Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (RogersTailgate, anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 665 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I just got a price today. I need both Riprap and road stone. Same price for both - $290 per semi-load (about 13 tons per load) delivered. Does that sound reasonable?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
F
F
For us around here, that is a bit high Bill. But we live in a good gravel area.

T
T
3000' of crushed concrete out of east Dallas laid on top of an iron ore base. Material was watered and compacted with a vibratory roller.

This morning I sprayed the road edges to push back the costal Bermuda. 10 gals mixed in my tow behind sprayer wasn't $3-4.00.

Bill D. #411332 05/14/15 08:34 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I just got a price today. I need both Riprap and road stone. Same price for both - $290 per semi-load (about 13 tons per load) delivered. Does that sound reasonable?

Pricing depends alot on the current construction and area you are in. But you are right in the ball park at $22 per ton delivered. If I pick up I can cut the price in half but fuel and time will cost me the difference.

I was paying 320.00 for 18 ton of 57 and or #4 in the early spring and now we are back up to $400.00. If you get a spreader truck involved typically it costs me another $50.00

Last edited by Swiss; 05/14/15 08:36 PM.

2.5 Acre Pond
W
W
Swiss is 18 tons what a regular tandem truck will carry?

Im in NW Ga

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
T
~22 ton.......

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
In my area, they sell it by the yard. I have no idea how that relates to tons. With the flooding rains, I'm going to need quite a lot.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
In my area, they sell it by the yard. I have no idea how that relates to tons. With the flooding rains, I'm going to need quite a lot.

When I was in the office, I heard the lady trying to explain to someone on the phone about how much a ton of #57 was. I "think" I heard her say that a yard is like a ton or ton and half? I could be miss understanding that....

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Dave,

I am used to "by the yard" measurments as well. They sell dirt here by the yard. With stone, they weigh it and tell me a ton is roughly a yard. I'm thinking that is a BIG "roughly" depending on size and type of stone.

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Not going to put 22 tons on any tandem axle dump truck I'm familiar with. Around here, tri-axles regularly haul 20 tons.

A ton and a half per yard is real close.. WITH SAND AND STONE PRODUCTS....other materials with varying densities will be different.

Last edited by sprkplug; 05/15/15 06:35 AM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
T
Since you guys are talking rock and roads, I have a question. I went to the Kubota dealer and looked @ a piece of equipment that when drug behind the tractor, it will turn or roll over the gravel and is used for farm road repair. Who here has used one? I think it is a Land Pride and is painted orange to match the tractor. There was another one they had, different brand and heaver built and a $1,000.00 higher in price, I think it was painted yellow ? Sorry but I am getting forgetful when it comes to the name of maker or the equipment frown And does this thing work worth a dam, will it save me in the cost of hauling in more rock? Or smooth out farm pasture roads?

Thanks

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
It was different than a box scraper or drag harrow? Maybe a grader/scraper?

I remember seeing a thing called a "Road Boss Grader" advertised in the Nov/Dec issue of PBM that sounds like what you are describing.

[Linked Image]
TGW1 #411386 05/15/15 08:34 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Since you guys are talking rock and roads, I have a question. I went to the Kubota dealer and looked @ a piece of equipment that when drug behind the tractor, it will turn or roll over the gravel and is used for farm road repair. Who here has used one? I think it is a Land Pride and is painted orange to match the tractor. There was another one they had, different brand and heaver built and a $1,000.00 higher in price, I think it was painted yellow ? Sorry but I am getting forgetful when it comes to the name of maker or the equipment frown And does this thing work worth a dam, will it save me in the cost of hauling in more rock? Or smooth out farm pasture roads?

Thanks

Tracy

These are graders and work well for clay based roads. Not good for maintaining rock roads.

The best road maintenance tool is a blade. A good one should allow you to rotate the blade forward to cut and backwards to smooth. This is is a must tractor tool and much more versatile than a a grader. Secondarily it must tilt so you can cut ditches. Thirdly it must angle so you can move the dirt from crown of the road into the wheel trenches that develop. With a blade and some experience a person can do on a tractor what a motor grader can do.

Land pride makes good equipment. I always go for the most rugged device I can afford and still tear stuff up. Don't go cheap on tractor implements.

I can take my blade every year and rework my stone roads perfectly to recreate a crown and clean ditches and smooth out everything.

http://www.landpride.com/products/124/rbt40-series-rear-blades

This is the rear blade I have but I have a big tractor. You dont need to get something this large unless you have a tractor over 70hp and are going to work it hard.

Then add top and tilt to your tractor and life is good smile

Last edited by Swiss; 05/15/15 08:41 AM.

2.5 Acre Pond
T
T
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Not going to put 22 tons on any tandem axle dump truck I'm familiar with. Around here, tri-axles regularly haul 20 tons.

Wow, I read 18 wheeler......not tandum axle dump truck. My bad. Lol.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Tbar, it's likely my error. I'm not sure what we're considering a "tandem" to be. To me, a tandem is a dump truck, but there are certainly tandem semi dump trailers also! grin

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I have a box scraper and a blade, but I use the box for everything except filling the wheel tracks. I need an angle for that. If I'm not mistaken, the Road Boss Grader has angled cutters, which to me would make it directional...in other words it has a leading and a trailing edge. Interesting.

http://www.roadboss.org/

T
T
Sparkie, that's it, the yellow one and yes it was the road boss. cost was $2,400 versis the landpride @ $1400.00. The road boss was way heavier built.
Bill, I did not remember seeing it in PBM , but like I said I am getting more forgetful these days. smile
I was looking @ these to rebuild my roads. They need rebuilding.

Thanks

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 05/15/15 11:18 AM. Reason: additions

Tracy
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Tracy, if you get the road boss I would be interested in hearing how it performs for you?

T
T
No problem Sparks, With all the rain we have had, the roads have become pretty rutted.

Tracy

Tracy
W
W
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Tbar, it's likely my error. I'm not sure what we're considering a "tandem" to be. To me, a tandem is a dump truck, but there are certainly tandem semi dump trailers also! grin

Yeah my bad too. Around here we call regular dump trucks "tandem trucks".

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
OP Offline
After further research, I've come across some material called SB-2 gravel which is crushed granite and it seems everyone raves about how well it packs, disperses water, etc.

It appears to be the standard here in the south for road bases.

Anyone heard of/used this stuff?

Trying to find some prices for it now...

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I have a roadboss and I have been very pleased with its performance. Most of my pasture roads are hard clay, after heavy rains we get some erosion on them along with tire ruts, the roadboss does an excellent job of leveling out the road and filling in the ruts, sometime you have to go over them in both directions since the blades are angled. We also have some gravel roads, this will pull the gravel from the edges to center, and really makes the road look good, however, then you do have alot of loose rock and gravel that needs some repacking. This is a very heavy, well built piece of equipment, the owner delivered it himself and was very good about showing me how to adjust the blades for best use.

S
S
Originally Posted By: fishinglth
I have a roadboss and I have been very pleased with its performance. Most of my pasture roads are hard clay, after heavy rains we get some erosion on them along with tire ruts, the roadboss does an excellent job of leveling out the road and filling in the ruts, sometime you have to go over them in both directions since the blades are angled. We also have some gravel roads, this will pull the gravel from the edges to center, and really makes the road look good, however, then you do have alot of loose rock and gravel that needs some repacking. This is a very heavy, well built piece of equipment, the owner delivered it himself and was very good about showing me how to adjust the blades for best use.

Good report on your success with the Roadboss. I dont see how you could cut a ditch with this piece of equipment could you? I Still like the flexibility of a blade as the best all around tool to perform road maintenance if you were limited to purchasing one device. .

Last edited by Swiss; 05/15/15 01:37 PM.

2.5 Acre Pond
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think part of it comes down to the definition of "maintenance". If the road is regularly maintained, and the stone is fairly loose, then a blade works great. If it's been awhile, then I prefer the added weight of a box scraper that enables a bigger bite, and cutting depth.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:36 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images