Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pat Williamson, gehajake), 1,349 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TYT-LNZ Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Hi everyone - stumbled across the site a couple months back as my pond was being excavated. Great topics, feedback and interaction.

As the rainy season approaches I'm finalizing all the work that needs to be done before the pond fills. (aeration, electricity, finding plants, placing tree structure & rocks)

I have 3 tiers at 4, 6 and 9+ ft and about 370,000 gallons overall. Looking to place a diffuser in the lower section and have looked at the systems by Vertex and so on.

Question is, are those low end systems overkill for a pond this small? Should I piece together something?

A couple odds & end -
*I have 240v electrical to within 40ft of waters edge, would like a 220 compressor if possible.
*Would like the ability to cycle the compressor on a timer or switch.
*Main goal is fish (BG & MLB most likely)
*Freezing isn't an issue
*bottom layer is almost full, and already turning green \:\)
*I don't have a protected enclosure, so the weatherproof cabinet idea is a good one.

Thanks for any suggestions, looking forward to reading PondBoss !

Brad

(would love to come fish some of the midwest lakes you all have put together !)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome TYT-LNZ,

I'm not an aeration guy, but I wanted to greet you and ask a question or two.

1. Is all your water coming from runoff?

2. By MLB do you mean largemouth bass?

3. Do any ponds near you have problems with silt turbidity?

4. Are you in the midwest very often? If so there's a couple of us who would be more than willing to give you a tour of our places.

I'm sure an aeration answer is forthcoming.

Again--glad to have you around.

Bruce

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I wouldnt worry about aeration until next summer when the fish are larger and O2 demand is greater. You have time to research the best options. 240vac is a good option; there are small compressors that run on 220 or are dual voltage depending on how they are wired. The aeration folks will respond.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A 1/4hp dual voltage rotary compressor (GAST mfg) would be very adequate for your needs. I don't think the rocking piston compressors are dual voltage. Compressor airflows or 3-4.5cfm will allow rapid turnover of your water volume. Thus you likely will not need to run the unit 24/7; maybe 4-8hrs per day with proper efficient diffuser. Compressors DO NEED to be in a WELL ventilated, weather proof shelter. There are several diffuser styles that would be quite good for your pond configuration.

I usually do not get too concerned about adding aeration until the pond is full and is relatively clear (visibility 2- 4ft and 8 to 16 months old). Aeration can prolong settling of fine coloidal clay particles. You want your airlines and diffuser NOT permanently affixed to the bottom so they can be easily moved/removed and or cleaned when necessary. Your pond size will allow for convenient installation of diffuser if it has a slider, rounded base, and a rope attached and just pull it into place with the rope from shore. Tie off rope to stake on shore (add a little weight to rope if necessary to sink it). Diffuser can then be easily moved when necessary.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
TYT-LNZ Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
thanks all - I'll hunt back thru the GAST site for their dual voltage models. didn't see any on first glance.

Bill -
1. yes, 95% will be runoff. It's situated in a nice bowl area below my property. I have two wells that I'll use to maintain levels during the summer.
2. Major League Bass \:\) If I can find a good supplier around here. Mostly trout farms.
3. Not sure on the turbidity. 3-4 ponds around me, all with new owners (old ponds) What indicators should I look for ?
4. Don't travel there much, but I'm starting a new job, so who knows !

Hadn't thought about waiting to put in the system. From what I've read on the boards here, even if the algae takes hold, aerating will gradually reduce it and bring back the clarity. Guess I didn't want to get too far behind. (certainly agree on the slow settling of fine clay...mine is all clay and disturbing it can take a week to clear out.)

thanks again !

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
TYT,Welcome aboard ! Look into the GAST 0523 1/4 hp model for the cfm range Bill is referring to, it is a matter of switching 3 wires to go from low to high voltage and simple to do, Gast ships these high voltage,at a 12 ft depth depending on diffuser and line ID and length you would have approx 3.7-4.2 cfm available. Most pistons that I deal with either Brookwood or Thomas are available high or low voltage once you get into the dual piston models (4.4 cfm) which is a lot for your size pond they are however wired either high or low volt at the factory. The lower cfm models (1.5-2.5)single pistons are strictly low volt (110-115)If you wish to put a pump in an exsisting building and trench to the pond it is simple to calculate the friction line loss to come up with the size line and diffuser needed to get you the turnover you desire. The longest run (due to having no electricty )that we have trenched to date is 5000 ft.so power by the pond is not needed in most cases. The savings on 115 volt vs 220 volt when you are only using 3-5 amps low volt is very very little so keep your options open and continue your homework, As far as when to install keep in mind your current demand for DO is low but will only increase as times moves on so when ever is conveinent for you and the budget allows I would schedule it.If you cant find the specs on the Gast in question visit our site, Good luck Ted

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
i am in the same situation as you are. i decidied to get an airator for my .23 acre pond. i will use it to keep an open area of ice if the temperatures arent to cold. my pond is fed by a yearly stream so it has year round airation. the main reason iv got the airator is to allow for a much higher carrying capacity of fish.

0.22 acre dam pond LMB, BG, and CC

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build