Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 107 of 183 1 2 105 106 107 108 109 182 183
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't believe most things that I only read in one place. Wikipediae was just a convenient link to post.

https://law.tulane.edu/news/tulane-...warns-greater-threat-grid-climate-change

"Early critics pointed to the state’s lack of preparation, built around its energy-only markets, with a majority of the state having no interconnections to neighboring grids. The crisis – considered the worst since the Northeast Power Outage of 2003 – was compounded by failure to weatherize power plant infrastructure, in particular natural gas, which represents almost 50 percent of installed capacity in Texas."

Last edited by RAH; 03/17/21 04:44 AM. Reason: added link and quote
T
T
Rah, Our past Governor Perry who was also Sec of Energy said that the solar and wind power systems in Texas only produced 40% of what they were supposed to do and that was before the storm. And just for comparison, it is said here don't use windmills for pond aeration because they are not dependable. A windmill is a windmill. And we all know solar panels do not work when it is cloudy. Seems like we went most of that month never seeing the sun. They have been shutting down the coal/natural gas power plants this past year here in Texas, even though they met all requirements for EPA. They changed to these windmills/solar systems because of the high prices of Natural gas at the time they were installed. But thanks to horizontal drilling and using fracking in these wells we are now the world's largest supplier of really cheap natural gas. If we have another Freeze storm and lose power next year like the one this year Heads will roll here in Texas.

The CNBG came from Todd. And I did not lose all my cnbg just the ones that were over 6". After losing my large lmb and hsb last July and now my large cnbg, it looks like I am starting over this year at the pond. Been a bad past 12 months.

Last edited by TGW1; 03/17/21 06:19 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sorry about your fish losses. I have had one major and one minor fish kill in my 20-year old pond, both due to prolonged snow over ice. In one case, all my CC died, but LMB and BG populations came back. While I have not seen any dead fish yet this year, we had snow over ice for a long time.

I am no expert on energy production, but I did look into the Texas electric outage. It appears that gas wells froze up as did windmills due to lack of winterizing protection that is typically not needed in Texas. Isolation from the national grid, to avoid federal oversight, made compensating for the crippled local grid nearly impossible. Local officials and politicians made their decisions and then folks were forced to live with them (except for politicians that took their families on vacation to the Caribbean!). Energy experts had warned that this was inevitable. As a scientist, it always amazes me how common it is to "cherry pick" information that aligns with one's ideology, and discard information that does not (information bias). We also seem to avoid paying for upgrades to our infrastructure until it collapses, like buying homeowner's insurance after the house burns down.

Best wishes in repopulating your pond!

1 member likes this: RStringer
T
T
That is true when it comes to the way we all lean towards our ideology and that is on both sides of the court. Rah, Natural gas does not freeze up in supply pipelines or at gas wells. If it does I have never seen it in my 45 yrs of experience in the industry. I love how you added that a republican took a vacation that just happened to be before the storm hit. There is that ideology that you speak of. OH! buy the way I am not a republican. A leaning Libertarian is more likely. smile

Tracy
1 member likes this: RStringer
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
"Natural gas wells and pipes ill-equipped for cold weather are a big reason why millions of Texans lost power during frigid temperatures this week. As temperatures dropped to record lows across some parts of the state, liquid inside wells, pipes, and valves froze solid."

"Ice can block gas flow, clogging pipes. It’s a phenomenon called a “freeze-off” that disrupts gas production across the US every winter. But freeze-offs can have outsized effects in Texas, as we’ve seen this week. The state is a huge natural gas producer — and it doesn’t usually have to deal with such cold weather."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/17/22287130/texas-natural-gas-production-power-outages-frozen

"Ted Cruz told reporters on Thursday that his decision to fly to Cancun with his family amid widespread power outages in Texas was “obviously a mistake.”"

https://deadline.com/2021/02/ted-cruz-travels-to-cancun-amid-power-outage-1234696334/

Personally, I want the republican party to rid itself of Trump so I have choices in the next election. I am an independent, but like most on this sight, I find that government oversight of my property to be overreach. Particularly, permit requirements imposed by local officials resulted in me building a barn rather than a pond designed by the NRCS. The pond/wetland would have captured 80 acres of runoff from a neighbors farm field, including a 10" field tile. Now there is a great example of regulation protecting the environment!

1 member likes this: jpsdad
J
J
Originally Posted by RAH
"Natural gas wells and pipes ill-equipped for cold weather are a big reason why millions of Texans lost power during frigid temperatures this week. As temperatures dropped to record lows across some parts of the state, liquid inside wells, pipes, and valves froze solid."

"Ice can block gas flow, clogging pipes. It’s a phenomenon called a “freeze-off” that disrupts gas production across the US every winter. But freeze-offs can have outsized effects in Texas, as we’ve seen this week. The state is a huge natural gas producer — and it doesn’t usually have to deal with such cold weather."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/17/22287130/texas-natural-gas-production-power-outages-frozen

"Ted Cruz told reporters on Thursday that his decision to fly to Cancun with his family amid widespread power outages in Texas was “obviously a mistake.”"

https://deadline.com/2021/02/ted-cruz-travels-to-cancun-amid-power-outage-1234696334/

Personally, I want the republican party to rid itself of Trump so I have choices in the next election. I am an independent, but like most on this sight, I find that government oversight of my property to be overreach. Particularly, permit requirements imposed by local officials resulted in me building a barn rather than a pond designed by the NRCS. The pond/wetland would have captured 80 acres of runoff from a neighbors farm field, including a 10" field tile. Now there is a great example of regulation protecting the environment!

I'd like different choices myself next election. And yes I am really a libertarian in republican clothing, a RINO I suppose. Anyways, my faith in democracy has be tested these past 4 years, especially in the final months.

Last edited by jpsdad; 03/17/21 08:29 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It is a pleasure having a civil discussion with you. Most folks that I talk to on both sides are in a rage. I just hope that we can find some common ground in our country.

Looking forward to the warmer weather coming. Just received 200 trees from the DNR and need to get planting. Substantial rain begins this evening. Still need to get a replaced yard hydrant completely covered back up as well. The old one only lasted 30 years, but it was not new when I put it in... The new one will probably outlive me. Have another one leaking from the faucet seals when running. My attempts to replace just the faucet on 2 previously leaking faucets failed. This last one actually had a pin hole in the vertical pipe underground and the inside was so corroded, the plunger would not move. The burry depth seem deeper than I remember. Must be the new metric system:)

Politics have nothing to do with "What did you do at your pond today?".

It's time to move on.

AL

2 members like this: jpsdad, RAH
J
J
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
Politics have nothing to do with "What did you do at your pond today?".

It's time to move on.

Sorry, but I couldn't let his comment stand alone. Of all places, especially here.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

T
T
I laugh guys because my pond sucks right now and I have not been able till now to do much about it. So conversations drifted. I think we are all friends or have things in common and I am betting we all would be better friends if we were to meet up no matter what our politics are.

Tracy
J
J
Tracy, Most all the time I am very detached from politics. In election years, I barely watch TV but research candidates and watch debates. The only presidential election I have failed to vote was 2016. I just couldn't find inspiration but would have voted in the general election for any of the most prominent republicans who lost the nomination to Trump.

Just to be sure you understand, the reason I posted was to support RAHs desire to see my party take a different direction from Trump. It was the first such comment I have read here where there was a lot support for the former president last fall before the election in this very thread. I think it took a bit of nerve for RAH to say what he did, I just didn't want him to be alone in taking that stand.

Last edited by jpsdad; 03/17/21 11:25 AM.

2 members like this: RStringer, RAH
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I turned the feeders back on today after hand feeding for the last week, and I'm happy to say that our CNBG and HSB were eating like Sunil at a Golden Corral.

After all the ice melted, and the water warmed up a bit, I started driving around the pond making daily checks for morts. So far, only one 10" LMB has floated to the top, and that was the day after the ice was completely gone.

Getting flamed when you don't know about it is like a tree falling in the forest when nobody's around.....

So, it's not clear if the CNBG and HSB were really feeding strong or not.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
So let me get this straight,

A guy named "FireIsHot" started a flame war with Sunil and managed to get the ice off his ponds early and suffered very low fish mortality?

