Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 126 of 183 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 182 183
Got tired of seeing a mud hole in my backyard, so I took 4 pounds of aluminum sulfate that I bought from Amazon, and did a water treatment to see if it would work. This was the crystalized form, intended for soil treatment and apparently for changing the color of hydrangeas and azaleas, which was new to me. I took a 5-gallon bucket and added about a third of the bag into some water, and stirred it to dissolve the crystals and made a slurry. I waded out into the water (about 3 ft deep now), slung the slurry around the pond and used a shovel to stir it and move the water around. I did this 3 times, using the entire bag. It didn't seem like I used enough, but man, when I checked the water this morning, for the first time ever, I can see all the way to the bottom! I'm not sure if this will affect future rain events, but I assume it will keep on muddying up after each rain, but I just had to see it for myself. Really happy with the results.

Last edited by Steve_; 09/13/21 07:29 PM.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Good job.

Isn't it great to observe the "magic" of chemistry!

1 member likes this: Steve_
R
R
Sadie (the dog) was pissed the fish r eating her food. Looks like a baby jaws coming up. The lil fishy got lucky it wasnt them tht got ate. If you look close theres a lil fish right under the one breaching the water. Sadie jumped on top of them right after this picture lol.
[Linked Image]

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Our oldest German shepherd acts rabid when I feed the fish and also jumps in. He tries to eat all the fish food before the fish can eat it. The BG just feed around him. Folks get frightened seeing him growl and froth at the mouth before jumping off the dock into the water. Its like Jekyll and Hyde.

3 members like this: gehajake, anthropic, RStringer
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hopefully any trespassers are watching that from the bushes and have 2nd thoughts.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: RAH
P
P
Originally Posted by RStringer
Sadie (the dog) was pissed the fish r eating her food. Looks like a baby jaws coming up. The lil fishy got lucky it wasnt them tht got ate. If you look close theres a lil fish right under the one breaching the water. Sadie jumped on top of them right after this picture lol.
[Linked Image]

Rusto what kind of dog is Sadie? Black mouth cur?

R
R
As far as we know a full lab. She loves the water thts for sure.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
He is one on 5 German shepherds that we have. We sleep well at night...

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Decided it was finally time to start identifying the minnow species in our creek. It has been pretty dry lately, so the the creek is running about an 1" deep except for the pools (2-3' deep).

Threw the minnow trap into one of the pools and then watched all of the fish behaviors, instead of going back to work.

I did have a good school of minnows in the pool, but they were not interested in my bait (dry cat food). However, the school of 3" long minnows was constantly stalked by 4" long LMB. I never saw the bass hit the minnows, but I could almost see the little cartoon thought bubbles over the heads of the bass, "You just wait, one of these days I am going to be big enough to eat you!"

There were no large bass in that pool. Instead, the top predators were GSF. They were all sizes, but the largest were maybe 1/2#. They immediately hit any grasshoppers, leaf bits, etc. that get knocked into the water as I walk up to the pools.

I thought the behavior of these GSF was very interesting. This creek pool essentially has zero structure. When things calmed down after setting the minnow trap, the GSF seemed to take up station around the trap, a foot or two away.

I am used to seeing LMB hide in sparse cover, ready to spring out from ambush on any prey that happens by. It looked to me like the GSF had the opposite strategy, they took position OUTSIDE of the cover, waiting to ambush any prey that emerged FROM the cover.

(There were no minnows around the trap when the GSF had set up on their stations.)

P.S. I came back to the pool after a few hours of work and caught zero minnows. I think I chose poorly with my bait. My previous effort with bread caught only small GSF.

Got in our final weekend of swimming and fishing. Grandkids had a blast.. The water has really cooled off. A bit chilly when you first dive in. See from one pic that our water level is down about a foot. We’ve been very dry for the last 6 weeks. Looks like at least two more dry weeks ahead. However, my leak has definitely slowed down some. Soilfloc working and natural sealing taking place. I hope it continues to slow.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
3 members like this: FishinRod, RStringer, anthropic
C
OP Offline
C
Lots of beautiful things happening in those pictures SetterGuy!! Kids and adults enjoying nature and learning while being outside together. Beautiful weather, beautiful pond and a very healthy looking SMB

I will say,.. you might call yourself a seasoned PondBoss veteran if you can admit like I must admit that I had a little 'pond envy' when I saw the beautiful thing showing up in the bottom left corner of your SMB picture.

I bet your YP and SMB will fatten up this fall and you will have a great YP spawn next spring with all the forage you have. I assume you don't have a bumper crop of bullfrogs or tadpoles anymore with the larger YP and SMB in there?

