Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina
18,519 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,996
Posts558,332
Members18,520
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
6 members (tim k, Dux96, Boondoggle, Ponderific2024, mkey, Bigtrh24), 1,134 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
There is a half acre clay pond at my parents house. We stocked it 10 years ago and have pretty much left it alone since.

We stocked it with BG and Channel cats. Then 2 years later came back with LMB. Pond was good for a few years but after I moved out they stopped feeding. Pond kind of went unchecked.

Now when you feed you see a school of adult BG. No small fish at all, half dozen or so 3/4 lb LM and ZERO catfish. A few years ago we caught channel cats over 10lbs out.

So should I put a cage and re stock with BG and Catfish? I am working on my pond at the same time (will be a bass/BG only pond) so at Dads I really just want BG and Cats for my nephew to catch. Or do I need to kill everything off?

3/4 Acre South Georgia Pond, 1,500 BG/RES; LMB coming soon

Father, forgive them: for they know not what they do.

Most powerful words ever spoken.
(Jesus Christ in Luke 23:34)
R
RER Offline
R
odds are your LMB over populated and anything small enough to fit in their mouths is non existent in the pond. You probably have lots of small skinny hungry bass. The BG left are too big for them and probably look pretty decent due to low numbers of them. catfish could have died out for any umber of reasons.

If do not just reset you might start with removing as many stunted LMB ass possible and stock advanced sized BG.

IM sure some of the real pros will give some good suggestion soon.

where in GA are you located? I saw on your other post you said SE GA. We have another forum member that offers advance sized BG that might help out.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 04/15/16 02:50 PM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
U
U
There doesn't seem to be any problem with your pond with the exception of perhaps too much predation from bass which in that case you will see many stunted bass around the same size. The big bluegill that you notice is perfectly normal since you seem to have a healthy balance of LMB and BG you said you didn't see any small fish so I don't assume they are stunted. If you had mostly small stunted bluegill that would be a sign of too little predation by LMB. You also have to remember that when the bluegill spawn the bass are controlling their numbers greatly. Another thing is its perfectly normal after 10 years that there is no longer any CC left since they can't breed in pond conditions unless if they have containers to spawn in. It is not recommended to put spawning containers for CC since their numbers will greatly take over the pond. They last thing I would do is start from scratch since if it is a too much predation from bass , it can easily be reversed by catching a few LMB out of the pond.

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
I am thinking the numbers are off because there used to be decent sized bass, I have caught some 3 or 4 lbs. Since the water is clear and I never see them anymore, I figured it was over loaded with small yearling bass.

I was thinking about removing smaller bass like you said, adding CC and maybe some BG?

Bobby, I am 20 minutes west of Brunswick. What member are you talking about?

U
U
I would remove a few of those younger bass, perhaps maybe a couple bigger bass and the bluegill population should rebound by itself. You can definitely add more CC just make sure they are big enough they won't be a meal to your bass.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You're basing your fish population on what you see? I think you need more data.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
There are a few possibilities here....with several 10 pound plus cats, they were the top predator and could have wiped out all but the largest bass, with adults dying off from old age and starvation since BG are too big for them to eat also. Most likely though, there are tons of 8" bass and no BG getting over 4" long.

A lot of fishing needs to be done to get a better idea of what is there...using live baits and worms with larger hooks and small hooks to target all size ranges. Cast netting would help, so would lowering the pond to a few feet and cast netting/seining or fishing.

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
We have fished it maybe 12 times in the last 6 weeks. The BG and silver bream (not sure what they are) bite good but really there are no small fish. The bass don't bite at all, maybe catch 1 fish per trip and it will be under one lb.

I am basing a lot of this off of what I can see but this is because the layout of the pond and the clear water make it very easy to see. The pond started off as a small circle, then another circle was added with a canal making the entire thing a circle. So in essence, you can walk around the entire pond and see into most of it.

I even tried Bass fishing with live bait just to see if perhaps there was a larger fish that didn't want artificials but I never got a bite.

Last edited by chambers270; 04/15/16 06:36 PM.

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Also this pond is very shallow, deepest area is maybe 6 feet.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Could be a great time to drain and renovate then...deepen, widen, shape the bottom....whatever you like

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, push the reset button. If the goal is BG/CC, then the LMB in there are doing you no favors.

Killing, draining and reworking will make it more enjoyable for everyone in the long run.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RER Offline
R
I sent you a pm.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
U
U
Depending on what you want out of the pond, you can enlarge the pond which could give you a much larger fish population. However if your content with size I wouldn't start over since your just wasting money. The size of the pond doesn't seem that large and you can probably easily manage it very well. I would add a handful of 9-12 inch channel catfish which should be rather cheap. I would still remove a few bass to let the BG to spawn.

R
RER Offline
R
I say remove a bunch of LMB, add some advanced sized BG. Also some advanced sized GSH and Flounder !

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
I am definitely not digging on this pond since I am about to be paying for another renovation at my house. This is strictly a low budget area. Focus is to have some nice CC and some BG in it. I don't mind if a few bass end up staying but it is not going to be a bass pond by any means.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tacoma Bob
Recent Posts
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Boondoggle - 05/08/24 06:44 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/08/24 03:57 PM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by FishinRod - 05/08/24 02:02 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13