Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Snipe, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil), 1,071 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#392076 11/08/14 09:15 PM
OP Offline
Looking through a few options on small water crafts that would be easy to transport pond to pond. Anyone using a hobie kayak? or if someone has better options I`m all ears.

Forced to work born to Fish
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Snakebite, for the size of fish you catch ya might wanna consider a 15 or16' canoe.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
OP Offline
This would be more for BCP, LMB, and BG fishing. I dount I would do any catfishing from it, they slime the boats too much.

SB, we've have an Ocean Kayak for 4-5 years now, and it's been great. Fairly priced, and very easy to transport in the bed of a truck.

A plastic coffee can with concrete and an eye bolt make a perfect light anchor for yaks.

AL

OP Offline
Thanks Al. I'll have to look through the different models. Let me ask this are you running any accessories trolling motor, fish finder, live wells, etc?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I have a Heritage Featherlite 9.5'. Very stable.

I've been drooling after a Hobie for years now...just can't pull the trigger on that price point. Specifically this one:

http://www.hobiefishing.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-12/

I also can't force myself to settle for the lower quality models.

So I don't have a kayak.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I have an Ascend 12 footer, sit on top. Very stable and extremely versatile on a small body of water. Can really move. It can get interesting if there's wind and/or waves. You can get spun around while you're working a lure. A lot of guys have customized their kayaks and something they like to use are plastic crates. Tie them down and you can stow a lot of gear.

S
S
Very cool kayak. The video shows how the pedal system works.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
OP Offline
Looking through these kayaks, I would need it to be a sit on not a sit in. That Ascend looks good, hard to beat that price. The other I like was the Hobie mirage 17t which a two or single seater.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
A draw back is the single seat thing. There are plenty of times I'd love to have my son or wife along, but just can't with this. I actually traded a two person aluminum canoe for it. That canoe was a terrible accident waiting to happen.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Have you looked into float tubes as well? Depending on the size of the pond, that might be something to consider.

Originally Posted By: Snakebite
Thanks Al. I'll have to look through the different models. Let me ask this are you running any accessories trolling motor, fish finder, live wells, etc?

No we're not. My wife wanted something that was easy for her to handle, and we could just leave on the patio, so no accessories.

dlowrance, I'm right there with you. I like the NuCanoe and Jackson models, but I could never pull the trigger on yaks that cost that much.

AL

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I favor the sit-on-top models for a pond and fishing.

I have a couple of lower end Pelican brand kayaks....a 9' and an 11'er...11' is a double sit on top. The 9'er a sit in. Not the most comfortable to fish out for any length of time if you've ever had back issues. They are very sensitive to fish out of...frustrating when throwing a spinner or crank bait can affect your steerage path....I'll never attempt to fish two people out of a double again.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: Snakebite

No we're not. My wife wanted something that was easy for her to handle, and we could just leave on the patio, so no accessories.

dlowrance, I'm right there with you. I like the NuCanoe and Jackson models, but I could never pull the trigger on yaks that cost that much.

Al, go borrow one from Brian so your wife can test one out to see how she likes it first.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sometimes canoe and Kayak stores have field days at local lakes where the public can try out different boats. You might want to see if there will be one in your area in spring.

Last edited by RAH; 11/11/14 05:57 AM.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Definetely sit on top

There are several brands that have a fishing oriented model.

Have fished saltwater grass flats in one, great b/c you can get off/ on boat relatively easily. Wade the flats for a bit, then pop back on. The one I used had rod holders a small cooler a place for tackle and a bait well.

S
S
Originally Posted By: stickem'
Not the most comfortable to fish out for any length of time if you've ever had back issues.

That is the problem in general I have with kayaks. My wife has one that she tools around the pond in and I have been in it, but for me they are just uncomfortable. It has a rod holder but I think she only actually fished out of it once. Usually just joy rides.

We have an aluminum 4 person pontoon paddle boat (Paddle King), but they are also a significant expense. Need to add a couple of rod holders, but otherwise it works well to fish out of in our pond. It is not light to drag in and out like a plastic kayak though. Ours stays in the water moored to the dock except gets taken out and put in the shed for winter. It is stable enough I can walk all the way around it. Sucks using it in the wind though. Sits up very high in the water so the wind blows it around badly. We put a half dozen permanent moorings in our pond so if it is windy we just paddle to the area we want to fish and tie up. When it is not windy it handles very well.

Not what most people would want to fish out of, but for us it sits up high in straight backed seats like sitting in a chair (we got the optional padded cushions). With my back that is what I need. Can also move around easily from the front to the back seat. It serves dual purpose for pleasure when we have guests and yet the flat platform works well for me fishing. We have the optional front table which works well to hold drinks and tackle box. We are kind of wimp anglers. grin

PK4400

Paddle King.com They also make small pontoon fishing boats.

Like I said, probably not what most people would want, but for our varied uses it suits us.

Last edited by snrub; 11/11/14 11:33 AM.

John

OP Offline
Snrub with that boat, I can see it would a pain going pond to pond. It does look comfy and with a trolling motor would be a enjoyable experience.
What I've learned pond fish get spooked too easily, up too high wearing bright colors and they run for hills. That's why I'm leaning towards a fishermen's kayak to be quieter and stealthy. I would like to have a few rod holders, a place to set a tackle box, fishfinder and a few back up rods, but also give me the option to stand up to make cast further if need be. As for a livewell or bait bucket I can do without, more or less use a floating fish basket possibly. If I plan on taking 3 friends then I would also need to look into something larger that everyone could enjoy.

S
S
Understand.

Wifes kayak is an Emotion Stealth Angler 11.

Might be more to your liking.
Emotion
Seemed a little better built and thicker bottom than some we looked at. She likes it.

Last edited by snrub; 11/11/14 02:01 PM.

John

Lunker
Lunker
I've submitted my letter to Santa for one of these, but doubt if it'll fit in his sleigh - or budget.
Regardless, it would be awesome for pond or lake fishing.
http://www.thrillon.com/tag/ultraskiff-360-one-of-the-coolest

OP Offline
Thats a awesome unique find Kelly. Thanks for the post. I would be very interested with some more testing and of coarse a price and product list of this of the fishing donut.

J
J
It depends on what qualities you need your boat for at the pond. I've had 6 boats at the pond which is 600 feet from the house. Two kayaks that are a pain to transport to the pond and too nice to leave there year around and too tipsy to be really comfortable in. Three flat bottom boats, one plastic that deteriorated from the sun, one fiberglass that was deteriorating from the sun and just to heavy to turn over when upside down for winter storage at the pond or to keep the rain out when not in use. And one wood that rotted from being turn upside down.

The boat that turned out best for my use is a light weight 12 aluminum john boat that I leave at the pond all of the time, won't deteriorate in year around weather, can be turned over with one finger, is extremely stable in the water, can hold several people if need be, and something I worry about is if someone or pet should fall through the ice I can move on the ice pushing the boat for rescue.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a 10 ft aluminum that I keep at the pond. I flip it over quickly and jump back. It is a great place for snakes to hang out. I haven't had any really close calls with them.

I once flipped it over and a young skunk came out. I lit out running with it right behind me. I don't think it was really chasing me. When I looked back it had stopped and was turning around and around spraying. Had to laugh.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...