Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 710 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bill D. #446908 05/10/16 03:48 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
If you take a jar of the water and let it sit for a few days does it settle out?

Yeah, I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I did that with a 5 gallon bucket and in a couple days, it was good and clear. There was a grey clayish material on the bottom of the bucket.

I was going to go the alum route, but I saw a couple posts on here that mentioned if the clay settles out, then you have something in the pond causing it. Wind or fish???

1 Acre Pond with SMB, YP, LMB, GSF, RES, FHM, GSH, Papershell Crayfish, Pike
5.5 Acre Pond with LMB, BG

My Build Thread
Sorry, missed that you had already done a bucket test....

Only other thing I can offer is several weeks back we had some days of very high wind and it made my pond very muddy but it mostly settled out in 3 or 4 days after the wind quit.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
T
Much of the surface water in southern MO has a gray, milky look. My guess is that it's caused by the limestone that is present throughout much of this State.

Bullheads can be easily caught by fishing with worms on the bottom. But other fish will take the bait too. You could throw out a handline and check it periodically to see how you've done. No need to stay with it, especially if you're catching only BH or nearly all BH. It's a simple thing to try.

H
OP Offline
H
Yeah, I wouldn't think that a 5" BH would be able to stir up the entire pond either and since it is basically always the same clarity when I walk around it, I figure it can't be the wind, because we do have calmer days. I have no idea, but that's why I'm here!

I put a larger fish trap in late last summer and I don't think I caught any BH, but was catching some other fish. I'll try getting that in again to see how many I catch in it.

My Build Thread
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If it settles out by itself in a container, then it's mechanical problems. If the shoreline is not vegetated, then it could be wind, but it would clear up on it's own. If it stays turbid for weeks, then I would say fish or something else.

A neighbor has a 1/4 acre pond and a single pair of Pekin ducks kept it turbid. He got rid of the ducks and it cleared up. So, yes, fish can keep it turbid too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
OP Offline
H
That's what I keep coming back to. Thanks esshup!

My Build Thread
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Not saying anyone is wrong here but just how many BH's would one have to have to keep a 1 acre pond all grey colored??? I guess that's one of those I would have to see it to believe things for me.... I been on a lot of small lakes and ponds in my life and I know they had BH's and never seen water like you have right now in them? I don't know not saying it isn't a contributing factor but I don't think it's the only thing doing it... that's just my OP... tho if you find out what it is let us know... I am curious now...

RC

Last edited by RC51; 05/11/16 09:14 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
C
RC51, I'm with you (at least thinking on the same lines)

If the stirring up is BH, how many lakes with tons of BH aren't stirred up at all.

TJ and I suspect our crays are doing it as we have all our vegetation denuded by crays and here isn't anything left for them to eat, so we assume they are stirring the bottom. But then why do not lakes in Canada that have natural rocks in them, billions of crays still have such crystal clear water you can see to the bottom? Is it the exact mix of the sediment in the bottom of our ponds? The mix of clay and sand that leads to the muddying of the water due to suspended sand/silt?

I have a variable that others don't have, goldfish, but why did my silt/grey water clear pretty nicely in the winter and go suddenly from clear to brown as weather warmed?

I don't have BG or sunfish to spawn so can't blame that.

many of us have GSH, shouldn't we all see a pattern if the GSH are stirring it up?

My pond is sheltered so wind isn't doing it.

My father in law insisted last summer that my aerator was doing it and told me to lift it off the bottom or turn it off. Did both of those things and currently the aerator isn't even hooked up and still have the chocolate colored water smile smile

RC51 #446987 05/11/16 01:38 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RC51
Not saying anyone is wrong here but just how many BH's would one have to have to keep a 1 acre pond all grey colored??? I guess that's one of those I would have to see it to believe things for me.... I been on a lot of small lakes and ponds in my life and I know they had BH's and never seen water like you have right now in them? I don't know not saying it isn't a contributing factor but I don't think it's the only thing doing it... that's just my OP... tho if you find out what it is let us know... I am curious now...

RC

It would all depend on the water's electric charge so to speak. If the water was easily muddied up and it would stay that way, then it wouldn't take many. My neighbors 1/4 acre pond stayed turbid with only ONE pair of ducks. Remove the ducks, pond cleared up.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #447012 05/11/16 03:22 PM
S
S
My CC will even stir up the bottom when it is feeding time. They come near shore to get some of the AM400 I am hand feeding the small BG. I even sometimes put in some sinking catfish food so they will stir up the bottom and keep the nutrients from becoming sludge.

But this pond had a layer of topsoil put down before it filled and my sediment settles back out pretty quickly after they stir it up.

My old pond when cleaned out was clay. And the BH in it do stir it up and keep it a little turbid at times. The good side to that is, I have very little problem with FA growing on the bottom because of it. The pond does clear up enough to get a good algae bloom and generally healthy water. But I did have it pretty clear with lime treatment till I had a BH spawn and lots of small BH. Now it has become a little more turbid than it was. Waiting for the LMB to spawn and put the hurt to future BH generations.

Last edited by snrub; 05/11/16 03:23 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
C
An update here about grey water. I've been tossing around ideas for the past few weeks about what to do about grey/brown turbid water. There has been good debate on this thread about stirring action of CC vs GSH vs crayfish and in my case, possibly goldfish and crayfish. My traps won't catch crayfish. It is possible I don't have the right bait or the right traps, or there are very few adults to trap, but I keep trying.

It seemed overnight my water went very chocolate colored, almost like coffee with heavy vanilla creamer. Visibility was awful. I didn't put two and two together till yesterday. Yesterday I noted the water suddenly clearing in the shallows. We have had no heavy rains, no heavy wind action to cause the turbid color, why the consistent cloudy conditions in the water for weeks, and then now sudden clearing? I see now up to about 2' of water it is clear again and gets a bit cloudy as you go deeper.

I have been baiting, setting traps, checking them twice a day. I noted that my hands REEK last 2 weeks. It is a very unusual smell, not fishy, but very aromatic and earthy as the organic chemists would say. I noted I would wash my hands inside and that smell would linger.

I recall now that prior to fencing off our pond that the same smell would be on our dog when he swam in the pond and we could not wash it out.

Now with that unusual smell and the sudden clearing of the shallow water, I'm thinking I may have a brownish bacteria/algae bloom that I didn't recognize. Timing is right since the fertilizer machine came through about 3 weeks ago and the water went suddenly brown right after that.

So, I probably actually had a 2 week brownish/grey bloom going on. Not a bad thing afterall! Good timing too as I see these little critters at the surface which I believe are larval perch (stock photo attached, I saw them at night and couldn't get a good picture)

Also catching some 3" perch in the traps (last year after stocking apparently some females still pulled off a spawn, most waited till this spring though). Also catching a few leeches for the first times and some newts. A few PK shrimp are still in the pond (spotted at night with strong light and found in traps) too which is very glad tidings for me given the perch predation possibility.

Anyone else see a sudden clearing now?

Attached Images
Perch larva.jpg
C
C
Went back in records. Fertilizer went down on April 14. I noticed color change right around 7-10 days later at end of April.

In the 'jar test' suspended clay will settle. What will the brown bloom do, still settle? Will the brown pigment coat the bottom of the jar when it is settled?

B
B
canyon, I have really good luck with dry dog food (Iams large chunk) in minnow traps. Anytime I use that bait I catch at least one, There are only ~200 in 3/4 acre pond. Nothing on dried bread, fish food, canned cat food, or white styrofoam. Glad your water cleared. What are you using in the traps to catch the small perch?

C
C
Ben,
I started out right at ice out with dog food and I think my goldfish, perch etc were just hungry!! They all went in the traps. Then the bloom, or mud or whatever hit and it was like the lights were off. I tried 2 different style traps. My kids caught a perch and he didn't survive. I put the carcase in a metal style cylinder trap and after a week had 1 crayfish find it.

In a lake I fish where there is abundant crays, I use a filet BG carcass and it works wonders. Once I used the fat trimmings from some boneless chicken breasts and that worked great.

Back at home, I tried some meat scraps (table scraps of a ham dinner) No luck. Also no luck with bread or even tried a can of tuna fish with holes drilled in it.

Lately I've been using optimal fish feed and putting that in traps. I think the perch come to the feed area on the pond and clean up the feed after it sinks. I put the same feed in the traps and they seem to go in there and clean up the pellets.

Prior to optimal, I used what the fish farmer used and I think the perch were used to that, at least the adults were (Skretting steelhead food)

I'll try some dog food again, we have a few varieties in the garage.

I HOPE the pond is clearing, we'll have to see....
-------------
oh, one more variable. The American Toad eggs have hatched and the edges are black with 'toadpoles' or I think they are called 'toadlets' Maybe by sheer numbers they are eating the 'haze' that is in the shallows.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 05/20/16 01:22 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
Two years later and my pond is pretty darn clear now. We haven't caught any BH in some time (None last season) and the vegetation has filled in around the pond edges softening the wind erosion. So, not sure which one it was, but I'll take the clarity now.

My Build Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass