Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
In this case the State didn't stock the pond. Cecil went out and hunted for the fish on waters he partially owns (forced taxes). I'm sure Cecil paid for a licensee to do so. If you catch a fish on public waters are you to provide anyone who stops by with a fish fry?

Last edited by esshup; 04/27/16 10:26 AM. Reason: no politics

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I contacted the state a couple years ago when I was researching the free fish issue, to see just how many private ponds contained public fish. The program ran for a few years in the seventies. Aside from the state voluntarily restocking some private ponds in the Boggs lake watershed, ( they obtained permission to kill off those ponds first), there were NO takers on the offer.

I

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In reference to the comment about me putting public fish into my private pond and allowing others to fish it to do the walk and not just the talk:

Here are just a few of the people that have fished my ponds. I'd say I've had at least 30 or 40 people have fished my ponds over years. Esshup has on more than one occasion as has Fatih. And Bob-0 and his granddaughter.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/27/16 11:39 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
More people that have fishing my pond. Keep in mind there are many that I have not taken pictures of.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
More people:

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
And more:

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Cecil,

To be on the safe side, once you get all the spawn you need, you should fillet those stockers (no bones please), freeze them and send them to me UPS! grin

Damn good idea! And let them rot for a few days first! Anybody know their CEO's address that makes 6 million a year?

Not sure why the CEO of UPS would care if I got rotten fish? Kinda hurt my fellins man... grin But to follow that thought, send the rotten ones UPS to the CEO of UPS!

Sorry I misunderstood your post. blush

UPS made the mistake of sending me a survey about how they're doing. Oh boy did I let them have it. grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/27/16 11:20 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
That 2nd pic is sure cool !!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
That 2nd pic is sure cool !!!

Yep that's Bob-O and his beautiful granddaughter. Look at those smiles!

I've had lots of smiles from folks that have fished my ponds. Many of have never seen fish like we all here on the website manage in our ponds.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/27/16 09:56 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's is an email to Jed Pearson district II biologist in Indiana.

Jed,

I have to bother you one more time. I have an individual giving me grieve for taking crappies from a public lake and planting them into my pond. He feels since it's illegal in *snip* his state is must be in Indiana.

As far as I know as long as I have a fishing license, stay within an size or bag limit, and the fish don't come from outside of Indiana I am legally free to place them in my pond. Is that correct? Of course I cannot sell them.

Thanks,

Cecil

Response:

Cecil – yes, you are correct.

Is the guy sure that *snip* his state prohibits it? Can he provide a link that says so on *snip* his states DNR site? Is he confusing private ponds versus waters that may contain state-owned fish.

Here is a link I found pertaining to *snip* his state:

Q: Do I need a permit to stock fish in my lake or pond?

A: Yes. In most instances you must have a Public Waters Stocking Permit from the *snip* Department of Natural Resources to stock fish in your lake. A permit is not required if there is only one property owner on the lake AND the lake does not have any connections to any other bodies of water.

Last edited by esshup; 04/27/16 10:39 AM. Reason: political fall out clean up

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yay Indiana!

S
S
Originally Posted By: Turtlemtn
KS had the same deal when my folks lived there: if the State stocked the pond for you, you had to let the public fish.

I believe Kansas still has that but no one uses it because of the public use issue. I think it was my NRCS guy that mentioned that to me. The upside to no one using it is that private commercial fisheries actually have a market for their stocking fish that way. So private enterprise has no tax subsidized competition. I think the for profit fish farms in Kansas have a tough enough go as it is.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: snrub
KS had the same deal when my folks lived there: if the State stocked the pond for you, you had to let the public fish.

I believe Kansas still has that but no one uses it because of the public use issue. I think it was my NRCS guy that mentioned that to me. The upside to no one using it is that private commercial fisheries actually have a market for their stocking fish that way. So private enterprise has no tax subsidized competition. I think the for profit fish farms in Kansas have a tough enough go as it is.

Couldn't agree more Snrub.

Lunker
Lunker
Nebraska will provide LMB and BG for private waters so long as no other fish are present and certain conditions are met. The only stipulation is that state size and bag limits apply, fishing permits are also required.

Nebraska G & P private waters program.

Under the FAQ's:

"No. Anglers are required to obtain permission before fishing."

"Yes. Anglers must observe statewide bag and possession regulations, except when a body of water is entirely on private land, has been entirely privately stocked with private hatchery-reared fish and doesn’t connect by inflow or outflow with other waters outside the pond owner’s property. At their discretion, pond owners may set more restrictive regulations."

"It is important for anglers to remember that it is a privilege to fish private ponds, and they must respect the land they are on and the pond in which they are fishing."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
New York residents can back me up here, or disagree, but that state goes too far IMHO. They have all kinds of restrictions on private ponds including bag and size limits even if there is no inlet or outlet, and the fish did not come from the state. There's something about draining and reclaiming your own private pond too they have control over.

I guess all the state are different. Something that drove us nuts in the aquaculture associations that wanted them to come up with similar regs across the board for health inspections and transporting fish.

B
B

Here are just a few of the people that have fished my ponds. I'd say I've had at least 30 or 40 people have fished my ponds over years. Esshup has on more than one occasion as has Fatih. And Bob-0 and his granddaughter.

I am just happy Bob_O's granddaughter is standing in front of him so we don't have to see the speedos!

C
CJD Offline
C
Man, those trout are just ridiculous

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: snrub

snrub, I don't think States can legally demand a private land owner allow trespassing...it is a common myth that if a state stocks a pond, anyone can fish it. In Missouri, if the state stocks the pond, the pond is considered waters of the state, but no one can trespass to fish in it, You'll also need permission to stock any fish except fathead minnows...The only way to end the state control is if you kill the pond, then it is no longer waters of the state. Missouri did encourage landowners to "allow" fishing.

Doesn't look like KS ever required trespass either, nor does it stock fish in private use waters now....read this....

From at least 1914 until 1990 the Department provided free fish for stocking in private ponds. This program was popular with both landowners and anglers. However, in the 1980’s the Kansas Commercial Fish Growers Association lobbied the Kansas Legislature to stop the agency’s pond stocking program because they viewed it as an infringement on the free enterprise system. In response to their efforts, during the1990 the Legislative session a bill was passed that prevents the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism from stocking ponds with fish unless the fish have been purchased from a private fish grower or the pond is open to public access.

Since that time, the Department’s primary focus has been to provide technical assistance on managing fish populations in ponds and information on where pondowners can purchase fish.

Pondowners not wishing to purchase fish may want to consider enrolling their pond in the Department’s F.I.S.H. Program. This program allows the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism to lease private water from landowners for public fishing. Landowners participating in F.I.S.H. receive payments which vary according to the number of water acres enrolled and may receive fish stockings from the Department’s hatcheries.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/27/16 04:26 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Jed,

I have to bother you one more time. I have an individual giving me grieve for taking crappies from a public lake and planting them into my pond. He feels since it's illegal in *snip* his state is must be in Indiana.

As far as I know as long as I have a fishing license, stay within an size or bag limit, and the fish don't come from outside of Indiana I am legally free to place them in my pond. Is that correct? Of course I cannot sell them.

Thanks,

Cecil

Response:

Is the guy sure that *snip* his state prohibits it? Can he provide a link that says so on *snip* his states DNR site? Is he confusing private ponds versus waters that may contain state-owned fish.

A: Yes. In most instances you must have a Public Waters Stocking Permit from the *snip* Department of Natural Resources to stock fish in your lake. A permit is not required if there is only one property owner on the lake AND the lake does not have any connections to any other bodies of water.

Cecil, you have taken this way out of context of my original post. frown frown frown

S
S
Thanks for that clarification Rainman.

"during the1990 the Legislative session a bill was passed that prevents the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism from stocking ponds with fish unless the fish have been purchased from a private fish grower or the pond is open to public access".

Think I will pass.

Last edited by snrub; 04/27/16 06:23 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Yay Indiana!

Yay Indiana is due to a political lawsuit, which some butt's were kicked and had to drop a bunch of permits and other reg's.

They are working on getting them back, and would like to be as tight as it is up here.

I have a bad habit of calling people in position to find out what the real scoop is.

Should have an answer soon on my original post that was taken out of context.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
No worries. Lived here long enough to know what to worry about, and when to simply smile and nod. I already know what the real scoop is.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

Jed,

Thanks,

Cecil

Response:

Cecil, you have taken this way out of context of my original post. frown frown frown

My apologies then.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Yay Indiana!

Yay Indiana is due to a political lawsuit, which some butt's were kicked and had to drop a bunch of permits and other reg's.

They are working on getting them back, and would like to be as tight as it is up here.

I have a bad habit of calling people in position to find out what the real scoop is.

Should have an answer soon on my original post that was taken out of context.

The thing where it's legal to move fish from public waters to a pond in Indiana as long as you caught them legally with a fishing license, and adhered to the bag limit and size limit has always been the case.

Or am I taking you out of context again?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No worries. Lived here long enough to know what to worry about, and when to simply smile and nod. I already know what the real scoop is.

Same here Tony.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??