Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,953
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (phinfan, DrLuke, catscratch, jludwig), 1,408 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I thought it would be intersting to see what session was most inspiring or applicable to folks current pond situation. For my family they were:

Grant- He really liked the Building Waterfowl Habitat session by Dave Sefton. We've already talked about several possible things we could do to enhance our waterfowl hunting experiences on the pond. He also liked the wood duck boxes with cameras, we will be adding that to one or two of our nesting boxes as well.

Gracie- She was I intrigued by the cool amenities Nate and the guys build and all the potential fun things that can be done. She also is really looking forward to the TV show coming up in April.

Connie- She liked the cages and out of the box things that Condello and Lusk talked about. Feed training, fish eating out of your hand, and those type of things all interest her.

Myself- I liked the technical discussions around aeration, feeding programs and methods. I also liked Brian's discussion on solar power as I have several potential projects I'd like to do which would have been difficult or cost prohibitive to get power out to.

What things interested each of you that could be applied to your pond situation? Thanks.

Bryan

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I would have a hard time picking any out, especially on the Saturday lineup. But, Nate Herman's really was fantastic. For a kid who was too shy to even introduce himself at the first conference years ago, he, Justin and the rest of the Herman's sure have had a positive effect on Pond Boss.

One thing that really struck me was at the Thursday night "dinner with the stars." Lynda and I got in later than planned and crashed the party. I walked into that room and I experienced a feeling like I've never felt before. I knew all but a couple of the approximate 40 people in the room. These are all people who I associate with really fun times at the conferences, on fishing trips, or at Pond Boss gatherings at our ponds and homes. It was just an incredible feeling of contentment and comfort.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Even though the SDSU consortium was most informative with regards to the Grand Lake project, I can't discount Bruce Condello's ideas on his community lake with regards to raising bait and conditioning fish to react or not react to certain lures. In addition to that, I was impressed with Craig Upstrom 's raising shrimp in freshwater ponds in Weatherford, TX.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I liked several but would have to pick the Grand Lake project the most. grin

I did not like the one I gave on Legal matters but that was a Bob pick as a necessary part of what should be offered. frown

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest

I did not like the one I gave on Legal matters but that was a Bob pick as a necessary part of what should be offered. frown

Eric -- I have to seriously disagree with you on that one!

One of the first things we are doing when we get home later this week will be to change insurance agent for our WV property. You and the two ladies really brought up some extremely important things Lynda and I had not considered before.

We are going back to an agent we've known for years, and who handles our property in VA. When we first moved across the state line from VA to WV our previous agent wasn't licensed in WV. We were forced to change to an agent 50 miles away. We've never even met him. Our VA agent is about 15 miles away, and now licensed to sell in WV. I'm sure he'll be glad to come out for a fish fry.

Thanks again for giving that presentation.

Ken

A
A
Ewest, I too found your legal presentation quite valuable. We begin moving dirt in a week or two and I need to get my insurance & legal issues in order. One thing I worry about is building nice amenities that get classified an attractive nuisance under the law. My place isn't near a public road, bus stop, or even visible to any houses, but still I worry.

Beyond that, I really enjoyed Grand Lake discussion, the Bugman presentation, the freshwater prawn talk...But truthfully, I got something out of almost every presentation. Even the deer guy had some insights applicable to fisheries!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: ewest

Eric -- I have to seriously disagree with you on that one!

One of the first things we are doing when we get home later this week will be to change insurance agent for our WV property. You and the two ladies really brought up some extremely important things Lynda and I had not considered before.

We are going back to an agent we've known for years, and who handles our property in VA. When we first moved across the state line from VA to WV our previous agent wasn't licensed in WV. We were forced to change to an agent 50 miles away. We've never even met him. Our VA agent is about 15 miles away, and now licensed to sell in WV. I'm sure he'll be glad to come out for a fish fry.

Thanks again for giving that presentation.

Ken

Eric,
I would have to agree with Ken. Even though the legal side is not something I relish to think about and spend my money on, it is something that is absolutely necessary (this day and time) and I also plan to contact my agent this week to rectify. Sorry, I did not get a chance to meet you. So much to see in such a short period of time.
Charlie

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks guys and that is exactly why Bob picks the topics.

Have the insurance company/agent get you a trained person to do a risk assessment and then walk the property with them and go over your specifics and plans. Then be sure you know exactly what is covered and what is not covered. Ask your agent for an overview of the law of your state on recreational property owners liability. An internet search for that topic for your state is a good place to start - but don't count on internet info alone.

Last edited by ewest; 02/23/15 03:26 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I thought it spoke well of the presenters and their topics as I definitely got something useful out of each session. Eric, I found your session prodding me to evaluate my legal/insurance matters to protect what I've been working so hard to build. Not something that is enjoyable for me but one of the things that is certainly necessary. As Ken alludes to above I think there is something to be said for knowing your agent. Not that they need to treat me different than other customers but I think it would help to forthcoming about what's cover and what isn't. We had been talking about this recently as we don't even really know which person at the agency would be considered our agent. We will evaluate our options in the near future. Thanks.

Bryan

T
T
I really enjoyed all of the 2 days of speakers. I came to realize I do not have enough structure in the pond. And being a fisherman before I was a pond guy, I built the bottom and the underwater edges of the pond with structure. Just not enough structure. I also looked into aeration with 3 of the aeration companies. I got a quote for $20,000.00 to aerate 3.5 acres. Boy oh boy !! I did not have this amount in my budget. Got to find a better way for less $. I liked the duck hunting set up where forage fish were added to the flooded corn stubble fields and allowed to grow during duck hunting season and then added to the pond as additional forage. And I will be adding wood duck boxes to the pond banks asap. I enjoyed meeting people from around the Great USA. Pond and fishing people smile
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I liked Dan Van Schaik.. He was last on the agenda.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I also looked into aeration with 3 of the aeration companies. I got a quote for $20,000.00 to aerate 3.5 acres.

Tracy are you serious?
Wow...that sounds really high.
I've had estimates if I remember correctly of between $5K-$7K for my 4.5 acre pond.

I guess it depends how much aeration?

Jezzz $20K seems crazy for 3.5 acre pond.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Originally Posted By: Zep
I also looked into aeration with 3 of the aeration companies. I got a quote for $20,000.00 to aerate 3.5 acres.

Tracy are you serious?
Wow...that sounds really high.
I've had estimates if I remember correctly of between $5K-$7K for my 4.5 acre pond.

I guess it depends how much aeration?

Jezzz $20K seems crazy for 3.5 acre pond.

I agree, Zep!

I have around $2500 invested in my 2 acre pond and that's with compressor, fan, 4 air stations and over 700' of weighted tubing. I was originally quoted around $3500 but I saved a lot with Ted Lea's help, building my own compressor housing and installing the system myself.

I know there's a lot of variables we may be unaware of but $20k is a chunk!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
E
E
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that I was most impressed with the willingness to share information. Even though most of the talks were sometimes over my head it was inspiring to say the least. Pond boss was very overwhelming with all the kind people. I can not thank everyone enough for the comradery and encouragement. The pond (passion) bug has bit me and you guys are helping with the symptoms. smile As of right now I don't want a cure just more bites. Thank you everyone again.

Eric Smith
Tall Texan from Orange

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It never goes away Eric. These guys saved me thousands on a rip off job helping me out. Now I'm Getting to point of offering advice now. I surprise myself sometimes talking to people about ponds. You really take for granted what you've learned till your talking to somebody ready to get that 1/4 acre crappie pond started. Lol.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
E
E
Thanks John. Were you at the expo? If so, I apologize for not remembering. I tried to tell everybody I would not remember their names. smile I have plenty of questions so get ready.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I really enjoyed all of the 2 days of speakers. I came to realize I do not have enough structure in the pond. And being a fisherman before I was a pond guy, I built the bottom and the underwater edges of the pond with structure. Just not enough structure. I also looked into aeration with 3 of the aeration companies. I got a quote for $20,000.00 to aerate 3.5 acres. Boy oh boy !! I did not have this amount in my budget. Got to find a better way for less $. I liked the duck hunting set up where forage fish were added to the flooded corn stubble fields and allowed to grow during duck hunting season and then added to the pond as additional forage. And I will be adding wood duck boxes to the pond banks asap. I enjoyed meeting people from around the Great USA. Pond and fishing people smile
Tracy

Something doesn't sound quite right about that. The vendors at the conference are all very trusted and honest suppliers who provide excellent products and services. From an outside perspective, I'd go back to them with more information.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that I was most impressed with the willingness to share information. Even though most of the talks were sometimes over my head it was inspiring to say the least. Pond boss was very overwhelming with all the kind people. I can not thank everyone enough for the comradery and encouragement. The pond (passion) bug has bit me and you guys are helping with the symptoms. smile As of right now I don't want a cure just more bites. Thank you everyone again.

Eric Smith
Tall Texan from Orange

Eric,
Welcome to Pond Boss....tons of good info and helpful folks here...
Stickem'

T
T
I don't want to say who told me the cost estimate, but it was an honest quote. It was one of the vendors. And it was estimated @ $20,000. Maybe because the bottom of my pond has an underwater road bed that separates two 10 to 12 foot deep areas, and two shallow ends with 6' depths. 9 to 12 underwater diffusers along with solar power to handle them. But he did say I might not need any aeration for the first 8 yr's of the pond since it was a new pond. I don't know but I am trying to learn. I am the worst handyman you guys will meet but if the cost is that high I may have to figure it out for myself as a DIY project.
Tracy

Tracy
Tracy, did you get any pics of your pond before it filled? I personally think the recreational potential for your pond is tremendous. The road beds you had built, and the way you joined them, are gonna be a dream scenario for both catchability and production.

AL

T
T
Al, I think I might have a picture but not sure. I will look and see.
Thanks Al, and I enjoyed meeting u and look forward to inviting you to come see (with fly rod) just as soon as the fish get to be fun to get on line.
Tracy

Tracy
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hi Eric,

Good to see you found your way onto the site. I enjoyed talking with you and it sounds like you have some great opportunities with your ponds. I'll give you a call when I get back to Michigan from vacation. Thanks.

Bryan

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I think the key words in the quote discussion is "Solar powered"

My guess is that by the time you get serious about needing aeration things will have changed, either in technology, or what you need at the time, so that costs are considerably lower.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by DrLuke - 04/25/24 01:05 PM
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM