Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (gehajake, jmartin, Boondoggle, FireIsHot), 1,272 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I have recently purchased what we would call our dream property. Even though it has nothing on it yet LOL...Its all in my head at the moment, hopefully I can get all the great ideas out of my head and turn them into realities.

The stats and plan:
14 1/2 acres, 7 of which is completely wooded with lots of hardwoods, 4 wheeler trails etc. the other 7 1/2 is open pasture land. which is where I plan to dig the one acre pond that will be home to LMB & CNBG, and a swimming hole for the family, possibly a rope swing or zip line.

We plan on having a small farm. A few horses for the kids, a couple cows to keep in the butcher rotation, egg laying chics and eating chics.

To go along with the farm the barn and rail fence will be a must.

Last but not least, the home site will come.

I have not started anything yet. I plan to start trenching and running the underground electrical line when i get home from offshore and dig a few test holes for the pond.
I am also entertaining the idea of a second pond, half acre or so for catfish only. the intent is to keep the 1 acre pond as clean and nice as possible . I think it would be better to keep the mud stirring BC's out alson less competition for the bass.

Pics to come soon.

Feel free to chime in smile

If it was easy everybody would do it !!!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Sounds great! Keep in mind though, those horses and cows will need a few acres to graze....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
CONGRATS!

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
D
D
Well done. Congratulations. It will be a place for many great memory's for you and your family.

We just started our new home on our property. Lots of work but worth all the time.

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 06/15/14 07:53 PM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys...

Don, you're right about that. I sure do have my work cut out for me lol... But I know it will all be worth it when I see the big smiles on my 3 boys faces smile

Sprkplug: I'm planning on the 1 acre pond and 1 acre home site. That will leave me with about 5 1/2 acres for the farm animals. That should be ok right?? Especially if it's managed right.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Like ponds and fish, figuring the amount of pasture needed per head is subject to the "it depends" rule. I don't know anything about your location, but it's common here to allow 2-3 acres per head for adequate grazing. Also like ponds and fish, if you are willing to supplement with additional,(read $$$) feed and/or hay, you can get by with less.

I have seen poor pastures, or areas in drought, where 4-5 acres per head wasn't enough. Don't be fooled by the spring flush of grass....conditions change throughout the year.

Maybe you could ask around in your area, to see what is the norm?

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Don't be fooled by the spring flush of grass....conditions change throughout the year.

Amen to that, and remember that your livestock will eat just as much during the winter [even such as it is in La]. Just a WAG, but you'll almost certanly wind up buying a lot of hay during the winter months if you've got more than one cow on 4-5 acres. A lot of the stuff you read, about cow-to-acreage ratios, comes from big operations where there is a lot of rotational grazing, and often the cattle are moved onto winter pastures that have rested and refreshed for long periods before being regrazed. These ratios just don't always apply to smaller operations. Not trying to discourage you--but it can run into some money for feed if you're not prepared, and buying square bales can get expensive in a hurry, even for just a few cows.

BTW, if you're interested in dual purpose cattle that can finish well on grass, look up "red poll cattle"

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, thanks for all the good advice guys. Maybe I will go with just one cow LOL... I'm only trying to put my own grass fed beef in the freezer for my small family. I have read alot about it and read alot of the same things you guys are saying... I will definately just start out with one and see how it works for a couple of years.

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
A pic of the property, front 7 acres pasture and the back 7 are wooded

Attached Images
image.jpg
Last edited by Beaux; 06/21/14 11:45 PM.

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Couple pics.. Not much progress yet, but it's something LOL

Attached Images
image.jpg image.jpg

J
J
Beaux I can identify with your dream that was mine also 40 years ago, with an 8 1/2 acre hardwood tree woods that I built my house in and a couple fields one of which I built my pond on. Even at my age the dream is alive and well.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Looks like an exciting project Beaux!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Beaux I can identify with your dream that was mine also 40 years ago, with an 8 1/2 acre hardwood tree woods that I built my house in and a couple fields one of which I built my pond on. Even at my age the dream is alive and well.

John, that's the kind of thing I like to hear. Hopefully my wife and I will keep those dreams up for the family. smile

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
You titled this thread, "The Dream Chasing is Over"??? Dude, your dreams are just beginning!!! I love your enthusiasm and look forward to seeing you progress.

I would suggest you first contact your local NRCS agent at your area USDA office. This taxpayer supported agent will come out and suggest the best sites and feasibility for pond placement. Many will bore test holes and take soil samples to assess clay availability/depth too. All at no direct cost to you! Many NRCS agents know the best POND builders as well...though they are not allowed to recommend one, they are free to say who THEY would hire to build their own pond....

Have fun, dream big, and most of all, be patient as it comes true for you and your family.

One additional word of advice when it comes to your pond dreams...involve the Mrs in the pond! If she loves it, you will get OK's for MUCH cooler stuff to care for/build it!

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Rainman
You titled this thread, "The Dream Chasing is Over"??? Dude, your dreams are just beginning!!! I love your enthusiasm and look forward to seeing you progress.

Rainman, you couldn't be more correct LOL... The dreams are just beginning.
I have not contacted the NRCS yet, I need to get on the ball with that. I have a pond builder coming survey the property and talk about the project on Friday. I have slit if ideas to go over with him.

I have quotes already ranging from 25-40k for the project, to dig 1 acre pond, level the 7 acres and build it up some, build up 1 acre for my home site 18"-24" and 1/2 acre for my barn site, plus build up for the roads.

From what I have read this seems to be pretty average price. Now, it's to decide who to go with..

As always, any input is appreciated

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Beaux,

Sounds and looks great man. On the whole cow thing. I can tell you this. My neighbor next to my cabin has about 10 cows. And he rotates them constantly into 3 different fields. Each field is 10 / 17/ and 11 acres. He rotates them cows all the time!! Just letting you know.

Here is 1 other side note.

I too have a 1 acre pond. I too have Bass and CNBG in it along with some RES and a few HSB. And although I love it there is only 1 thing I wish and that is I wish it was bigger! I.M.O. a 2 acre pond would be the ultimate pond to manage. Just something to think about now while your starting to dig soon. Of course I know you can only afford what you can afford, but if money is not an issue I would really think about it.

Some avantages of a 2 acre pond verus a 1.

1. You can sustain a lot more LMB / and CNBG.
2. They will have more room to grow specially your LMB.
3. Not as easy to spook fish in a larger pond.
4. Pond doesn't get out of whack so quick with fish when they spawn specailly LMB.
5. Able to have a higher biomass in your pond when it comes to larger fish IE: your LMB.
6. It's still not so large that it takes a lot of money to manage.

Anyway like I said that's just me talking, good luck and keep us posted no matter what you do. Congrats man!!

RC

P.S. Of course all this would depend on what your watershed is and how much it can handle.

Last edited by RC51; 06/25/14 08:05 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Think about all possible future applications (what you want or envision)and start the process - live the dream.

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
RC, thanks for the encouragement and all your insight... I will definitely consider going bigger if I can swing it.

On the cows, that's sounds like the rule of thumb I've always heard. Roughly one cow per acre.. I only have plans to have one cow at a time to have some good grass fed beef, just for the family. Send one to the butcher and get another wink

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
In my arid area, the rule is 1 cow to 25 to 40 acres.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Beaux, You must be a happy man indeed to be married to a girl who is willing sacrifice the convenience of supermarket life for that of the sights, sounds and scents of the open range. There must be little to compare to the freedom of selecting the birds you decide to cook for supper, then catching, killing, eviscerating and disposing of the waste before serving them up as a savory dish for the family to enjoy. And that says nothing of the whetting of the appetite that comes from stuffing the head, feet and entrails into a baggie for disposal.

The garden you'll be able to grow with the animal fertilizer excitedly gathered by the wife and boys will be the envy of the neighborhood.

Imagine the pleasure of the neighbors at being awakened at daylight by the raucous cackling of hens, crowing of roosters and lowing of cattle. Add to that the pleasant scents of the barnyard wafting over their yards on a gentle south breeze as they and their guests enjoy a barbecue and you'll be a special neighbor indeed.

I've googled Vida Shaw Road and see that you're in Iberia Parish. The Sheriff of Iberia Parish is a friend, Louis Ackal, and the Chief Deputy is my nephew, Bert Berry; you might want to pop in to say hello (bring donuts) and to ask if they've ever before put down a lynch mob. I know that each has an extraordinary sense of humor as I hope you do.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
LOL! That is the one thing i did notice in his pictures it does look like he has some fairly close neighbor's!! smile As funny as Dudley is trying to be he does have a point. Be careful of your neighbors they can get ugly!! I know all to well.....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
RC, in many cases, the fun is in the planning, kind of like an elk hunt - once you squeeze the trigger you realize that you're on a steep mountainside and two miles from the nearest road with a big mess on your hands.

O
O
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
RC, in many cases, the fun is in the planning, kind of like an elk hunt - once you squeeze the trigger you realize that you're on a steep mountainside and two miles from the nearest road with a big mess on your hands.

I hiked 7 miles into the Rockies when I was in my early 20's to bow hunt elk.. To this day I have no idea what I would have done if I shot one..

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry

I hiked 7 miles into the Rockies when I was in my early 20's to bow hunt elk.. To this day I have no idea what I would have done if I shot one..

Probably vowed never to do that again! It would have taken a number of trips to get it all out. That's why I used an outfitter. No way could I drag one out, and bringing horses from Indiana is just not an option.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Once again, a thread here on the forum has caused me to search my bookshelves for another masterpiece by Patrick McManus.....

The story is entitled "Share and Share Alike", and it can be found in the absolutely brilliant and excruciatingly funny collection containing some of his best work: "Never Sniff a Gift Fish"

It deals with elk hunting, and the difficulties associated with retrieving the downed animal. Priceless stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM