Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
I've searched the forum quite a bit and cannot find a similar situation, I apologize if this is contained in another post...

I have a 5 acre lake 25ft at its deepest, watershed is majority wooded with 15 acres of CRP ground mixed in. It's located in mid Missouri, built 35 years ago and purchased 3 years ago. Good bass/panfish population, with mostly small bass (need to harvest to manage appropriately). There is extremely minimal algae growth and occasionally I'll see a green film type substance at the top. Water is stained brown (not muddy).

Now, my two questions may be related. First is why would my lake be stained (not muddy) all year long, even when you can see 5+ feet down? Second, and possibly related to first, is why would I have almost no algae in the water? (I do not believe there are grass carp). Was initially thinking age of the lake could be a factor but I've seen plenty of other lakes similar in age with crystal clear water and some algae growth. I'm hoping to figure it out so I can develop a solution.

Thanks for your help!

C
CMM Offline
C
Hey Lunkertrout,

I am in West Central MO, about 1 hour SSE of KC. Welcome to the forum.

Have you tested your water in any way to see where you are at on the chemical level? Does your water need more fertility? May I assume you are looking for a plankton bloom that will color your water greenish rather than the current brown? You mentioned crystal clear water, is that what you are aiming for?

Lots on the forum regarding getting good plankton blooms and different testing methods for your water. I am sure someone more knowledgable than I will be here shortly. Lots on here about water quality in general and how it affects fish productions and populations. Two topics you can cruise through in the forum list are "Fertilization" and "Water Chemistry" Maybe something there will help.

Good luck achieving your goals!

CMM

CMM

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Lunkertrout,

5' of visibility is pretty good, so with this piece of information coupled with the fact that the pond is older and the watershed is dominated by trees, my gut reaction is that the brown color you are observing is due to tannins in the water. Tannic water is quite common when decades worth of leaves and organic debris are allowed to accumulate.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Shawn, I think you are spot on with your assessment. We received major rain in July, and a lot of ponds were filled by runoff through wooded lands, and the ponds are now stained brown with tannic acid. Visibility is still running about 30" even though the rain stopped well over a month ago.

I'd be willing to bet that if the water was tested for total P, Ortho P, Nitrogen, alkalinity and hardness, the answer would be very apparent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: lunkertrout
.....occasionally I'll see a green film type substance at the top. .....

Hey Lunkertrout,

Welcome to PBF after all this time making a post!

I will vote pollen is your occasional green film. I see it all summer on my pond. Rain takes care of it.

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill D.; 09/08/15 09:52 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump