

S
S
Originally Posted by SetterGuy
Snrub,
I’m with you on retirement, four wheeling, and dual sport motorcycles. A buddy and I just completed the Idaho and Wyoming BDRs. The plan is to pack in as much fun as we can,, until we can’t.

I am at the farm. The battle with pond scum continues. Bought a big skimming net, but no wind has the slime spread out. Hoping for wind.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I am impressed! I've been watching a bunch of Youtube videos on the various BDR's. Looks like fun but I'm afraid I'm a bit past my prime for doing such things. I would have to bypass most of the technical sections and I'm just way too inclined to a nice bed at night to camp. But I sure like the idea of doing one, or at least parts of one.

John

Originally Posted by snrub
[quote=SetterGuy]

I am impressed! I've been watching a bunch of Youtube videos on the various BDR's. Looks like fun but I'm afraid I'm a bit past my prime for doing such things. I would have to bypass most of the technical sections and I'm just way too inclined to a nice bed at night to camp. But I sure like the idea of doing one, or at least parts of one.

The Idaho BDR (Backcountry Discovery Route) is rated the second easiest of the 11. The only other one I may try is the Mid Atlantic.
The Idaho one pushed me to my limits. 1400 miles.
Very fun though, and incredibly beautiful. There are lodges along the way, if you don’t want to haul camping gear.
It’s just a lot more fun on two wheels!

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Made progress on cleaning up the back of the dam.
Before:
After:
From the other side:

The middle has had the trees cut down, but not mowed. Too steep for me. Looks like weed eater territory.

Sycamores had taken over. Some were 8” diameter at the base. They grow fast, as the dam is only 8 yrs old. Lots of briars and poison ivy thrown in for good measure. I’m not going to let it get out of control again. The pics don’t show the actual slope very well.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
1 member likes this: RAH
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Good work, SG!

Looks like a nice place for deer to transit now that you have cleaned it up.

Do you own a brushcutter? I have a Husqvarna 345FR just for situations like that. You clip it into a harness so the weight is on your hips, rather than your shoulders and back.

In addition to working on slopes, I use it for small cedars. I used to have to cut several branches before I could reach the cedar trunks with my chainsaw. Now I can just walk in with the brushcutter and get most of them with one swipe.

Originally Posted by FishinRod
Good work, SG!

Looks like a nice place for deer to transit now that you have cleaned it up.

Do you own a brushcutter? I have a Husqvarna 345FR just for situations like that. You clip it into a harness so the weight is on your hips, rather than your shoulders and back.

In addition to working on slopes, I use it for small cedars. I used to have to cut several branches before I could reach the cedar trunks with my chainsaw. Now I can just walk in with the brushcutter and get most of them with one swipe.

Sounds like the right tool for this job. I’ll have to look around for a used one. I have the blade attachment for my weed eater. It’s a heavy duty one with the straight shaft. I haven’t tried it on Russian Olives though. The section I still have to clear isn’t that big, but I sure wish I could just back the tractor with the brush hog on it, down that slope. Just too steep for me. I figure I’ll get down there, and won’t be able to get back up. Another rescue job that will entertain my neighbors for years.

Otter attack in 2023
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
I would try the blade attachment on your weed eater.

See what size of olive trees you can safely clear without ruining your machine.

Do you ever perform prescribed burns on your property? That is another good way to get rid of small trees, especially up slopes. If you can get rid of the small trees and establish some grass, that may burn hot enough to kill some of the bigger trees?

I think this might be a tricky place to burn. Not sure though. The back of the dam was all nice fescue eight years ago. If I would have stayed on top of it, it would still be in fescue. The trees shaded out the fescue. I’ll have to get it going again. It’s just near the base of the dam that the fescue died off.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 08/31/22 09:20 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Don't burn if it is not easy to make your fire breaks!

I agree with the lament of "staying on top of it". I am amazed at how quickly little problems at our property can turn into big problems!

Maybe Al (FireIsHot) can loan you a few goats. grin

1 member likes this: SetterGuy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Not sure that I can let this one walk...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

4 members like this: FishinRod, Pat Williamson, SetterGuy, esshup

I agree with the lament of "staying on top of it". I am amazed at how quickly little problems at our property can turn into big problems!

If I knew 20 years ago what I know now, I'd never own a weed eater. When weather permits, we take the goats on a daily walk to the areas that need grooming. Right now, they're eating the crab grass and bahia grass out of the hay meadows. Goats are extremely trainable if you keep a pocket with acorns or pecan halves handy. They can also be a royal PITA.