Last edited by canyoncreek; 09/21/21 12:12 PM.
1 member likes this: SetterGuy
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
I saw the beautiful thing showing up in the bottom left corner of your SMB picture.

I bet your YP and SMB will fatten up this fall and you will have a great YP spawn next spring with all the forage you have. I assume you don't have a bumper crop of bullfrogs or tadpoles anymore with the larger YP and SMB in there?

Thanks for the kind words CC. The APW is no longer spreading. I’m hoping it can hold its own, and stay around. Every patch and there must be 8 or 9 patches, has many frogs just sitting in the leaves. I’m expecting we will have even more BF tadpoles. I don’t know if the YP and SMB hit the frogs like LMB do. I don’t see very much surface activity on the pond, unless the feeder is going off.
We’ve had a late hatch of something. Either HBG or GSH. There are thousands of fry all over. I’m hoping the HSB I added last fall, will thin out whatever this hatch is. Once I shut off the feeder. I don’t feed very heavy anyway.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Great pics, SetterGuy!

I especially like the little person in the kayak by himself trying to catch a fish.

P.S. Does anyone on Pond Boss know a single person that stayed out fishing after everyone else went back in - that grew up to be a pessimist?

A
Online Content
A
Staying out in storms is perfectly rational when the fish are biting. I don't care what anybody says!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by anthropic
Staying out in storms is perfectly rational when the fish are biting. I don't care what anybody says!

I have experienced the fish biting in nearly a frenzy as a storm was approaching - on multiple occasions.

Wiser people than myself have advised that we should get off of the water. I have compromised by counting the seconds between the flash of the lightning and the sound of the thunder. I proposed one mile, but have been overruled to beach the boat when the lighting got closer than two miles.

I am still alive today to type on Pond Boss, thanks to some good buddies!

OTOH, it is terribly entertaining to have a bass hit your lure on EVERY SINGLE CAST!

R
R
My water is kinda murky so I dont get to see much. This is the first time seeing guessin ½ pound bass swimming.
[Linked Image]

B
B
Originally Posted by RStringer
My water is kinda murky so I dont get to see much. This is the first time seeing guessin ½ pound bass swimming.
[Linked Image]
Rusto, do you think those are from this year's spawn?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by anthropic

I have experienced the fish biting in nearly a frenzy as a storm was approaching - on multiple occasions.

Wiser people than myself have advised that we should get off of the water. I have compromised by counting the seconds between the flash of the lightning and the sound of the thunder. I proposed one mile, but have been overruled to beach the boat when the lighting got closer than two miles.

I am still alive today to type on Pond Boss, thanks to some good buddies!

OTOH, it is terribly entertaining to have a bass hit your lure on EVERY SINGLE CAST!

Actually if you can hear thunder, it's time to get off the water NOW.

I was driving through Indianapolis on my way to deliver fish, sitting in the turn lane to turn left. Sunny sky, dark clouds in front of me, no rain. Not 1/2 mile ahead a bolt of lightening came down and struck a light pole. No rain, no thunder except for that bolt. There was a lady driving one of those Can-Am Rykers to my right that was going straight ahead. She beeped her horn and asked if she could cut in infront of me. Sure!! Her eyes were pretty big when she looked at me and beeped the horn.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
R
To be honest bobbss I have no clue. Iv had several friends put in some nice LMB over the years. Iv never bought any sticker bass. So I really have no clue on how fast they grow. My place I think is lacking on forage. I have some brush and sunkin barrels. Not nearly enough. But we swim in play in it alot. The family dont want a whole lot of stuff in it me included. Sorry for the rumbling lol. Where I'm getting at is mine prolly r on the low scale of WR'S. Never weighed or measured but I'm sure they r sounded.

B
B
Rusto, how long do you think they were? I haven't seen a lot of this year's spawn, the longest one was probably pushing 7".

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
R
R
I really dont know. It's hard to tell but I'm gunna guess 7-8 inches. Also they could be like ¼ pounders also.

B
B
Thanks Rusto, I was just curious how mine compared. I would think yours are from this year and doing pretty good.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
R
R
I'm curious also.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I called Nate Herman to shock a customers pond yesterday. The wind was brutal. Here's one of the bass. Pardon the fat finger.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Scott,
I know little or nothing about shocking a pond. What’s the objective? Obviously to see fish, but will it give a total estimate of fish numbers? Can check health of fish? I’m assuming you check more than one spot? How many checks on a 1ac pond? How long does it take? Cost? I’m curious how many YP I actually have, as we just don’t catch that many, and my ribbons seem to be fewer and fewer every year. Could I just pick up all the HBG and not return them? Would it even put a dent in them? Just a few questions. Haha!
Thanks
Jeff

Otter attack in 2023
Page 126 of 183 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??