Sunil, you should probably send him an invoice for pond rehabilitation services. laugh

Last edited by FishinRod; 03/17/21 02:44 PM. Reason: Edited for a typo.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Well, Al/FireIsHot owes me big time for saving him from drowning in a Nebraska lake late one night a few years back. Probably saved him from electrocution also...

Plus, I lose at any kind of buffet.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Rod, I'll just say this about that night. One of the two of us was lucid, and a swiftwater rescue instructor, who is blessed with incredible spidey senses when things are about to go south. A 12' aluminum deck boat with aluminum lawn chairs loaded arm rest to arm rest, and rocking if anybody already on the boat took a small breath, activated those super powers. It was time to scat.

AL

Originally Posted by Sunil
I turned the feeders back on today after hand feeding for the last week, and I'm happy to say that our CNBG and HSB were eating like Sunil at a Golden Corral.

After all the ice melted, and the water warmed up a bit, I started driving around the pond making daily checks for morts. So far, only one 10" LMB has floated to the top, and that was the day after the ice was completely gone.

Getting flamed when you don't know about it is like a tree falling in the forest when nobody's around.....

So, it's not clear if the CNBG and HSB were really feeding strong or not.
I can't believe it took you 2 weeks to find that.

AL

A
A
Originally Posted by RAH
I don't believe most things that I only read in one place. Wikipediae was just a convenient link to post.

https://law.tulane.edu/news/tulane-...warns-greater-threat-grid-climate-change

"Early critics pointed to the state’s lack of preparation, built around its energy-only markets, with a majority of the state having no interconnections to neighboring grids. The crisis – considered the worst since the Northeast Power Outage of 2003 – was compounded by failure to weatherize power plant infrastructure, in particular natural gas, which represents almost 50 percent of installed capacity in Texas."

Everywhere that intermittent sources of energy become large, costs rise & reliability declines. True in the UK, Germany, California, and now Texas. Also bad for the environment, as solar or wind turbines take hundreds of times more land for the same energy as a nuclear or fossil fuel plant. In California, this has led to wildfires since land near cities is expensive, so renewables must be located far away & the lines go through forests.

I strongly suspect part of the reason why the Texas grid wasn't weatherized properly against the Big Chill was that the climate experts told ERCOT that anthropogenic global warming meant milder winter temps. Why waste money preparing for something that won't ever happen?

That's it for me on the subject. Can we get back to ponds now? I'm really excited that my CNBG survived even in the forage pond!

Last edited by anthropic; 03/17/21 03:43 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
So let me get this straight,

There are actually TWO sides of the story to these tales of derring-do?

I might be worried if I were you Sunil, a fiery goat with spidey senses and swiftwater rescue skills does not sound like someone you want as an implacable foe.

As regards the buffet, I am a big eater, but I am pretty sure I cannot defeat a goat at the buffet! sick

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
No more politics guys - on any thread , Read Bob’s rules.

1 member likes this: FishinRod
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
A guest caught the pond record black bass today...and of course I was back in the woods on an ATV towards the end of the day when he caught it....so I didn't get to see it in person or weigh it...He caught it from the dam throwing out towards a submerged cedar tree on a pumpkin-seed colored plastic lizard type bait. The guy loves to fish and plays in an AC/DC tribute band....and yes he lost a bet and had to dye his goatee blue.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fishing has never been about the fish....

2 members like this: anthropic, gehajake
B
B
Zep, really nice fish.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
New Tilapitopia (V5) is up and running. We have Tilapia in the water and the feeders are set up. Time to see if we can raise them before it's time to set them free in the ponds.

Ammonia is .25 Nitrite is 0.5 and Nitrate is 0.5ish. The AOB and NOB are getting started! temp is 75ish F degrees.

Airlift is next.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
C
OP Offline
C
So nice to feel the warm sun today. Going to see 60s for the next day or two

Pond water table continues to go down. The YP were glad to see the branches show up in the pond and draped their eggs over several of them. I also see several egg strands in the deeper water around some pallets. I'm going to keep almost all the strands in this year and see if we can actually get a good crop of youngster YP

My Optimal food came this week! Thanks to the crew who gets those orders shipped out right on time. I believe they used Fedex which seems to still be able to get things done on time. USPS is hopeless, UPS always a day or two late, and Amazon is doing the bait and switch lately. The ad says arrives in 2 days. You put it in your cart and suddenly the delivery changes to 3 days. Then you buy, they wait 2 days to finally get it shipped and then they move the expected date one more day out. I'm ready to cancel Prime membership. I never get 2 day shipping anymore so what am I paying for? (they say it is extreme weather or COVID or computer error, or driver error or this or that... I suspect it is lack of people willing to go to work anymore...)

I buy the Optimal BG and the BG Jr. sizes and mix them 50/50. I thought the 'length' of the pellet was smaller in the BG Jr. size, but to my eye it appears that the diameter is just a tad smaller on the extruder for the BG Jr. size. I see a variety of longer and shorter pellets in each bag. The point of mixing was to get more of the smaller pellets mixed in with the larger ones for a variety of gape sizes. If the bag already do that (blend size lengths) then I guess the smaller diameter of the BG Jr also helps.

I'm amazed how my spotfin shiners are immediately at the surface eating today. They didn't lose a speck of their pellet training and knew right where I would be to throw the first handful of the season. The water is exceptionally clear right now and they seemed unafraid to come into the clear shallows to chase the food. I'm really impressed at some of the size of the adults. Judging from the bank I would say I have some 5" adults. I'm not sure how big they can get but we have to be getting close to their top size. Looking forward to trying to dream up some new crevice spawning devices and would really like to focus on reproduction this year. I'd love to help others get these critters in their ponds. They are fun to watch and seem to be good survivors, at least in the chemistry of my specific water hole.

Has anyone ever experimented with taking live minnows/shiners, putting them in a water bath that has had 100% oxygen bubbled into it for a while to saturate the water, then slowly freeze the water and minnows and bubbles into a solid block of ice? Would they survive when thawed? Would this be a way to extend their life when shipping further distances in warmer weather conditions? If they could go into a hibernation mode then as the ice slowly melted they would slowly warm up, there hopefully would be plenty of dissolved oxygen, and their metabolism and oxygen needs at low temps would also be low. They may not hurt themselves by swimming around frantically in a bag everytime the box jostles in the truck or airplane too.

Crazy mind, crazy ideas sometimes...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
CC, The Optimal BG is 3/16" dia with different lengths and is 40/10 protein/lipid. The Opimal BG Jr. is 1/8" dia different lengths and is 42/10 protein/lipid.

I'd have to dig back through my notes to give you the lengths and the approximate % of each length in each bag. That was figured out a number of years ago.

Zep, that is a great LMB!! Congrats!

Last edited by esshup; 03/20/21 11:39 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Has anyone ever experimented with taking live minnows/shiners, putting them in a water bath that has had 100% oxygen bubbled into it for a while to saturate the water, then slowly freeze the water and minnows and bubbles into a solid block of ice? Would they survive when thawed?

I've never done that but will relate a couple of stories, one second hand the other a direct observation that may interest you.

My brother-in-law once kept gold fish over a period of 10 years or so in a plastic barrel used as a water trough. In a prolonged cold spell the water would freeze being as it was exposed over much of the surface of the container to the elements. In northern OK a prolonged spell would be say a week or a bit longer of sub-freezing temperatures. He claimed the water would freeze around the gold fish which he did not observe to move. His hypothesis was that if they were in open water under ice, they would be moving around. He didn't observe them to move and if one were accept the hypothesis one might agree that he observed them encased within ice. The gold fish survived the cold spells but I will let each decide if they were frozen.

In Junior High, we had a science show come to present in our auditorium. The presenter was demonstrating liquid nitro. He took a rose and shattered it and then he froze a live goldfish stiff as a board and dropped back into its bowl where it promptly sank to bottom motionless. He continued his presentation but after a while the goldfish was swimming about. He explained the goldfish by saying that he had frozen it externally but that inside it wasn't frozen. Thawing, allowed it move again but that the external freezing was not lethal.

Some things have be proven to withstand freezing being adapted for it. Two that come to mind are a cricket in New Zealand and the wood frop of the northern boreal forests of North America.

Page 107 of 183 1 2 105 106 107 108 109 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!