Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shorthose, Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, RogersTailgate, jpsdad), 858 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#404787 03/21/15 03:21 PM
V
OP Offline
V
So slowly I've been taking control of my pond and I think I'm ready to stock!

In my 1/2 acre pond currently there are 2-3 large Koi, 6 grass carp, potentially some black catfish, and several hundred (if not thousands) of goldfish.

I'd like to be able to fish in the pond and know the goldfish need a predator.

I'm thinking of stocking LMB and BG and given the current population I'm not sure I'd need anything else this year.

So a couple of questions given this: 1) what should I consider stocking and in what quantity? 2) any recommendations on a fishery in the Ashland, VA area?

I had bad algae problems the first year, better second, and hoping for even better this year. I also have a fair amount of grass (hence the GC).

Thanks!

I'm curious, how big are those gold fish? When I was growing up a neighbor had a pond full of them and some were easily a pound to pound and a half.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
V
OP Offline
V
Hey Bill.

They are "normal" size for the most part. I see a few that are getting bigger, but most are minnow size. Perfect bait!

I see yer in Virginia so I am not sure how warm your summertime water temp gets...FWIW I would at least think about some of the smaller mouth gap predator options with that kind of forage, like SMB, YP and WE, if yer water doesn't get too hot in the summer..... but I am not a pro. One will be along soon I am sure to offer some thoughts. Do you have a specific goal in mind, i.e. always wanted to raise LMB, BG, etc?

Good Luck!

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/21/15 08:33 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
K
K
Carolina Hatchery will be at BPS on April 11. They sell bass and bg. and are good people.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Yo Kenc - long time, good to see you posting again.

Any updates? Keep us in the loop - miss you around here amigo.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

kenc #404953 03/22/15 08:45 PM
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted By: kenc
Carolina Hatchery will be at BPS on April 11. They sell bass and bg. and are good people.

Yeah, I found them when Googling, unfortunately that day won't work for me. BUMMER!

V
OP Offline
V
Actually....I might be able to make the Caroline Hatchery work. smile

They recommend the following for a 1/2 acre pond, what do you guys think???

350 1-3 Bluegill
150 1-3" Shellcracker
50 3-5 Catfish
50 3" Largemouth Bass
3 Lbs. Fathead Minnows
$380.00

Given that I have so many goldfish, I'm not sure I need the Minnows.

Anyway, what do you think? What about Bill's comments about smaller mouth gap fish?

B
B
Vaaccess -

That recommendation seems high for a 1/2 acre pond - specifically the 50 catfish and 50 largemouth bass. 100 predators will dine on your goldfish and the new forage fish right quick perhaps.

What are your goals for the pond?

Do you want big bass?

Do you want catfish for eating?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IMO you really need larger bass (5"-8") so they can right away start eating the smallest goldfish(GF). Initially I would omit all but a few of the bgill (20-25)and shellcracker(RES)(20-25). BG & RES are forage fish and since you have lots of goldfish at this point you don't need more forage fish. Add just enough BG-RES to establish some breeders. Then as the GF are reduced the BG-RES numbers should increase.

You might want to add the FHM to provide the bass some food right away so they grow to the 5"-8" sizes and can then eat GF. Also consider adding a few more bass (+5-15) to provide extra predation of the goldfish so you more quickly reduce GF numbers. Then remove some bass (10-25) when goldfish are few or scarce to allow the BG RES to continue reproducing and adding more of themselves. If you are not going to clean and eat catfish do not add them. You can always add them later if needed.

Initially you may have to help the bass reduce goldfish. You can catch goldfish with small hooks and worms or doughballs for bait. Baited minnow traps work good for removing smaller goldfish. If you have lots of goldfish, your water is likely also turbid from all of them actively working the bottom for food. As you get the goldfish numbers reduced to a few the water should become clearer.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/28/15 08:52 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
V
OP Offline
V
Ok, let's start with my goals. I want a ecosystem that sustains itself well enough. I'm fine doing this or that, adding fish every year to re-balance a bit, but don't want to go overboard. I don't plan to pellet feed except maybe with kids that want to throw some food out or something just for fun.

While I do plan to fish, I don't think I'll fish it all the time. I honestly hadn't considered eating the fish, but I guess it makes sense to do so. It's not a goal, but something I would try. I typically eat more cold-water fish. (tuna, sea bass, salmon, etc)

I do agree that the quantities seemed excessive honestly and appreciate that feedback.

I'm fine skipping the catfish for now as well, especially since I think I might have one or two anyway.

So it would seem something more like this?

25 1-3" Bluegill
25 1-3" Shellcracker
0 Catfish
25 3" Largemouth Bass
15 4-6 Largemouth Bass
3 Lbs. Fathead Minnows

BTW...A couple of things I forgot to mention in general.
1) We have two very large Koi (one died last year)
2) We only have a couple of box turtles in the area.
3) I want to help promote a balanced environment to reduce grass (why I added the grass carp last year) and reduce algae imbalance that can happen easily.
4) I add "good" bacteria and have been adding coloring to the pond to help reduce UV light to the grass.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Vaaccess; 03/28/15 09:15 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Your stocking plan appears much better IMO based on your goals. You may have to look around for a few larger bass 4"-6" (optional) and adding them I think will be beneficial. If you can't find the larger bass then just stock 55-65 3" bass and increase FHMinnows to 5 lbs. When bass have gold fish numbers so you rarely see a small goldfish then remove 20 bass. They are good pretty eating especially when you catch them in cooler water of Apr-May, Oct-Nov. Try a few.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
V
OP Offline
V
Ugh. So I missed Carolina Hatchery's route because I was on vacation.

I called Zetts in WV and they have a $500 Min + $100 Delivery fee to me.

I exchanged some emails with Mid-Atlantic stocking from NY, they deliver to within a couple of hours of my home, but not close enough honestly.

Do you guys know of any other places I should consider that might deliver to the Central VA area? I may consider driving, but have a hard time fitting in 4+ hours of driving with family stuff that's going on...

Thanks!

Lunker
Lunker
Always make time for your fish - driving is worth it! Take the family, I bet they'd have a blast at the hatchery. My Dad would have had to cuff me and drag me back to the car I'd wager.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

V
OP Offline
V
Yeah, ideally it would be great to do that, but weekdays are not possible and weekends are swamped. Unfortunately I just wouldn't be able to make it happen for a few months at the earliest given everything going on.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images