Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,954
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (ewest, Drago, Shorthose, TSan06, phinfan, DrLuke), 1,446 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31947 06/08/07 02:27 PM
G
Gandy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Greetings;
I think I have a solar system pieced together, but am having problems locating a 12V air pump in the 2CFM / 20 PSI range. Camn anybody recommend a manufacturer?
I've tried the Gant and Vertex web pages but cannot find anything in the 12V category.

Thanks for any inputs;

Gandy

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I would be interested in details of your solar powered system. thanks

Frank

Book Owner and Magazine Subscriber 3 acre pond central GA
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Gandy,
I just recently researched solar aeration and have some thoughts regarding this. Keep in mind I am NOT an expert and hopefully you will receive some expert feedback.

You mentioned in another thread that your pond is 11 feet deep. You need 1 PSI for every 27" of water. Or approximately .5 PSI per foot. So for 11 feet deep you would only need about 5 to 6 psi to aerate the deepest section of your pond. So if you found a compressor that produced your 2 to 3 CFM at 10 PSI it would probably be more than adequate.

During my research I was unable to find any 12V air pump that would produce adequate CFM at any significant PSI. Some would produce adequate CFM at zero PSI but one you began adding in PSI the CFM dropped significantly. Or conversely if I found a 12V pump that produced adequate PSI then the CFM would be so low it was essentially worthless. I did manage to find one 12V pump that can handle the chore but the amp requirement was HUGE (80 AMPS), which kills a solar alternative (big amps = lots of solar panels).

Here's what I think that you will find:

1. In order to get the required CFM at an adequate PSI you will have to step up to a 115V air pump.

2. You are going to have to scale your solar system WAY up in order to run a 115V system for any significant hours per day. You will need either a LOT more 30 watt panels or you will need to step up to panels with a high watt out put ($$$), plus you will need to add a linear current booster. All of which significantly increases the cost of the system.

As I said I'm no expert just a pond monkey that did some research. Hopefully one of the experts will weigh in and give you a better answer.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
G
Gandy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Jeff;
Thanks for the research and feedback. The more I look into it, the more costly is gets. The pump is the only Hitch, as I thought I had the rest figured out.

Frank - This was my thoughts: Harbor freight has a 45W solar panel set-up with 12V regulator for $200. My plans were to run the solar through the regulator into 2 parralled deep cycle batteries, the to the pump. From here, I would go with weighted hose to a single diffuser. It was looking affordable until I hit the pump barrier. I could go with an inverter, but as Jeff pointed out, the power (watt) requirement for the solar panel would be astronomically expensive.

Thanks again for your inputs and please let me know if you all hear of anything on your end. Until then, I'll keep brain-storming to come up with something.

Gandy

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gandy:
Jeff;
Thanks for the research and feedback. The more I look into it, the more costly is gets. The pump is the only Hitch, as I thought I had the rest figured out.
That was my conclusion. Solar aeration is not cheap period. Until someone invents a pump that can produce enough CFM at 10 PSI and run on minimal watts a solar aeration system is not gonna be a cheap alternative.

But when you don't have power at your property you only have your choice of a solar system or a windmill system and then you have to weight the advantages and disadvantages of each.

That's what I'm currently in the process of doing.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
when I first started messing around with aeration I hooked up a 12 tire pump, one of the real small ones and could easily run a small section of hose that I perforated with a hand held wire brush, for 3 hours on one deep cycle battery. I think it would run longer but the motor would get hot so I would shut it off. The pump I was using I believe was a diaphragm pump that was very cheaply made and didn't have sealed bearings of any kind. I cant remember what the actual amp draw of the motor while running was. I just thought I would pass my experience along. I have no idea if it was enough air flow for one 9" diffuser but I am thinking that it would have been since mine was a crude design with varying size holes to produce the bubbles

A little snow, Please!
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Guys, I have made a solar aeration system that works pretty well although not completely 24/7 yet. I can say you won't get away with building a system for cheap. I'm running 95 watts right now on a gast 115vac pump rated at .55 amps with an inverter and a 12v timer. My panels though are setup with a solar tracker that significantly boosts efficiency over a fixed array. I've been running my system since around January and have really been pleased with it but haven't achieved 24/7 use with it yet. The deep cycle battery I have can't make it all night but the panels during the day do a pretty good job at keeping up with battery drain. My plans are to add another panel and battery in parallel which I think would meet the power demand but have to finish school this summer and save some nickels again to afford it.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Bass, can you give us more systems specs?

Specifically,

1. Which model Gast are you running?

2. How many and what type (or at least volt and amp production) solar panels are you using?

3. Inverter type or specs?

4. Battery specs (amp hour)?

5. Diffuser being used?

6. Tubing size and length between pump and diffuser?

7. Depth at which you have placed the diffuser?

8. Size of pond?

9. System cost?

10. Water turn over rate (how many times per day that your pond is being circulated, if you know?

I would really like to hear more details Bass. The solar aeration topic keeps coming up and any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. The cheapest solar solution that I have come across so far for my place is at about $3,500 complete. And that does not include a tracker.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
what are the cost comparisons between a solar powered aerator and a windmill powered?

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
1. Which model Gast are you running?
GAST, #1532-P104-G597X ($40)http://www.candhsales.biz/cgi-bin/shop991/shop.pl/SID=1970010722/page=REGS.htm#PC2402

2. How many and what type (or at least volt and amp production) solar panels are you using?
total watts 95 watts--80w Sharp panel (approx. $450 off ebay) and 15w panel ($70) from Northern Tool (Later I will replace the 15w panel with another 80w)

3. Inverter type or specs?
85 watts i think from walmart ($20)

4. Battery specs (amp hour)?
115 amp hour also from walmart ($60)

5. Diffuser being used?
Flex-air from Aquaticeco
($20)

6. Tubing size and length between pump and diffuser?
regular garden hose--5/8 inch in think running about 60 feet

7. Depth at which you have placed the diffuser?
approximately 7 ft depth in the middle; deepest portion of my pond is 9 ft

8. Size of pond?
1 acre

9. System cost?
around $800-900

10. Water turn over rate (how many times per day that your pond is being circulated, if you know?
not really sure but definately enough to keep my HSB from dying; I'm running my pump 10 hrs/day for now until I can later install another panel and battery which then I should be capable of 24/7.

11. Other components
The tracker(LED3XS24Vc3)I'm using works really well. It's cheap ($35) and cool to watch move with the sun and ties in with the rest of the system. http://www.redrok.com/electron.htm#led3x
The timer is 12v (around $50 depending on seller). I'd have to look around again to find where I got it.

I can't find my pics of my setup right now but I'll try and post some tomorrow. Solar power can be quite a cost but it is possible and definately cheaper piecing a system together yourself than buying something commercial. It just takes a little thinking to put it together.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great Info, Bass!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

G
Gandy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
BassAggie - Good stuff, it definately helped with some alternatives for me. I'll keep you posted when I build a system.......

Later;
Gandy

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Here are a couple of pics of my setup. I forgot that I haven't taken any from the inside of my storage box. I'll have work on posting some of those.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x280/ABaskin21/DSC00627.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x280/ABaskin21/DSC00631.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:07 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by DrLuke - 04/25/24 01:05 PM