AL

2 members like this: FishinRod, SetterGuy
P
P
Love the split brow Rah

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 09/02/22 05:04 PM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
This guy looks interesting too!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

RAH,
You’ve got some nice bucks running around over there. I need to get some cameras out.

Otter attack in 2023
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It has been a long time coming, but it's a labor of love (and helps fill the freezer).

1 member likes this: FishinRod
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by RAH
It has been a long time coming, but it's a labor of love (and helps fill the freezer).

If you are ever stuck at your computer on a rainy day, I would love to read a detailed post about your long-term improvements at your property to improve your deer habitat and your deer herd management! (I have read snippets in some of the deer threads.)

What went right AND what went wrong would probably be very enlightening. I know some things would be specific to your particular area, but if you stated the reasons why it worked, then the rest of us could probably apply the appropriate tweaks to fit our different conditions.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
No real magic: food, water, cover, and harvesting lots of does. I also have multiple areas of thick cover that we never go into unless tracking a wounded deer or controlling unwanted woody invasives (off season). I hunt the edges only. I have really just tried to favor all wildlife and mostly stick with native plants. There are some more specifics at a FB group page that my daughter set up for me: https://www.facebook.com/groups/442011656723370/ Its pretty rinky-dink though. If you are ever traveling through the Indianapolis area (out of deer season), I would enjoy giving you a tour!

1 member likes this: FishinRod
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by FireIsHot

If I knew 20 years ago what I know now, I'd never own a weed eater. When weather permits, we take the goats on a daily walk to the areas that need grooming. Right now, they're eating the crab grass and bahia grass out of the hay meadows. Goats are extremely trainable if you keep a pocket with acorns or pecan halves handy. They can also be a royal PITA.

So, I'm guessing you have a weed eater for sale cheap?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O.K, this wasn't "my" pond, but a customers. This also was yesterday, not today. His pond is stocked with Hybrid Bluegill and some Regular Bluegills, along with other fish. The banks are very steep 3:1 or steeper once you are in the water and he's having a heck of a time getting underwater weeds established in his pond, either due to turtles or crayfish.

SO, he had us get some Lily plants and some American Pondweed and he made some cages from PVC and hardware cloth to cover the plants so the craws/turtles couldn't eat them.

I was in the pond swimming and planting the plants when one of his bluegills latched on to a part of my skin and tried to rip it off. DANG that hurt!! It felt like it was about a 10" fish, and it seemed to grab and twist like a gator rolls when trying to rip off a piece of something to eat. I wasn't bleeding, but DANG that fish had TEETH and it sure hurt!!!!!

EWEST, where is that picture of the RES with red eyes and blood dripping from it's teeth? I had visions of that being the thing that grabbed me, except a BG/HBG and not a RES.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
esshup - My bluegill could use more food as well if you want to take a swim in my pond:) Have you done an analysis to see how nutritious you are? BTW, my son had blood drawn on his nipple and thought it was funny. Never deterred him from swimming.

Last edited by RAH; 09/03/22 03:41 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by RAH
esshup - My bluegill could use more food as well if you want to take a swim in my pond:) Have you done an analysis to see how nutritious you are? BTW, my son had blood drawn on his nipple and thought it was funny. Never deterred him from swimming.

This guy is feeding them plenty of Optimal too!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Was at the pond today reviewing the scum situation. (It’s as strong as ever). I saw a critter swimming across the other side. Looked like an otter. Swimming along the bank it would dive down and come back up, shake its head, and it would have a fish in its mouth. I just never thought I’d get an otter here. Maybe a muskrat.
I watched it catch and crunch on four or five fish. Got to thinking, this isn’t going to work. I think he’s gone for good. Hopefully. Here’s the tracks where he came in. Can anyone tell if it’s an otter or a muskrat? [Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Otter attack in 2023
When I bought some HBG I asked the seller if they would bite swimmers. He said he’d never heard of them biting anyone. Haha! I used to have to wear a shirt to swim. We eliminated as many as we could catch. I can swim without a shirt now, but every now and then I’ll hear a scream.. I don’t think the RES attack like the HBG.

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Muskrats don't eat fish.............. Unfortunately, Otters target the slowest moving fish in the pond first, they are the easiest to catch, and most times they are the biggest fish. Better do what you can to get it out of your pond and persuade it from ever coming back.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 146 of 183 1 2 144 145 146 147 148 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:04 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy