Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,941
Members18,498
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
13 members (Sunil, catscratch, John Folchetti, BackyardKoi, Kanon M, Jward87, Knobber, ewest, jludwig, Willowwood, Lumberman1985, gautprod, Boondoggle), 867 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31844 04/30/07 10:36 AM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I've been considering aerating for a few years, and now that the pond's full, it might be time to move.

Has anyone used the cheap, black poly irrigation 1/2" or 3/4" ID) for the main line (underground)?

This would really drop the overall cost for me, as I need to pipe about 1000' (all of $175) of the stuff, from the barn, around the pond to the deeper areas. Any thoughts?

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Lunker
Lunker
3/4" id for 1000' is minimum size, watch for low lying areas where condensation might accumulate water in air line.

Until you get to the pond, use Poly pipe to save on cost. Then once in pond use self-sinking tubes as they will make your life easier.

my 0,02$...

Mario Paris,
Fish & Wildlife Management Technician, CEO of Canadianponds.ca Products
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
M. Paris...been considering that condensation thing. How do others avoid this? Seems inevitable, but what about a dryer, before it goes into the line? I really cannot avoid a low spot without routing the line in a strange (and much longer) way...

I can go with 3/4" black poly for not much more than the 0.5" stuff...but are you talking about water line or the (much lighter guage, and cheaper) irrigation tubing?

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Lunker
Lunker
Matt... Drying air might be consuming too much energy, and moisture may still remain.

I have installed low lying loops in 3/4" id, but it must be below frost line, it seems that air makes its way through the water accumulation inside the air line anyway (but it must create friction and some pressure loss, I just cant calculate that precisely..) eventually the low spot will fill with water and the air pressure will push the excess water further down the hill. A drain plug could be a solution (a valve and a tee, open the valve once in a while to flush the pipe... depends on the land shape I guess)

Go for the heavier stuff as it has less chances of being squished under a rock when you bury back the line. I use 100 psi, not the 75 psi.

Also, you could install one of those Koenders freeze kit near the compressor. They are filled with alcohol and when pressure builds up, assuming that ice has formed, a valve opens up and releases some alcohol, minutes later, the ice is gone and pressure resumes. Watch for a good pressure relief valve to protect your pump.

Monitor your pressure gauge to see if pressure is building up… in the end report your findings on this web site ;\)

Mario Paris,
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Not sure if I'll even go through with this, M. Paris.

Seems like adding more work to me, and wife keeps telling me to K.I.S.S....or she's asking for a kiss. Not zachary sure, there.

Around here, nary a pond has any form of aeration, summer or winter. It's kind of a double-edged sword, from what I gather. Start, and you better not stop...I travel quite a bit for work and the wife's not about to mess with something like this. Might just have to forgoe aeration, regardless of all the benefits.

Lunker
Lunker
Matt
If you feel your pond needs aeration, and the line stuff is too complicated.
Just go with a windmill. It wont be complicated and wont have to be far from the pond... best of all I noticed that my wife loves their look, maybe yours will too and get involved with choosing the colors?!!

They are built in Saskatchewan, Canada and are really tough and resistant to strong winds are even available in 25' tall unipole all of that backed by a 3 year warranty.

Do I sound like a salesguy or what?
Seriously Matt, good luck with your pond this summer!

Mario Paris,
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks Mario, might lean that direction...the wind never stops here on "Gobbler's Know".

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:16 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM