Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33456 06/07/04 09:47 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hello,
I have a 2 acre pond in northern Pennsylvania. It varies from 3-6' deep. I have a plant that is spreading from the shore outward. It is like a small oval lily pad. It measures 2" x 2 1/2". It is a rooted plant. It covers the surface well where it grows. I don't want to totally remove it, the fish love it. I want to control it. A county agent told me to spray it with Rodeo, but he couldn't identify the plant. I don't want to spray it until I identify it. Also I was told that a generic Rodeo is now being produced. Is this true? Does anyone know what it is? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Glen

Glen
L
L

G
OP Offline
G
Lildumper,
Thanks for the reply. It isn't Spatterdock. The site that you recommended was wonderful and it helped a lot. I found out what the plant is. It is Water Shield. I might not have found out if it wasn't for this site and your help.
Thanks again,
Glen

Glen
Lunker
Lunker
Glen - I think you'll find that RODEO (or any of the other aquatic glyphosate formulations) will be ineffective on watershield. Granular 2,4-D (AQUA-KLEEN or NAVIGATE) or SONAR (applied early season to static ponds) are the only two treatments that I know of that will control this particular specie. Glyphosate doesn't seem to move (translocated) very well in this plant. Also, the slimy coating on the submerged stem and underside of the leaf provide it with protection from other herbicide and biological options. Good luck.

P
P
Kelly is right. You may also try Renovate-triclopyr. I used it several times last season on water shield with decent results. Make sure not to sink the leaf of the plant during a foliar application.

PondsRx.com Your Pond's Best Friend!
G
OP Offline
G
PondsRX & Kelly Duffie,
Thanks for the responses. A county agent had recommended Rodeo. It appears that it isn't the best choice. I will look into these other herbicides. There is another problem I have to check into. In Pennsylvania some of these herbicides are restricted and a permit is needed.
Again, thanks for the help.
Regards,
Glen

Glen
Lunker
Lunker
Definitely check your state's pesticide laws and the labeled water-use restrictions for each product.

The PA Bureau of Plant Industry is the agency that oversees and enforces both EPA and PA-specific pesticide laws for your state. According to the PA Pest Control Act of 1973, section 17
PA Pesticide Control Act of 1973 , an individual must be licensed as a private applicator IF a pesticide designated as "restricted-use" will be utilized.

Neither fluridone (SONAR) nor 2,4-D (AQUA-KLEEN or NAVIGATE) are Federal Restricted-Use Pesticides (as designated by the EPA). Therefore, unless these products are designated in PA as "state limited-use pesticides", it would appear that a private applicators license is not required for their use - at least not on your own property.

However, this finding was the result of a quick search of the website linked above. It would be wise to verify this assessment through a local authority (county agricultural agent, etc.).

Whether or not an applicators license is "required" in your state, it is still your legal and moral obligation to read and comply with the labeled directions for all pesticides.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Just my 2 cents.......We've had the best results with controlling watershield with Renovate. If my memory serves me correctly, it is a bit pricey, but it worked extremely well.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
G
G
I had a severe water shield problem this year on an >8 acre pond and have been using a product called weedtrine in small doses over the last 2-3 monthes. It has signifigantly reduced the coverage of this plant.

Does this type of plant deteriorate over summer monthes or am I actually killing it? The leaves turn to brown within a 12 hour period with each use. So, that tells me I'm killing it but am I wrong to assume this? Am I just killing the leaf?

Lunker
Lunker
Your perception is correct. You're only "killing" the leaf, since WEEDTRINE D (diquat) is not a systemic herbicide (meaning that it doesn't move within the plant's vascular system).

As previously posted, I (too) have found RENOVATE to be comparatively effective on watershield. It is a systemic herbicide, providing fairly decent root control of susceptable plants.

HABITAT (a new aquatic herbicide) also shows a lot of promise on watershield - even moreso than RENOVATE.

With either product, a surfactant (wetting agent) must be tank-mixed with the herbicide.

R
R
Has anyone tried Renovate on cattails? Just wondering.
Robert B

P
P
Robert,
Renovate is triclopyr and will not effect the cattail. Renovate is dicot specific, which cattail is not.
Hope this helps.

PondsRx.com Your Pond's Best Friend!
Lunker
Lunker
While I generally agree with PondsRx's comments, RENOVATE is also active on bullrush (Scirpus spp). I haven't tried it on cattails, and don't think it would work. But, the activity on bullrush wasn't expected either.

G
G
After researching a bit more, I have come to the conclusion that mine is not water shield. It's American Pondweed. I am almost 100% certain of it.

That's a different deal isn't it? The diquat Weedtrine D should be killing this stuff?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM