Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
What???
Your loose change, Sir?
Yes I do!

I was asked that at a gas station today.

The explanation was that a lot of people don't want to bother with loose coin change, so they are willing to take it off your hands free and just give you bills back. The sister gas station to this one started doing this a couple months ago and is raking in a few extra grand per week. The guy told me that it get's shared with the employees that participate, but not all will. There is a No Change button on the cash register to keep track of it.

Saving loose change adds up over time, so I'll keep mine.

P
P
Wow that's incredible, I was told once watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I told this to a gal at the local general store. She said when the camp ground is full and tubers are everywhere, a lot do not want the loose change back. Except in her case, the owner keeps it. There are hundreds of people per hour going thru that place, and they ranked a few times last summer as the #1 in the state of MI for Budweiser sales in one day. It's a zoo at times!!

T
T
I am on of those that tells them to keep my worthless change. Our money hasn't been worth much in 8 years. Unless it's at least a dollar bill, keep it.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Last I checked, $0.99 is a penny shy of a dollar. You can give it to them tho.

FWIW I will pick up a penny if I see it in a parking lot. Even if it is in a puddle. On the flip side, a couple weeks back, an old gal in line at the grocery was trying to figure out which item she needed to put back cause she was a dollar and change short of what she needed. I pulled out a handful of change from my pocket and problem was solved. You would have thought I gave her a million bucks. All those coins add up.....

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
FWIW I will pick up a penny if I see it in a parking lot. Even if it is in a puddle. On the flip side, a couple weeks back, an old gal in line at the grocery was trying to figure out which item she needed to put back cause she was a dollar and change short of what she needed. I pulled out a handful of change from my pocket and problem was solved. You would have thought I gave her a million bucks. All those coins add up.....

I hear ya Bill. I do the same thing when someone is in distress in the checkout with lack of funds. Hey I got it, and it's usually not much. Everyone is happy, and I get to check out much quicker wink

I'm kinda picky as to who I will help in that situation. I saw this old gal's groceries lying there as they rang them up. Can of soup, cheapest TV dinner, small pack of pork chops, price reduced for quick sale.... Her menu for the week was laying there and she's trying to decide which meal to skip. I have been in the same situation where the groceries are steak, designer ice cream, etc. and I just let them put things back till they can pay. wink

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It's pretty easy to scope someone out at the checkout. We're not talking about footing the bill for Peg Bundy laugh

I hear ya. The thing that really gets me is folks like my old gal are paying cash. Too many times I see the folks with steak and designer ice cream have a handful of food stamps!

Edit: I also see folks that have food stamps and are using them as intended. Those folks I'll dig my change out for!

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/02/15 08:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
T
T
.99 is .99 but what does it buy? It does not buy what it did buy just 8 years ago. Quantitative easing has created a scenario that makes many of us disrespect small change. Case in point, the gas station you mentioned to start this topic. They didn't just come up with this, people actually must be saying "keep the change" for this to happen. Look at the counter tops of many stores, they have penny dishes filled with not only pennies but silver colored coin as well.

To walk around with .20 in my pocket is uncomfortable and it will end up in the laundry. I have actual important items I need in my pockets like keys, the lint in my pocket is worth more than this governments coin. The decision involving the discomfort of the coins clanking around in my pocket is simple for me, those coins can buy nothing. If I need .20 I just reach in the penny dish next time I'm in need and use it. It seems to work out for me.

If people want to pick up every penny, that's fine. I'll leave them there and let someone who needs it pick it up.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Wow. On so many levels.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dang right I want my change.

For a lot of years I banked it for my oldest grandkids. There's about $800 in each of their savings accounts for college. Since neither of them will ever go to college I have no idea what will happen to it.

Nowadays, I toss it into a jar. When a couple of teen Granddaughters come over, it's theirs. There was $67.00 the last time they raided it.

I rarely spend $1 bills. When I get $10 in 1's in my wallet I toss it in a drawer. When the stack gets too tall, I trade it in at the bank. Last time I had $170 that I blew on something.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
D
Some food for thought. Here in Canada we have eliminated the penny. All your change is rounded up or down to five cents.

We have $1 coin and $2 coin so change will add up. I keep mine in my truck for coffee money and spring and fall I let my son clean my truck and he gets to keep my change. With the $1 and $2 they add up quick. Last spring I gave him $22 to clean my truck. Doa.

So do you want your change would not fly here in Canada.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
All I can say is, Susan B Anthony dollar coins must be a source of tremendous mental and physical discomfort for some.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I'm so wealthy that I have a boy to start my motor scooter. Of course I pay him in pennies.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
G
G
A very smart man once said: "A penny saved is a penny earned"

Who still uses cash anyway?

About ten years ago I cashed in almost a thousand dollar's worth of loose change which had accumulated over the years as a result of purchasing things with cash. Nowadays, I use a credit card and the only thing I purchase with cash anymore is (***), and that idiot nor his mom ever has change for a twenty............. how convenient!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I won't leave the house without cash in my pocket. But I have come to realize that I'm an ever shrinking minority in that regard. Few things frost me quicker than having a customer pay for a $2 gasket with a credit card. Really? You don't have any money on you? Well the price on that $2 gasket just went up, as I have a $5 minimum policy.

Actually, I'm very close to stop accepting credit cards here in the shop. What a huge pain in the butt.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tony, some places have a minimum for CC transactions, and some charge a 3% convenience fee for CC/debit card use. If I had a business that only dealt with face to face transactions, I'd add the convenience fee.

Call me cheap, a tightwad, whatever. But I won't walk past a penny on the ground and not pick it up.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
This morning waiting in line at another place to pay for my coffee, this kid buy's a $0.35 pack of gum with a credit/debit card. That's just a tad silly to me.

I save all of my change, 1 and 5 dollar bills as well. Have a nice PLC box that fits about $700.00 in 1 dollar bills. Every few months I take it to the bank. Nice way to save a bit if you ask me.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I save my change and put it in a bucket and at this time of year sort it out , roll it and use it to buy toys for tots. The exercise in humility is good for me.

T
T
Originally Posted By: ewest
I save my change and put it in a bucket and at this time of year sort it out , roll it and use it to buy toys for tots. The exercise in humility is good for me.

Exactly why I do the opposite smile I let the checkout guy/gal keep it or throw it in the jar for someone else who needs it, next time it might be me. Seriously, our coin is so worthless now that this is why you see people leaving so much silver colored stuff in the penny dish. Because of the cheapening of the dollar, it makes this "common" area one that people are willing to leave their "scraps" in for the next fella that might need it.

I got no bone to pick with those that find a penny and pick it up and nobody should have a bone to pick with others that find a penny and throw it in the penny dish. I don't save my deposit bottles either smile The smell, cleanliness, floor space needed to store silly 10 cent bottles just isn't worth it to me.

Last edited by esshup; 11/03/15 02:42 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Several months ago, maybe even a year, I noticed that waiters/waitresses were not bringing me the coinage change when I paid with cash.

Now that is BOGUS!!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
They sure don't want cash at hotels for reservations anymore! They look at you like you have some kind of disease if you want to pay cash. And yes I know why.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
T
Lets just say 2,610,618 gallons of fuel reported purchased in the 3rd quarter. 1 Penny comes out to $26,106.18 and people still tell me a penny don't matter. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?