Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#396644 01/06/15 02:22 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey all I have not been up to my pond in a while and the last time I was there early October. I set my air station to 4 hours a day in the evening. Well were going to get temps in the teens now for 3 or 4 days and my pump is in 8 feet of water? Do you all think this could be an issue with super cooling my water at 4 hours a day? I hope not I just haven't had the time to get back up there yet to turn it off. Just wondering what you all think? I have to 9 inch fusers running a Gast 0523 1/2hp pump in a 1 acre pond.

Thanks,
RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
BG and LMB are adapted to pretty cold temps all the way to Canada, so I think you're ok - but that's just my guess.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
RC51,

I am a bit deeper south than you are but last year my 1-7/8 acre pond froze over for 4-5 days during the cold spell we had but I kept my diffusers running 24/7...I have 3 stations of two-9" diffusers at each station, depth 6', 8', and around 9' without any visable affects on my LMB/CNBG/NBG/RE/CC/HSB/Cypres Trout or Rainbow Trout.

I'm not sure how this relates to your area but thought I would offer what I have seen here.

Data, Data, Data......

I subscribe!
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Couppedeville thanks for the info. That makes me feel a little better. As I have same type of fish you have! I just haven't made it back to the pond after hunting season started so I never got to turn my air off. Hopefully everything will be fine then as it's only running for 4 hours a day.

Thanks,
RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks TJ I appreciate the input!

RC

Lunker
Lunker
Absolutely - funny what we all consider cold weather...we're staring at -4 tonight, and I'm sure Dwight is 2-3x colder still. It's all relative I guess.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I guess my only concern would be if the system is still operating or not after 3 months without checking on it. That would be my curiosity.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah I know I am concerned about that also JKB! That's the one downfall of not living at your place! My electric bill says it's still working according to what they are billing me. I just hope it's actually working correctly. smile

RC

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Absolutely - funny what we all consider cold weather...we're staring at -4 tonight, and I'm sure Dwight is 2-3x colder still. It's all relative I guess.

Hey TJ your right. I am from Eagle River Wisconsin so I know real cold thats for sure! The thing I don't know is, is what the threshold is for cold water and still running a air station I guess? It's going to be in the teens for lows where my pond is and high's about 25 to 28. So just wasn't sure if that's ok or not to be running a air pump in the deepest part of my pond??? Even if it's only for 4 hours. I guess were gonna find out cause I can't get up there to turn it off anyway!

RC

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The main concern that I have for your aeration in 1 acre for 4 hr per day in the deep zone and water chilling during winter is for the CNBG and RES who are both cold water sensitive. For winter operation in your area and a relatively new pond, I would set the timer to run 1 hr per day and no more than 2 hr per day. This will give your 1 acre just enough mixing to keep the pond system healthy during winter while not over chilling the pond. As far south are you are (AK) and lack of extended snow cover, I would not even run the aerator from mid Nov to late Feb early Mar. Your snow and often ice will melt frequently during a normal winter and create natural open areas for phytoplankton growth to make lots of DO during sunny days. Your newish pond will consume DO slowly during winter unless it has lots of tree leaf inputs during fall. Tree leaf decay consumes a large portion of DO loss even during winter. Look for a how to winter aeration article by esshup and myself in the Jan-Feb 2015 Pond Boss magazine which should arrive soon.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/07/15 09:57 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks Bill last year I had it on 2 hours and your right it worked great but I have not had a chance to get back up there to turn it down. The only reason I left it on last year was because I did not want to go through the whole start up procedure again but I have learned since then from you all that I don't have to worry about that in cold water in the spring I can just start it up no worries. I may just have to make a run up there this weekend and get that thing turned off!!

Thanks for your input!!

RC

Lunker
Lunker
Crap I missed that you have CNBG. Sorry RC - I should have caught that - I thought you had NBG.

D
D
RC51 I'm from Eagle River, Wisconsin too small world. I would comment on your original post but I just don't know enough about the topic yet sorry. I just saw we were from the same hometown and had to say something.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Diver Cody
RC51 I'm from Eagle River, Wisconsin too small world. I would comment on your original post but I just don't know enough about the topic yet sorry. I just saw we were from the same hometown and had to say something.

Cody,

Wow that is to funny! Heck most folks give me a look like where the heck is that?? LOL! When did you grow up there? I graduated High School there in 1986. Northland Pines baby!! We lived just outside of town on hwy 45 just past Catfish lake about a mile.

RC

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No funny looks from me. I went to College in Stevens Point and have relatives in Fifield and Park Falls.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
No funny looks from me. I went to College in Stevens Point and have relatives in Fifield and Park Falls.

Really? That's awesome! I was born in Stevens Point we shortly moved right after to Eagle River! I was born in Wood county! Wow small world for sure!

Point Beer! Not many folks have a clue what that is down here in Arkansas... LOL

RC

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, that was the beer of choice for parties. I forget what the kegs cost, but it was cheap! Somewhere I've got a picture of me standing next to a buck that I killed that was taken with it hanging from the tree in front of the dorm. It stayed there for a week until we could get time to take it to a buddies house in Madison to get it thawed out enough to cut it up.

How many colleges could you do that at today?? laugh

I learned really, really quick that the Walleye out of the Wisconsin river there weren't fit to eat. sick They tasted just like the paper mill smelled.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Yep, that was the beer of choice for parties. I forget what the kegs cost, but it was cheap! Somewhere I've got a picture of me standing next to a buck that I killed that was taken with it hanging from the tree in front of the dorm. It stayed there for a week until we could get time to take it to a buddies house in Madison to get it thawed out enough to cut it up.

How many colleges could you do that at today?? laugh

I learned really, really quick that the Walleye out of the Wisconsin river there weren't fit to eat. sick They tasted just like the paper mill smelled.

Esshup,

Your right about the WE! My Grand father used to catch them and then he would put them in his pond. About 6 months later in his pond they were fine! Once he put them in a decent BOW they cleaned right up, but you did not want them out of the river!! smile And your right about the deer! Heck we used to hang deer for weeks in a shack we made till we could get around to cleaning them! Best free freezer there ever was!! smile

RC

D
D
I lived and grew up on Dollar Lake near the hockey arena. I graduated in 2002 but I'm sure you know my father. Everybody seems to know my father and if you ever went near the holiday gas station you for sure know him. That was his version of the bar he would sit there drink coffee and B.S. for hours on end. So I was an Eagle River boy from 1984-2002 then I was in the military and now down here where I just purchased a home.

You guys ever see that movie 2012? At the end of it there is a line that the effect of it is, "one way or another, we all have relatives in Wisconsin." I'm beginning to think this is a true statement that or we are such unique individuals we leave a lasting impression on those we meet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images