Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, IND1371, dg84s, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 766 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#364242 01/27/14 10:58 AM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I know that this has been covered previously, but could I get a refresher course on fly fishing with Stubby Steve baits. I have bought a supply of SS products and want to use the nuggets to remove some of the grass carp in my lake that routinely feed at the feeder. I am curious about the hook sizes and type of hooks to use and the basic setup. Thanks

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hi Bill sounds like a fun project!

You want a hook that is light enough to float the pellet, strong enough not to straighten with a 10-40# GC screaming drag.

I've had luck with sz 8-10 octopus or baitholder hook.

If you're going after GC I'd recommend using mh spinning gear instead of your flyrod unless you have a 6 wt or bigger. If you attach a small spring bobber 4-6' above the hook it provides enough weight to cast. If GC are weary try using a 8-10# florocarbon leader below the float.

Fly fishing stubby steves is fun, but if you only have one shot at your GC before they get hookshy I'd approach it in a more utilitarian manner. That's what I do to remove brood SMB from my reproduction pond - don't have time to waste on missing them with a flyrod - I hook up much more reliably with the spinning rig.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Bill Douglas
I know that this has been covered previously, but could I get a refresher course on fly fishing with Stubby Steve baits. I have bought a supply of SS products and want to use the nuggets to remove some of the grass carp in my lake that routinely feed at the feeder. I am curious about the hook sizes and type of hooks to use and the basic setup. Thanks

Bill, I belive a GC to be the best sport fish in a pond.
I agree with TJ to experiment to find the strongest hook that will float a Stubby.
They are a very “skittish” fish and delicate presentation is necessary - I haven’t tried a Stubby on a bobber but think with a splash the GC will disappear in a flash.

I fish for them with an 8-10wt - they will put you in the backing in a heartbeat and make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Expect break-offs and straightened hooks with light tackle!

I love to sight fish for them when feeding on pellets with a foam fly - they will sip a fly and remaining GC will keep on feeding if you can direct and fight fish away from feeding area. If removing them is your goal, be sure and take them out or they will be hook shy.

Have fun,
George

[img]http://[/img]

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've caught some pretty large fish on a #10 Owner Mosquito hook. A single Stubby Steves will float with one. I put the hook thru the corner of the pellet to leave a lot of the hook exposed for a better hook set.

If you are worried about breaking or straightening out a hook, get a digital or regular scale that will stay at the highest reading that it sees. Tie the hook that you are planning on using on a heavy line. Pick up a weight with the line attached to the scale by putting a line on the weight with a loop in the end. Put the hook thru the loop and pull up. When the hook bends or breaks, stop and look at the weight that the scale saw. Now when using that hook, adjust your drag accordingly (under the failure weight) or 1/3 the breaking strength of your line, whichever is less.

Go fishing.

I like using that hook because it's very sharp and it has a turned up eye, leaving more room to get the hook a bigger bite on the fish (at least that's what I tell myself). grin I can't remember breaking one.

Owner hook at Cabelas

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
I agree with G, casting a float into a school of feeding GC and they'll likely scatter. If you're going to try a spinning rig, I would suggest casting the float rig out first and get the stubbys in the correct feeding zone. Once it's there, fire up the feeder or toss your pellets around your stubbys pellet. If the rig is in the zone already, they won't be spooked by a float splashing down and will likely disregard it entirely as nothing threatening. This works for me on super shy HSB and SMB in my pond when I don't feel like exhausting them on a flyrod - I cast first, then feed second. My largest rod, however, is a 6 wt...so that's another reason for the spinning rig for larger fish I want to land quickly. A 10#+ HSB on 6 wt rod takes some time to subdue.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I agree with G, casting a float into a school of feeding GC and they'll likely scatter. If you're going to try a spinning rig, I would suggest casting the float rig out first and get the stubbys in the correct feeding zone. Once it's there, fire up the feeder or toss your pellets around your stubbys pellet. If the rig is in the zone already, they won't be spooked by a float splashing down and will likely disregard it entirely as nothing threatening. This works for me on super shy HSB and SMB in my pond when I don't feel like exhausting them on a flyrod - I cast first, then feed second. My largest rod, however, is a 6 wt...so that's another reason for the spinning rig for larger fish I want to land quickly. A 10#+ HSB on 6 wt rod takes some time to subdue.
TJ, I am really glad that you brought up the subject of sizes of fly rods for pond fishing – You hit the nail on the head , “My largest rod, however, is a 6 wt.”
We have been talking about beginner fly rods that guys and gals have in possession or beginner fly rods usually in the 5 and 6-wt range. I think it is timely to move to the next level.

Personally, I would never recommend a bobber to cast a fly on to a person that is capable of casting a fly rod – or – cast first and feed second – defeats the whole process IMO.

Upgrade your equipment when pursuing POND species exceeding ~5 pounders.
There are lots of fly rods out there capable of horsing our big LMB out of brush piles or taming big HSB. I have a healthy collection of fly rods ranging from ~$200.00 TFOs to high dollar Sages and Winston in weights from 8 to 12.

My very favorite of them all is Temple Fork Outfitters 8-10 MiniMag that is one third the cost of Sages etc and has a lifetime no fault guarantee to boot.
Yes, I am somewhat biased because I did the major field-testing for the manufacturer, representing the “average” consumer.
http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/mini-mag-series.html#.UueJ1NLnYrg

As TJ says “when I don't feel like exhausting them on a flyrod”.
Time to step up to the plate guys – don’t kill your fish by over playing them on light tackle.

I’ll get into the specs on the Tackle thread.
George

George

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I have an 8 weight Redington fly rod that I have used for bass and salmon and I would think that it would do the trick. I have caught several grass carp on a 5 weight and I will say that it was quite a fight. The heavier fly rod will be a lot more efficient. For a leader, I am thinking about using a piece of 8 lb mono. Does that sound about right? I think the largest carp in my lake are currently around 10 lbs.

As a side note, I caught a 10 lb carp last fall on a rattletrap. He was actually hooked in the mouth. At first, I thought I had a monster bass on. Took a while to get him in.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Bill Douglas
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I have an 8 weight Redington fly rod that I have used for bass and salmon and I would think that it would do the trick. I have caught several grass carp on a 5 weight and I will say that it was quite a fight. The heavier fly rod will be a lot more efficient. For a leader, I am thinking about using a piece of 8 lb mono. Does that sound about right? I think the largest carp in my lake are currently around 10 lbs.

As a side note, I caught a 10 lb carp last fall on a rattletrap. He was actually hooked in the mouth. At first, I thought I had a monster bass on. Took a while to get him in.

Bill, an 8 wt Redington will be a great pond fly rod IMO.
FWIW I use a Gamakatsu or Mustad #4 or 6 Drop Shot hook when using sinking Stubbys - as mentioned by TJ and Scott you will have to experiment to see what floats your Stubbys.
I don't go smaller than 12lb tapered or furled leader/tippet when fishing for LMB, HSB, or GC.
Sound like you are going to have a bunch of fun!
Best,
George

T
TSK Offline
T
Speaking of Stubby Steve, has anyone ordered from them recently? I ordered a few a while back and never got them. I emailed them several times and never got a response. I forgot about it till now, so this was several months back. Just curious if anyone had better luck with them...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes and no problem and quick. Send Stacy a PM at Stacy4Stubby.

Last edited by ewest; 01/28/14 08:19 PM.

TSK, let us know what you find out. It's about time to make my Spring order. Fly fishing is about matching the hatch, and my hatch is Aquamax pellets. Stubby Steve's is the perfect bait for this.

AL

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
About the clear water, my water stays pretty muddy so far and I'm just wondering how the turbid water will work with the flies?

Last edited by Cisco; 01/31/14 08:58 AM.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Cisco
About the clear water, my water stays pretty muddy so far and I'm just wondering how the turbid water will work with the flies?

Cisco, everyone knows, or should know, that I swim against the tide most of the time and sometimes nealy drown… grin... but I love turbid water – to a point.

Case in point – we constantly fight overpopulation of LMB.
LMB are sight feeders – they cannot thrive when they can’t catch enough forage. Spawning is limited in turbid water in ever changing water depths in drought ridden Texas waters.
I love to catch LMB on topwater bugs - turbid water is not a major issue for me.

Major point – feed trained species get hook shy in clear water.They will eat sinking Stubby Steve and ph pellet flies because of fish food smell attractant.

Clear water begs for massive chara invasion.

Hve fun,
George

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: TSK
Speaking of Stubby Steve, has anyone ordered from them recently? I ordered a few a while back and never got them. I emailed them several times and never got a response. I forgot about it till now, so this was several months back. Just curious if anyone had better luck with them...

Not recently, but there have been malfunctions in the past.

I would just order them from esshup.
Make sure ya don't say that "I'm thinking of this", otherwise a package will show up that is only a partial thought wink

Make sure your orders are Confirmed!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh

JKB, if you want to swap out anything that you don't think you'll be using, LMK. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I handed out almost everything I got last year and only have a small stash left for myself, so I'll have to get more this year.

The reports were slow to come in, but so far everyone is giving SS a thumbs up!

I'm waiting for the Blue to come out. Trust me on this... wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
White + blue food coloring? Or just use a blue sharpie. grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Ugh! The post office drives me out of my mind sometimes!!! I don't see how they do what they do and we wouldn't have a business without them, thank goodness for them... but, packages get lost. frown I can promise we mail out orders the very same day they are ordered or the next day if it's during the evening or on the weekend. Trust me, it's Steve's thing. I'm bad about only fulfilling orders by my email notices and I don't often get on the actual store (which sometimes people leave messages on)... I'll do better!

So, please, anyone feel free to call me ANYTIME you have a problem or think it's taking too long for your package to arrive. I promise, we will make it right! And, yes, by all means buy our lures from Scott. He can better recommend what he thinks you might need since he knows most of you....

Now that's said,.... wink Thank you guys for thinking of us. We truly learn from YOU all! And believe me, we try your techniques out as well!

We've been really busy making new colors (still trying to sweet talk on that blue!) and new lure bodies. One new lure we just started making this week will be AWESOME for fly fishing! Steve is bringing in two more colors tomorrow for us to work on and I'll take a good photo to show you.

Is anyone fishing right now? I'd love to send some out to a few people to give us their opinion on it. Goodness knows we won't be fishing for a while with this weather!

Thanks so much!

P.S. Mr. Hanners,... you probably go the postcard with my "Trout Pattie" recipe on it. Trust me, you'll be glad you made it!!!

Last edited by Stacy4Stubby; 02/02/14 11:19 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday