Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,107
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, jbird5986, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 739 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#422290 08/26/15 07:34 PM
OP Offline
First off, I have to give the ROE(rules of engagement) for this post:

1. NO, I repeat, NO sympathy statements. George will not tolerate them.

2. NO regrets.

George wanted me to tell the story about the first time he came out to the farm first. I agreed.

The first time George came out to the farm, He looked left and said "you need a brood pond right there." I did not have the time or understanding to realize what he had said. I would come to understand over the next few years how much of a game changer brood ponds really are, but until then, I did not get it. George took one look at the big pond and said "That's not a pond, that is a lake." Again I did not get it. George saw the potential in our project with one look. When the first brood pond happened, I named it after him. Now I have three brood ponds and soon I'll have four. I get it. Thanks George for being patient, I am a little slow at times.

Now for the real reason for this post.

George's cancer is back and he is now being cared for by Hospice. He is showing such character of strength facing death that I am beyond humbled. Staring down death, George continues to teach and sets the bar higher than one could ever expect to achieve. Seeing him at peace and prepared for his day with the Lord is inspirational.

This post is where George would like any POSITIVE messages posted to him and he would like Allen's post to be used for the stories ABOUT him and his effect on us.

George is loosing weight rapidly and does not have strength to reply to all, but we will ensure he reads them all, or we will read them to him.

I'll throw out the first pitch:

Thank you Army Air Corp Engineer. Your compassion, understanding and patients will not be forgotten. Your foot prints on this world changed things for the better. You will be remembered!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Hey George,

Thank you Sir for all the sage advice. I haven't been on the forum that long but I took your circle hook advice to heart and the young anglers on my pond no longer gut hook fish! They were always concerned they had hurt the fish, now, that is not a problem. Who knows, when I retire I may take up fly fishing!

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Mr. George,
It was indeed a pleasure and honor to sit and eat breakfast with you and some of the other guys on Saturday morning at the last conference at the Rockwall Hilton this past February. Thank you, for including a new guy like me in with you and your old friends that morning. It was a pleasure sitting and listening to you speak of your experiences in the early oil industry back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. You may not have remembered me from that day, but I certainly remembered you. I have enjoyed your wisdom here on PB...and you are the kind of person that makes me wish that I had gotten here to Pond Boss much earlier. May Godspeed be with you and peaceful with you on your upcoming journey...
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Hi George,

I now have a whippy stick for pond use thanks to you! Now, if I could only stop knotting the tippet every time I try to cast it...

We've never met, but this only proves how strong your influence is -- even people you've never met want to try to live up to your example.

Best wishes.

John

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brian,

Thanks for posting George's comments and desires.

Years ago I told George I wanted to just like him when I grow up. I still feel exactly the same.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
P
P
George
You have a gift of inspiring folks to be like you, every post has something to say that benefits all. I have never met you but feel as I have. That is a gift in itself. Thanks

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Goerge, you are an inspiration to myself and many many others. Thank you.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
S
S
I dont know George because havent been around here very long ,, he must be one of the finest members on here so i intend to look up his post and learn from what must be a very wise man and as long as this forum is up guys like me will read his post and thru this forum his legacy will continue to educate and inspire members like me .

Founding Member Scatterlands Farms Williford Ar
http://www.ozarkhunter.net/

George, although I have not gotten the opportunity to meet you in person, your wealth of knowledge and passion for pond boss, fishing, and friends is a great inspiration to us all. I probably would of never taken up fly fishing without your input and excitement for what you love to do. I want to thank you. You are truly a wonder.

Forced to work born to Fish
A
A
George, I never had the privilege of meeting you, but I want you to know that your pioneering work with HSB in ponds continues to resonate. Thanks to you, HSB will be stocked in my new pond to delight my kids and grandkids in the years ahead.

You've really made a difference for many folks, which is all that anyone can ask. Thank you!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
George, I have always felt that we had a friendship and an understanding, because of our life's work in the Oil and Gas industry. I am pretty sure you accepted me the same way. And we also have the ponds and fishes in common. We never met in person but I will look forward to meeting you someday. It was almost a year ago when we had our first discussion here about the Overton's fishery and my path toward a great fishery. I spoke with Todd yesterday and we discussed my pond and goals, Ha, I reminded him of my order for Georges HSB. We also discussed what a good man you are. And this is a good time to say thanks for all your guidance and advice on the LMB that now swim in my pond.

Thanks George

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Lunker
Lunker
George, due to your posts and pictures, I have more respect and appreciation for fly fishing than I once had, it's all about tight lines. wink

Steve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
george!!!

Nothing left to do but get an ice-cold case of Shinerbock, turn the catheter to wide-open, put the ball game on the radio, and let her rip!!!!!

Maybe you guys (george, highflyer, FIH, and Dave) can pick a ball game to put on the radio, and let us all know. We can tune into the same game and enjoy each others' virtual company.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey George RC51 here! smile

You know I actually took up fly fishing because of you! I always laugh when I look at that picture of the 11 inch CNBG I caught on my fly rod! Cause the first thing I thought of when I caught it was "Man I can't wait to show George this!!!" Biggest BG to date on my pond on a fly rod! If you wouldn't have inspired me to get one that sweet morning catching that fish may not have ever happened.

We have never met George and yet somehow I feel like I know you with all the pics and chats on the forum. I love your true grit and speak your mind attitude that's what makes you, you!

We love ya George!! Be strong my friend!! smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #422335 08/27/15 08:17 AM
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
George, Thank you.

George on the left.

Nikki and George in the middle.

Attached Images
DSC04148.JPG DSC04160.JPG DSC04212.JPG
Last edited by esshup; 08/27/15 11:02 AM. Reason: make links visible

It's another day in paradise
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
George, it's difficult to put into words exactly how much you've meant to people you've never even met face to face, like myself.

It was years ago now, but I was curious about a topic involving directional drilling, and knew you had extensive knowledge on the subject. I reached out to you and you said you'd send me an email. Boy, did I get a history lesson! The on-site, been there, done that, seen it, started it, finished it, designed it, built it, etc., etc., etc. That's what we get from you, George, on such an enormous range of topics. That's the most valuable kind of information and one you have given freely your entire life. For that, I can't thank you enough.

Oh, I recently obtained a hand-me-down fly rod. Wasted no time and tried it out on MY pond. It was ugly I'm sure, but I caught one. The first of many you can be sure.

B
B
George, I don't post a lot, but I've enjoyed your passion, enthusiasm, and encouragement immensely over the years. I particularly like all the photos of you and recognize a life well lived. You are the epitome of "class!"

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
George, thank you for having the courage to challenge accepted practice, and for your desire to think outside of the box. I admire the strength of your convictions, as well as your willingness to share the fruits of your labors that resulted from this thought process. Although we never met, I have always felt a certain kinship with your steadfast determination.

What I take from our brief exchanges here on the forum, is the confirmation that hard work, persistence, and resolve, are still worthy foundations from which to build upon. I will do my best to instill this ideal into the generations that come after me, as I know you have done also. Well done George, well done.

Last edited by sprkplug; 08/27/15 11:10 AM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
George, here's not only another "thank you" for all your contributions inside and outside of PB, but a personal one from me for the inspiration to fly fish!

So, last night on your behalf I grabbed the fly rod and a grasshopper fly and hit the pond.

George, you must have some pretty strong ties with the good Lord as I caught a pond-record LMB (using the fly rod) last night, followed by one of my elusive HSB's caught this morning on a pellet-fly and of course a circle hook wink .

I said your name many times while reeling those in. Could you hear it? grin

Thank you, George and may the blessing of God be upon you.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, I remember the first time we met, at your house right after the first cancer go-around. Thank you for all of your wisdom. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have purchased the TFO Mimi-Mag and wouldn't have gotten back in to fly fishing.

Many on here might not know the story behind the spinster fly.

Here's some reading:
Spinster history

I am lucky enough to have two, one that has been used and one that will never see the water.

Another tidbit is Georges work behind the scenes in getting HSB stocked in Texas ponds.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
CMM Offline
C
George,

Thank you so much for your willingness to share your stories, expertise, wisdom and opinions on Pond Boss. I was so happy to find a fly fisherman here! Until I read some of your posts I was afraid I may have been the only one. Now I see how many people you have inspired and coached along the way.

May the good Lord bless you and keep you and your fly rods forever and ever.

Peace to you and yours.

Cmm

CMM

T
T
Does George have a forum name? I have no idea who in the heck George is. I do gather that he likes the fly rod! I too am a huge fan of the fly rod so George must be one hell of a cool cat!

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: timshufflin
Does George have a forum name? I have no idea who in the heck George is. I do gather that he likes the fly rod! I too am a huge fan of the fly rod so George must be one hell of a cool cat!

His forum name is George1

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
Nice meeting you at the conference George. Thanks for all you have done!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George,
You've taught me about life, and friendship and forgiveness. You are good an example of a MAN as I've ever seen. Love ya, buddy.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails