Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
reddirt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, I'm new here, first post. I've been reading so please excuse me if I use wrong terms or long winded. I'm trying to educate myself.

Here's what I have. A small hilltop pond about 100x150ft about 6 feet deep. From all of my research (aerial photos) back into the 1940's this pond has never gone dry. Over the past 10 summers here in Oklahoma it's dropped about 2 feet. So my idea is to put in a second pond 150 feet down the property. The 2nd pond, if built would be about the same size as the first but about 15 feet deep. The thought is to take advantage of the run off from my first pond which currently just overflows onto my back 8 acres. So if I dig a trench, lay a pipe and cover it I can control that run off with the second pond. I'm thinking with very little water pumped after that in the hot summers I could always keep it full.
Also that run off from the 2nd pond would be diverted to my neighbor’s pond which is 8 acres. His pong is 65 feet downhill and he's having issues keeping it full. It was built back around the 30's for the oil field so it has no creek feeding it. Just property run off from his 80 acres and the surrounding 100 or so acres. The shame is that my run off just misses his pond because of an old platform area where my shop is. Back in the day it was a rig site.

Thought?? Good idea? Bad idea?

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of great knowledge here and people willing to share it....and specific to your question, there are several that have a 'terraced' setup like you describe. I'm sure one of them will comment soon, but the first thought that came to mind when I read your post was be careful with that trench/pipe. Certainly possible and a good idea but make sure you have anti-seep collars in multiple locations and you really tamp the dirt well when burying the pipe. If not that's a recipe for a wash-out...ask me how I know.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It all sounds OK to me. If you're only going 150 ft. do you really need the pipe?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
reddirt,
Welcome to Pond Boss...tons of good info and lots of helpful folks here. Can you post an aerial pic of your pond and where you want to build the 2nd pond in reference to your neighbors pond. Good Luck!

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree about using the pipe, less water loss to evaporation and to soaking into the soil, and potentially less heating of the water during the summer.

One thing to keep in mind is that every species of fish, plant, algae and potentially any disease or parasite that is in the upper ponds and not in the lower ponds will be in the lower ponds once they are connected.

Conversely, there is a potential for any fish in the lower ponds to swim upstream to the upper ponds using the method that you are proposing.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
reddirt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for that good warning. I plan on an 18 inch or 24 inch pipe from the main pond to pond 2. Then just doing an overflow from 2.

R
reddirt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
It all sounds OK to me. If you're only going 150 ft. do you really need the pipe?

I want to maintain my small pasture so underground is the best way. That's my main deer feeding area and hangout. Plus I want my grass. smile

R
reddirt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: stickem'
reddirt,
Welcome to Pond Boss...tons of good info and lots of helpful folks here. Can you post an aerial pic of your pond and where you want to build the 2nd pond in reference to your neighbors pond. Good Luck!

Hopefully this works

Last edited by reddirt; 03/24/16 10:29 AM.
D
D
You're a good neighbor!

L
L
The only problem I see is undesirable fish coming from your pond and entering the neighbor's pond. If he is OK with what you have, then go for it.

Another option would be to use a ditch with a liner in the bottom and then fill with gravel, sand, and rocks. Kind of a half-pipe. This would allow filtration of the water when passing from one body to the other. In heavy flow events, water would just pass over the top. Make sure larger rocks are on the top to prevent washouts.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images