Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
U
Uncle E Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Hello to all,

I've been reading this wonderful forum since November of 2013, and I subscribed to the magazine very soon afterwards. I enjoy reading all the suggestions and I look forward to using a lot of them in my own pond.

My pond was dug in late fall of 2013. It is 1/2 acre in size (138’ x 132’) with an average depth of 6’. I believe it is 8’ to 9’ at the deepest point. I wanted it to be about 40% larger & at least 3’ deeper, but the contractor hit solid limestone much sooner than we expected. I live in Warren County, VA about 75 miles west of Washington DC, right in the middle of limestone heaven!

The pond was built to have a quiet place to relax and to allow me and my friends and family a place to go fishing. I would like to be able to pull enough fish to put on the dinner table a few times each year, and maybe a late summer fish fry. My ultimate objective is a balanced pond with decent sized LMB (or whatever other predator fish I decide on) and pan fish. I am sure my wife will want a “pretty” fountain from Aqua Control.

Unfortunately, my pond filled very quickly before any structure, other than 2 rock piles in the deepest part, could be added. I am going to stack several clean pallets for FHM breeding in the shallow part. I plan to sink at least 6 cut cedar trees along the deeper “forest side” of the bank, and I have the materials to make 3 large fish trees and place them in 6’ – 8’ of water using a small boat.

I live within an hours drive to Zetts Fish Farm in WV, so stocking should be easy. I gave them a call last week and was told I could get fish as early as next week (3-28-14). I was considering the standard FHM/BKF/GSH - BG/RES/LMB stocking plan, but I am open to suggestions. I have also thought about HSB instead of LMB. I would also like to add some YP and/or BCP for a little bit of variety on the dinner table. I haven’t given any thought to CC. I don’t particularly care to eat CC, but maybe I need a few for reasons I haven’t considered?

After reading the forums for months, this is what I thought about stocking, please correct me as you see fit.

Spring 2014 - 3 pounds of FHM, 2 pounds each of BKF & GSH, 350 1"-2" BG & 100 1"-2" RES
Spring 2015 – 25 each 3"-4" LMB (Or whatever other predator fish the majority of people recommend)

I don’t have a problem feeding the fish since my pond is only steps away from my back door, and fish food is reasonably priced. I also believe that I can add aeration at a later date, if it is needed. Something else I have is time; I’m only 45 and have many years to do this right.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to reading the answers!

Attached Images
DSCN0003.JPG DSCN0005.JPG DSCN0008.JPG

I subscribe!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Uncle E, welcome to Pond Boss. I am glad you have enjoyed the forum. As you have already seen, there are a lot of great people on here. I live in Stafford County, VA and have several friends in the Linden/Front Royal/Winchester area. Very nice areas out your way... I drive through there a couple dozen times a year on my way up to our hunting cabin in PA down I-66/I-81.

Here's my take on things... I am not a fan of LMB in ponds less than 1 and even 2 acre except for very specific goals which you have not expressed. I think you would be better served leaving the BG and LMB out of your pond and going about your goals in a different manor. I would look at stocking RES and YP as your "panfish". You could also consider RBS. I am ordering some this spring and if you would like, I can share some with you as the minimum order is more than I will need. I would then consider HSB as your predator along with possibly WE. The idea of non reproducing predators in a smaller pond is appealing as controlling the reproduction of species like LMB is difficult in a smaller pond. Sourcing HSB is fairly easy and WE can be sourced as well with a bit more challenge. Stocking one or the other every other year can lead to fish of different size classes and quality angling. SMB can also be stocked in your pond. I think they will not overpopulate with the lack of suitable spawning areas in your pond.

Take your time and get the forage base established. Patience will pay off! I would also look at getting the soil around your pond tested as well as the water. Although there is a limestone bedrock in that area, the soil is still often quite acidic. A friend of mine had a pH of 5.7 in a food plot he did a few years back in the Linden area. If those trees are going to stay flooded, they will die. Especially the pines. I would look into cutting them down before they become a hazard. I would also begin planning for investing in an aeration system. With so many trees near and around your pond, you will end up with a lot of lead litter in your pond. You will want a good aeration system to help break it down. It can also act as an insurance system to prevent future fish kills. Since I am out your way regularly, if you would like me to stop in and take a look in person, drop me a PM.

Best of luck!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Uncle E - Welcome from another neighbor. I'm about 20 miles west of Winchester, just off US 50, right over the line in Hampshire County.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
U
Uncle E Offline OP
OP Offline
U
CJBS, Thank you for taking the time to respond, I sincerely appreciate it! I really like your idea of the YP & HSB stocking plan & I have decided that is the plan for me. I like it because I think the BG - LMB route seems kind of ordinary; I can go fishing for them in about 50 farm ponds within a 20 mile radius of my house, but I don't know of a single YP & HSB pond anywhere around here.

I agree with the acid soil statement. The soil is fairly acidic around here, even with the limestone base. I haven’t had a chance to measure the pond water quality yet, but I would guess it is a bit on the acidic side. It was initially filled by ONE overnight rain storm and runoff from an adjoining 60 acres of fields. I am also finding that the pine trees are dropping a fair number of pine needles into the pond. I am assuming I will have to spread some lime in the water in the very near future.

Zetts in WV (this is their catalog http://zettsfishhatchery.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/CompleteCatalog.pdf) advertises what they call a “Seminole Stripped Yellow Perch” a “Spotted Small Mouth Bass” and a “Small Mouth Black Bass” I don’t see that they have any RES or RBS but I can find out tomorrow when I call them to pro-order my minnows. I am using them because they are very close to me and I can drive and get the fish myself, unless someone tells me to use someone else.

With that said, can you suggest a stocking “plan” I guess what I am asking is how many fish, what size & when should I stock them. Keeping in mind I don’t have a problem feeding. Oh, and one more thing…should I put in a few catfish?

I subscribe!
U
Uncle E Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Hello catmandoo AKA Ken, Thank you for the "Welcome" Since you and your fish live within an hours drive, would you care to chime in? I would really like to have your opinion as well.

Last edited by Uncle E; 03/24/14 01:37 PM.

I subscribe!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails