Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (FishinRod, Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup), 1,006 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hi,
I feel many here probably can share some good knowledge/experience with me. We moved to a new place where we have well/septic rather than city water. I'm told we need to pump our septic tanks every 3 years. My covers are the nifty new plastic ones that are right at ground level. I also have a removable filter at the outflow of the 2nd tank going towards my drain field so twice a year I've been checking the filter and also eyeballing the 2nd tank. This spring (3rd spring we lived there) I opened both. The first tank is probably going to need pumping, mostly solids at top, pretty thick as you puncture through that top skin layer, a little more loose below but pretty much anaerobic throughout. The second tank has only liquids in it.

So I'm going to have both pumped, but my question is, how do you improve the breakdown of the septic or don't worry about it and just pump every 3 years.

I keep finding myself trying to aerate the septic tanks to boost bacteria action and then I know I've spent way too many hours reading links on the PB forum. I thought maybe I should just take a long rod and agitate/stir up the first solids tank 3-4 times a year since access is 4 screws and pop the cover off?

I know they make anaerobic bacteria for ponds, is that what I should dump in there once they pump it?

It seems like the bacteria makeup of the septic contents matters a great deal as I've heard to certain families where they NEVER pumped their septic tanks in 25-30 years and never had a build up or problem. How do I get some of what they are eating!!??!!

I know you can buy bacteria to flush down the toilet but it seems we need a little science and not just buy and flush any old bacteria in there.

Once the tanks are empty I'm sure it isn't a great time to get bacteria started as you only have a empty tank with a little liquid in it at that time.

Sorry if this is WAY too off topic smile

CC,

I think my parents pumped their old system once in about 30 years but I think the new systems are designed differently. Sounds like my setup is similar to yours. My septic guy said 4 years between pump outs. I think a lot depends on the size of your tanks and number of people in the house. The filter between the tanks could turn into a real PITA if you forget to clean it. It will block the flow to the second tank/field and the liquid from the top of the solids tank will overflow out the green plastic filter chamber. (Don't ask me how I know that! frown ) The tank additives I've seen are pretty pricey IMO to use every month. My septic guy said that flushing toilet bowl cleaner kills the bacteria/yeast you add in a while anyway. (Imagine that. Anti-bacterial bowl cleaner killing bacteria! smile ) My advice, pump the solids tank every few years. The other tank probably won't need it near that often.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/27/16 06:32 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Stinky subject wink

Up in Fremont with a well built septic system, that you have to dig a bit to even find the access cover to the septic tanks, no pumping needed in 16 years so far.

At the shop, system had a grease trap, and the MDEQ dropped in a stab well right behind the drain field to monitor ground water quality. That was a yearly expense for pumping and testing, but the place use to service vehicles and even if they only washed them, needed the extra stuff.

Working at a wastewater facility the past few days sick

C
OP Offline
C
Bill D,
I'm so curious as to how some people don't have to pump for 15-20 years!

My filter is not between tank 1 and 2 but between tank 2 and the pipe that goes to the sand/drain field. It is there so if the solids in tank 1 overflow and then fill tank 2 that they don't go and plug up the drain field. So far no issues and only liquid in tank #2. The pumping people around here quote about $350 to pump both tanks and they say that I can ask them not to pump tank 2 but their usual policy is since they are there, pump both.

My drain field is oversized on purpose since we had the room and hopefully it will last. There isn't a great option 2 on the property for a back up drainfield. The specs for our house called for a 2000 gallon main tank and a 1500 gallon secondary tank, we went with 2 2000 gallon tanks.

I'm eager to hear if others felt adding bacteria, or stirring the contents to add air or something similar was the key to better performance and less pumping opportunities.

Yep, sounds like your system is a little different than mine. I have a pump in the basement to pump up to tank 1 then the filter then tank 2 and another pump to get the sewage to the engineered field. The filter plugs up pretty quick with floating goodies like hair....Hey, you started this thread.....bottom line is the guck in the filter is disgusting! sick

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One reason that people didn't pump for a long time is that they (ALL members of the family, even the kids) thought about what went down the drain.

Grease from cooking didn't go down the drain. There was no such thing as a garbage disposal. Toilet paper was single ply, not double ply. Showers were not long, dishwasher? Yep, either the kids or the mom - not a machine that ran for 1.5 hrs. One side of the sink had soapy water, the other side was for rinsing.

Less going in the system, less needed to come out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
Pumping a septic tank is a lot like changing the oil in your car, its preventative maintenance. Waiting a long interval between pumping is like driving that car and never changing the oil. You can get people claim they've never had to pump their tank, and likewise people that go too long in changing their oil, but eventually there is a price to be paid for not doing preventative maintenance!

As far as bacterial additives go, the human waste and the tank environment will populate bacteria on its own. Adding yeast or bacteria (in the old days - dead chickens!) probably wont hurt a thing (other than your wallet), but it likely isn't going to be a noticeable benefit either.

Bill sounds like he has a grinder pump. That grinder is turning solid and liquid waste into a slurry that's going to have a hard time settling back out. Your filter plugging might be a result of this.

P
P
My dad used to have a septic pumping business when I was a kid. He used to have farmers pay him to dump the effluent out in their fields, I kid you not. They said it was the best fertilizer. Anyhow it is the grease that clogs up the inlet pipe 90% of the time. It floats and plugs. Keep the grease out and you will go many years without having to pump.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday